• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Black Keys

kickstand

I have a few of their older CD's and they are phenomenal. Wish I had discovered them earlier than about a year ago. I'll need to listen to this new stuff a few times.

wa-loaf

I have a few of their older CD's and they are phenomenal. Wish I had discovered them earlier than about a year ago. I'll need to listen to this new stuff a few times.

I feel the same. This new album seems to go to a new level.

Mildcat

One of my favorite bands! I hear their music in movies, commercials, and tv shows but rarely hear them on the radio. I can't understand how they haven't become a household name. Just goes to show the masses are asses.

wa-loaf

One of my favorite bands! I hear their music in movies, commercials, and tv shows but rarely hear them on the radio. I can't understand how they haven't become a household name. Just goes to show the masses are asses.

They get a fair amount of play here. I hear the new single all the time.

Edd

Saw them in Boston a few years ago and they were excellent. But...I've seen Dan Auerbach (one of the members) do a solo billed show (backed up with a band) a couple of times since at the Paradise Rock Club in Boston and those were 2 of the best shows I've seen. So much noise in such a small venue. I could watch that show again and again.

wa-loaf

Saw them in Boston a few years ago and they were excellent. But...I've seen Dan Auerbach (one of the members) do a solo billed show (backed up with a band) a couple of times since at the Paradise Rock Club in Boston and those were 2 of the best shows I've seen. So much noise in such a small venue. I could watch that show again and again.

The Dan Auerbach album is good too. Sorry I missed out on seeing them in small venues. I think they'll be playing bigger places now.

ctenidae

Wow, that's some good stuff. Havent really been into their stuff, but might need to give it another listen.

I haven't been into them, either, but I keep hearing their songs and thinking "Gosh, I like this, who is it?" and being surprised to see who it is

kickstand

These songs are pretty good and I liked "Tighten Up", too, but compared to their first couple of albums, it sounds very over-produced. I really like the raw garage band feel of "Thickfreakness" and "The Big Come Up". Since I got into them so late in their career, I've purposely been buying their CD's chronologically by release date, just so I can hear how they've changed. I have a feeling I'm going to like the newer stuff less than the older stuff.

JFP

Love the black keys, when I first 'Heavy Soul' on a high school radio station a few years back I thought they were from the 70's & had to check them out. Love the garage band sound from the earlier albums..

wa-loaf

These songs are pretty good and I liked "Tighten Up", too, but compared to their first couple of albums, it sounds very over-produced. I really like the raw garage band feel of "Thickfreakness" and "The Big Come Up". Since I got into them so late in their career, I've purposely been buying their CD's chronologically by release date, just so I can hear how they've changed. I have a feeling I'm going to like the newer stuff less than the older stuff.

I think that's the evolution of a lot of bands. I think I can appreciate the older more raw stuff and the new produced stuff. Though since I got into them a little late I'm not as attached to the old stuff as I am with some other bands.

wa-loaf

So been listening to the whole thing for a couple days. It is much more produced than anything they've done in the past. But I am still really digging it.

Edd

The Dan Auerbach album is good too. Sorry I missed out on seeing them in small venues. I think they'll be playing bigger places now.

You are correct. They're coming soon to Boston and Portland and the venues are bigger. I don't see myself going to these places. Hopefully Dan Auerbach keeps doing small solo shows.