• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Earn Your Turns" Thread Spring 2020

rdart

Lost Skin

Figured this would be a pretty good place to post. Did anyone loose a splitboard skin off little jay recently. I found one buried this past weekend. And since skinning with one skin would suck I was hoping to find the person who lost it.

uphillklimber

Sunday River:

Sunday River made the decision to suspend all resort operations on March 15 and close the mountain, lodging properties, restaurants, and base lodges until further notice. Please note that closing the mountain includes suspending all trail access including uphill travel.

machski

Sunday River:

Sunday River made the decision to suspend all resort operations on March 15 and close the mountain, lodging properties, restaurants, and base lodges until further notice. Please note that closing the mountain includes suspending all trail access including uphill travel.
Yup, they now consider it trespassing, so a fine County Sherrif may be waiting for you when you come off hill. That was a hard pivot, but they align with SL and Loon for Boyne now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

uphillklimber

Yup, they now consider it trespassing, so a fine County Sherrif may be waiting for you when you come off hill. That was a hard pivot, but they align with SL and Loon for Boyne now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

A friend sent me a copy and paste of their new message:

The closure of our resort includes all facilities and activities. Accessing the mountain for skiing, snowboarding, sledding or hiking is prohibited and considered trespassing. There is no on-mountain support to transport or treat injured parties, and ignoring this closure puts our community at risk by potentially tying up much-needed medical resources, particularly during the statewide stay-at-home order which restricts non-essential travel and social gathering.

And yet another friend has stated that even the parking lots at the River are closed. Oh well, fun while it lasted.

Hawk

There are ways around everything. Especially if you are by yourself, smart and not stupid enough to get hurt. If I was living in Bethel, this would not stop me. There are many very discrete places to access the snow.

uphillklimber

There are ways around everything. Especially if you are by yourself, smart and not stupid enough to get hurt. If I was living in Bethel, this would not stop me. There are many very discrete places to access the snow.

Yes, there are. And I have learned to be quiet about it. As people learn of them, they crowd them out and congregate on the decks (as they did at Sunday River, leading up to them closing the entire facility).

I'm copying a piece of the stay at home order sent out:
Residents typically can leave if they're performing "essential" activities such as grocery shopping, going to the doctor or exercising while practicing safe social distancing.

They are not saying you can not do this, you are allowed to, just be smart, practice social distancing, etc.... Don't be a total bonehead like the folks at the River this past weekend.

flakeydog

And SB and MRG are closed after today.

Well I guess it was bound to happen. The shrinking pool was certainly concentrating the fish. MRG and Mt Ellen lots were 1/3 plus full last Saturday and a lot of non-green plates out there as well. Next will be keeping the masses off of the more sensitive hiking trails until after Memorial day. Tough in a normal year but will really be hard this year.

uphillklimber

Well I guess it was bound to happen. The shrinking pool was certainly concentrating the fish. MRG and Mt Ellen lots were 1/3 plus full last Saturday and a lot of non-green plates out there as well. Next will be keeping the masses off of the more sensitive hiking trails until after Memorial day. Tough in a normal year but will really be hard this year.

Agreed, we need to let things dry out a bit and the ground to firm up a bit before everyone turns it into a muddy quagmire.

kbroderick

The letter from Win Smith and Matt Lillard cites drawing people in as a significant reason for the closure:

Win Smith and Matt Lillard said:
...As we have become two of the last areas permitting this activity, we are concerned that this will now bring even more people into our community at a time when it is not in anyone’s best interest. Last weekend both Sugarbush and Mad River Glen saw a large volume of visitors traveling here from around the state and beyond. Though most were practicing social distancing we unfortunately understand that some may not have been following the proper guidelines. Given the favorable weather this weekend, we would anticipate even larger numbers if we don’t close uphill travel....

Sounds rather similar to the MWAC statement prior to WMNF closing the Cutler River Drainage, and I'm sure it's been a factor in every other uphill closure this spring. It's really unfortunate, though, that people who are local to Pinkham Notch can't do Sherbie laps to get out and exercise, and that MRV residents can't ski in what is effectively their own backyard.

So ya'll who can't figure out how not to travel, you are a significant part of the problem. Please stay local to your primary residence.

A lot of people who are local to the places that are closing have close connections to those mountains, whether via employment or just by being committed to being in the area, and consequently have some level of inclination to behave as asked, whether out of simple respect for the people they work with and work for, or because they know that their vehicles are somewhat recognizable and even if parked in out-of-the-way corners would eventually get noticed. Risking a no-trespass order and not being allowed back on property for a year or longer isn't something that many such people would take lightly.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The letter from Win Smith and Matt Lillard cites drawing people in as a significant reason for the closure:

Sounds rather similar to the MWAC statement prior to WMNF closing the Cutler River Drainage, and I'm sure it's been a factor in every other uphill closure this spring. It's really unfortunate, though, that people who are local to Pinkham Notch can't do Sherbie laps to get out and exercise, and that MRV residents can't ski in what is effectively their own backyard.

So ya'll who can't figure out how not to travel, you are a significant part of the problem. Please stay local to your primary residence.

A lot of people who are local to the places that are closing have close connections to those mountains, whether via employment or just by being committed to being in the area, and consequently have some level of inclination to behave as asked, whether out of simple respect for the people they work with and work for, or because they know that their vehicles are somewhat recognizable and even if parked in out-of-the-way corners would eventually get noticed. Risking a no-trespass order and not being allowed back on property for a year or longer isn't something that many such people would take lightly.

I get it and all, but the other big concern is SAR. Now I know that you and me will say, "we know what we are doing, we won't get hurt," but none of us know. It happens. That's why they are saying don't go out, especially in the WMNF.

uphillklimber

I get it and all, but the other big concern is SAR. Now I know that you and me will say, "we know what we are doing, we won't get hurt," but none of us know. It happens. That's why they are saying don't go out, especially in the WMNF.

But that is NOT what the authorities are saying. Again, I quote:
"Residents typically can leave if they're performing "essential" activities such as grocery shopping, going to the doctor or exercising while practicing safe social distancing."

( Edit:My bad, copied the wrong statement)

More here:
https://www.maine.gov/ifw/news-even...6FvaVga9hrwEJpN8iUgjugtQ-phPRG545lqCIt2gDUuSY

I get it, there are going to be boneheads out there, but they are so easily avoided. You just have to go out with the mindset that I may not be doing this. TBD once I arrive and take a look at the crowding. Most of what I do is sans crowds anyways. Most places I hike, I might see a half dozen people on any given day. There are places where I'll see the crowds (not going there these days).

I mean, if we are going to go along the lines of none of us know... And I do agree, none of us really do know, I guess I should be breaking out my asteroid shield as well, because, I just don't know an asteroid won't hit my house. These guidelines come to us from the best minds we have, the CDC, etc.... I take their guidelines as the minimum we need to do, and to be fair, I'm shuttered up in my house and have been for a day or so. But I am also gonna get outside and breath in some fresh air, well away from others, according to government guidelines.

Last edited: