• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Most Unusual Trails

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Saw a Facebook update from Epic asking about "unusual trails", and it got me wondering ... what do you consider an "unusual" trail? I don't really know how to define that, but I suppose it can mean a trail that has some characteristic that sets it apart. I'm also thinking that probably means something not standard, i.e. something that goes beyond "bumps", "woods", or "steepness".

Do you have any?

Maybe some combination of conditions can create an unusual trail ... for example at Sugarloaf near the bottom of Brackett there is a runout that is glades, but they trees are very thin and there is no brush underneath, and it's pretty low angle, so you can really cook through it and it doesn't feel like a typical glade, more like a trail with a bunch of trees in the middle of it.

Puck it

At Cannon and not on map, but there is a gladed run that ends with a runout on a stream for a few hundred yards. There is also a section off Kinsman near the bottom that can be seen from 93 that is a waterfall and stream bed that is skiable.

SIKSKIER

Cannon.Though there has been a new cutback since cut,the old way out of Middle Hardscrabble went uphill.Pretty interesting trying to straightline through the natural conditions to get enough speed to not climb.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Kind of perplexed by "unusual". But also at Cannon not on the map is on the way to Banshee slopes between banshee and Avy there is a whole river bed that can be skied

deadheadskier

Staff member
Summit Glade at Pico is a pretty unusual trail for the East. Not really a glade, more like 2-3 trails that are divided by tree stands, yet periodically rejoin back together as one trail.

drjeff

Great Eastern at Killington down below Northbrook Crossover heading towards Skyeship base- always thought it was interesting/unusual that you get to ski both over and under a bridge on the same trail

deadheadskier

Staff member
Great Eastern at Killington down below Northbrook Crossover heading towards Skyeship base- always thought it was interesting/unusual that you get to ski both over and under a bridge on the same trail

Sachem Trail at Okemo has that experience as well. Pretty cool.

drjeff

Beartrap at Mount Snow - not too many trails have their own dedicated sound system :)

cannonist

If you take the high country double up to the top of Waterville and then hike to the little used trail called upper express, the trail is quite erie, always ungroomed, and the remains of the summit quad and lift shack are right in the middle of it.

BenedictGomez

Not unusual per se, but I've never seen a trail that combines both the degree of difficulty and the degree of publicity as Liftline at Smuggs.

AdironRider

Profile at Cannon is worse when you crest the knoll about 2/3 of the way down and hit the boiler plate that you did not see.

Yard Sale!!!!

I had a pass there for 4 years. I skied that Profile trail once, called it good, and never will again.

Puck it

I had a pass there for 4 years. I skied that Profile trail once, called it good, and never will again.

On a Powder day, it is okay until skied off. It is amazing what the DPW can do with a bulldozer and ignore the ski area designer prints.

BenedictGomez

Tramline at Cannon?

I've never skied at Cannon, but Liftline at Smuggs is my nominee for hardest on-map trail in the east (that I've skied), and the ski lift is not only right above it, but the chairs are pretty low in spots. So you're skiing on a very difficult trail and you can literally hear people's conversations above you. It's a little weird.

There's another chair at Smuggs over on Morse that sometimes closes if they have too much snow (oxymoron phrase) because the chairs do not have enough clearance with skier's heads (this makes it a great poaching run that you can enter via a small stanchion of woods).

bdfreetuna

The Devil's Playground @ Bolton Valley ... this trail starts off as a normal glade, then turns into three steep chutes (you have to choose one), then turns back into a normal lowish angle glade. The kind of trail that begs for a repeat.

Preacher @ Bolton Valley ... very narrow and steepish in some places, and ends up curving around the Devil's Playground. Very unique run.

Valhalla @ Jay

Paradise @ Sugarbush, half bump run with an interesting and scenic approach, half glade with interesting terrain just beyond the official trail

The Jug @ Berkshire East... narrow, steep, and the whole trail is sort of concave from side to side, which is probably how it got the name

Azalea Path @ Jiminy Peak ... narrow windy little green circle detour

I tend to equate unusual with more interesting and more fun. These are some of my favorite runs, listed above.