• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Terrain Based Learning

medfordmike

My season ended just last week and while I love the summer I am already thinking ahead to next season. Specifically my spouse who has not skied in years after breaking their arm at Stowe has decided to "relearn" next year. They saw in my Killington 4241 adverzine an article on terrain based learning. All of a sudden they got interested in taking it back up.

My question to the group is do you think this method really makes a difference or is it a nice to have vs. more traditional training? They were a low blue skier before their fall. I am all for the trying it but I wonder how much a difference it makes vs. a good instructor in a small class setting or private lesson on a low key day. I am all for lessons since divorce lawyers are expensive.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I have not taught at a resort that uses TBL. I've skied through Killington's a number of times. I've seen Jiminy Peak's from the base. My impression was that it was for REALLY basic skillsets. Each "feature" had a description and it was explaining goals and such. It started with just gliding into a counterslope and ended with introductory turning. What I didn't understand was... if you were able to get on/off the chairlift (needed to access these areas), you were beyond the skills being taught in the Terrain Based Learning area. It really was that basic. The only thing I really liked was that each feature had a counterslope to catch the person. But, if said person had already ridden a chairlift they, would know how to stop after unloading, since there's no counterslope there? :wink:

Killington's was VERY long, VERY flat, and I could only estimate that it takes a good 30 minutes to go through it once with a class. It is for true beginners that have no athleticism. It was interesting to ski through, but I felt a tradition progression from walk up and ski down, to carpet, to chairlift would be much quicker paced.

Here's the short version answer of the question you posed: No, I would not take someone who has skied before through a Terrain Based Learning area. A one-hour private lesson will have her skiing much much more than that ;-)

bigkhan

Terrain or fun based learning is absolutely for first time skiers. My home mountain won't even put you in there beyond first lesson or two.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

boston_e

I'd think a couple of one hour private lessons over a weekend or two would be a better choice.

jack97

how many wives do you have? lucky man?

The last part/question is debatable.....

As for what is Terrain Based Learning? Below is Killington's vid on this. Appears to be fun and different than the traditional teaching methods. Reminds me when my daughter was learning to ski, I took her on trials that had gullies or singe rollers so that she could feel how moving the center of mass would alter her speed. Those features usually form from trail run off, they would leave it as a gully or they put a metal/plastic cover over the run off and it would be a single roller.

drjeff

One of the main people behind the push of Terrain Based Learning is Joe Hession, his fiancee is Haley O'Brien, the blonde who has made many of the humorous ski theme videos for ski magazine this year.

They're a young ski industry couple who are going to be players in the industry for a while to come I'm guessing

jrmagic

I was a science major not an English one. It is hard enough to be married to one person.

Lol no worries.... just sounds confusing to read. It dis sound like you were a polygamist for a bit:)Actually went and checked and as of a couple of months ago, some Grammarians okayed the singular use for non gender pronoun. Would probably be easier if they created a new one but I guess I can adapt.

medfordmike

Lol no worries.... just sounds confusing to read. It dis sound like you were a polygamist for a bit:)Actually went and checked and as of a couple of months ago, some Grammarians okayed the singular use for non gender pronoun. Would probably be easier if they created a new one but I guess I can adapt.

Wow so I am cutting edge in the grammar department? You made my weak (I guess I am still a bad speller :wink:).

mister moose

TBL might be useful for someone who was a "low blue" and "has not skied in years". But the rate of progression will be rapid, too rapid for a class with true never-evers. Maybe a private to start once or twice, then some blue classes on a quiet day. Don't go on busy holiday weekends, and make sure the weather is pleasant and the conditions are decent.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Probably, the biggest problem with "terrain based learning" is that there are no consistent standards for instruction and no standard set of features for a TBL terrain park. I think that for a motivated adult, a group of 2 to 4 private lessons will yield far better results.