• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ne_skier

the camera angle showing the new unload deck makes it look a bit high. do folks back east use about 18-20" from top of seat pad to snow? i reckon it's nicely built for sure.
Looks solid that's for sure. Hopefully it isn't as high up as Green's, one of the construction guys must've used their kid to measure the height on that one.

hughconway

Odd. It's almost like you guys had this information months ago but refused to accept it.

With some luck Magic gets the Red double put back together load tested and inspected between Xmas & NYE at best. The Black quad? There's always next year.

Do Work

I guess my biggest concern for them would be further delivery delays for the red haul hope.

Shits fucked up out there. "currently scheduled'' sounds a bit disconcerting.

We purposely selected a domestic wire rope manufacturer (and paid extra) to eliminate the potential for international shipping issues on the back end of this process. We are in constant contact with them and they have been extremely forthcoming with updates and clarifications. The two week delay was due to a shortage of core material, but it's just a matter of finishing the build itself now, as the stranding began last Thursday. It takes a week to complete the 6 strands and they are still on schedule to be completed tomorrow. Then it's on to "Closing" or combining the strands into a rope around the core material. Their planetary closer runs at 30rpm and lay length is 10.25 inches so 30x10.25=307 inches per minute, 11,000 feet is 132,000 inches so that means it needs 430 minutes or 18 full hours to fully close, then package and ship.. Just to share with you the most to-the-minute details I currently have on that.

All other components and rigging are already onsite. Hope that helped, I've got to run back to my regularly scheduled muddy hole! #cheers

IceEidolon

I think that's the most detailed lift status update I've ever seen. Kudos for transparency.

Newpylong

I know I would feel a tremendous sense of pride if I had restored the snowmaking of a ski area back to what is was at full build out save one trail. This is in addition to replacing 1 chair that was entirely removed, getting close to completing another, and essentially replacing a third with surface lifts.

Not many operators can say that they've done that while retaining the character of the place.

ThatGuy

I know I would feel a tremendous sense of pride if I had restored the snowmaking of a ski area back to what is was at full build out save one trail. This is in addition to replacing 1 chair that was entirely removed, getting close to completing another, and essentially replacing a third with surface lifts.

Not many operators can say that they've done that while retaining the character of the place.
It really is a testament to the dedication of the community and management that Magic hasn’t ended up on NELSAP yet. Can’t wait to be up there this season.

IceEidolon

And on top of restoring the pipes, there are better snowguns than ever before available, in greater numbers, the pumps are overhauled with modern controls, the compressors are new and electric instead of diesel, pipes that were "good enough" are now done right - yeah, lots to be proud of.

slatham

Successful test yesterday of the new snowmaking pipes in the beginner area, which was built out by the Magic ops team. It seems when the Magic team is in control they get it done. It’s when outside contractors are involved that the frustration level surges, as anyone trying to get work done on their house or business right now can attest. Hopefully the contractor delivers in the end......

IceEidolon

Per FB guns are out on Lower Magic Carpet. They're planning to open that plus the learning center first, leaving the summit work road and the Red and Black base terminals clear for equipment access.

I wonder if we might see the new hydrants on Vertigo get some use if this coming window is as good as the optimists think - either that or stockpiled snow for the Summit trails where the work road isn't.

Newpylong

The wet bulb does not look promising for Southern VT at lower elevation so it's doubtful but who knows. A couple short windows at night next week. Historically it's a little early for them to pull the trigger.

MG Skier

SO much work has gone on up there this off season. Fingers crossed for summit A.S.A.P. I am sure no one is feeling that pressure more than ops right about now. Thank you Do Work and Crew!!!! Ski you soon!!!

slatham

The traditional Wand to Showoff route is off limits right now due to summit access on work road for lift repair. Hopefully this work can be completed before we go too far into December. There is no East side snowmaking route down that doesn't include the upper part of the work road (though theoretically they could focus skiers right of UMC to avoid the road once work on Red is done).

The window next week is not great but good enough Monday and especially Tuesday night to build some piles as a "down payment". Official opening day isn't until 12/18 and any opening before then would have been off of Green Lift anyhow (unless of course the weather pulled a 2018 scenario). So they run 400 loop on LMC and 300 loop on terrain park and beginner area (and if capacity allows Showoff as eventually they will need snow there).

Meanwhile we pray the lift gods change their mood and things come together.

IceEidolon

The window next week is not great but good enough Monday and especially Tuesday night to build some piles as a "down payment". Official opening day isn't until 12/18 and any opening before then would have been off of Green Lift anyhow (unless of course the weather pulled a 2018 scenario). So they run 400 loop on LMC and 300 loop on terrain park and beginner area (and if capacity allows Showoff as eventually they will need snow there).

Meanwhile we pray the lift gods change their mood and things come together.
And squaring away LMC now means that air and that line's water will be more available to attack Upper Magic Carpet when it isn't needed for access.