• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

In my opinion it will be key to groom after the last flake (still snowing a bit up here as of 9am Monday), while it’s cold, prior to warming temps. Whether natural terrain can make it will obviously depends up how high temps get and, more importantly, how sunny it gets.

I also know there was debate about making more snow on key run outs, but temp window down low doesn’t look great.

Also, although NOT in the forecast, there have been some *hints* that end of week precip event may be friendly. Maybe the good luck will continue. It is St Patty’s day after all……

Newpylong

Forecast for foreseeable future looks bleak (very warm, sunny and then the likely ra*n next weekend). I don't think making additional snow makes sense. Pack down what they got while it's cold and ride it out till the end.

TyWebb

Forecast for foreseeable future looks bleak (very warm, sunny and then the likely ra*n next weekend). I don't think making additional snow makes sense. Pack down what they got while it's cold and ride it out till the end.

Long way out but rumblings of arctic air starting to come in arnd 16th/17th till end of March and some good snow arnd the 20th - per the Euro model

JoeB-Z

Rather good skiing today. I just exhausted myself on Talisman. Interesting cold weather next week. Some touch up snow making could really make for a decent weekend. I have no idea if it is worth the expense.

ne_skier

Good skiing yesterday. Very mushy consistency, everything remotely steep got bumps by the end of the day. Talisman bumps are very big, almost trench-like. Tiring but fun with a good set of legs. Runout baaaaaarely had enough snow to make the connection across. Temps, at least the lows, look to be decreasing this week so they do have the option of making snow - that being said they shouldn't lose much if any snow this coming week so if their goal is only to make it to next weekend for the Spring Fling, snow harvesting for the Wizard runout should do.

Funny that now I'm remembering someone in November-ish reminding me that El Nino means more precipitation/wetness, not necessarily more snow. They were certainly right when Magic was only running the terrain park by the New Year and I was getting poured on back home. There's always next season, right?

IceEidolon

If precipitation on the liquid side is coming their way this week, which it seems like it is, it would be wise to pack down this new snow on most, if not any trail they feel can survive it. If the natural snow that fell on grass not along main routes won't survive the coming rain, and this could be a controversial take, would it be worth sacrificing less-important trails by using their snow to keep the main routes open? Like more or less calling it for Trudy's Run and Broomstick to keep Lower Wand/Hocus and Upper Wizard open, respectively. I guess it depends on feasibility and how positive your outlook is for the rest of this winter.
The diesel for that push project is probably cost prohibitive versus the actual reward, if you're talking stripping entire trails. Moving a couple bladefuls of snow, sure.

ne_skier

More just a bladeful or two, although the situation's certainly changed since I wrote that, Looks like the only two spots that should need that are the upper half of Hocus Pocus and the Wizard runout. Don't think there will be much melting this week given comparatively low temps compared to how March has been so far. For next weekend moving some snow from the sides of Hocus towards the middle to create a more usable path and pushing a few bladefuls down from the upper part of the Wizard runout and Lower Magician should do just fine. Weather heading into Easter weekend is more questionable.

cdskier

What did they agree on? Any numbers yet or just that its SNOW Happening?

As of NWS Burlington's 3PM update...

Heading into the weekend, we warm to near seasonable
temperatures. There is potential for some form of unsettled
weather due to the development of a coastal storm. However,
there remains too much uncertainty in the storm track and
consensus among model guidance to articulate any potential storm
impacts at this time. Stay tuned.

hughconway

Uh oh. I'm hearing there was a failure of some sort and the quad is likely down for the season.