• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

Here are my thoughts FWIW.

Proposed trail - Yes this is a Black/double back. It only takes out one glade, and its tough, narrow and infrequently skied (needs deep snow). When it has adequate snow its a hoot. The core of the trail would take out a rock band that makes that area not skiable as a glade. It would also make the most f'ing incredible combo trail into Tali. Imagine if Magician went into Tali rather than HOM? (don't get me wrong, I love HOM, but you get the point)

Chute - Once the Black Quad gets done, the logical conclusion is more skier traffic, which leads to the logical conclusion of more snowmaking, which leads to the conclusion that Tali, Sorcerer and "middle" Wizard will be online (so far I'm 2 out off 3). If you assume only snowmaking trails are open, then this puts a HUGE and DANGEROUS burden on Chute. It must be widened. The Magic purists be damned (I am one, but I have to face facts).

Thats my thought process.

Do Work

IMHO it would be easier to add a line to slide and make snow there/connect to groomers beyond Sorc than make a whole new trail on that windswept face that would be ungroomable anyways.

It wouldn’t be any easier skiing than the chute but it would give another option from that point.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Let the chute bump up. Slows people down and gives you something to stop on. :).

rocks860

I’m thinking of trying to get up there the week after next (quarantining and getting my covid test before obviously). How have the crowds been this year? Since I’m currently furloughed I figure I’ll try and go Thursday or Friday

NYDB

10-15min last sat on red from 10:30-3. I think we got like 4 laps in before there was any line at all.

Last Fri maybe 2-3 min wait on red from like 10-12.

It won't be busy thurs or Fri unless it's a powder day even during Feb break.

rocks860

I haven’t been out at all this year due to covid. Usually go to sugarbush for a week but that was out due to no quad packs and the uncertainty about quarantine and such. Would like to get out soon just requires so much planning ahead

Atomic

Hit Magic on Thursday for my first day this year and there was silky pow everywhere including 5 inches that fell the night before. Parking lot B was about half-full but it was pretty much ski-on all day. Phone froze up so no pics but safe to say the mountain is in fantastic shape. Run of the day was a very well groomed Broomstick to Heart of Magician, which was a soft-pillow dream and barely anyone on it - think I lapped it 5 times. Tali is all groomed out and never seemed to soften up in the mid-teen temps. There was even untracked to be found at the end of the day on the east side green/blues after my legs were cooked from the west side. Vibe was great per usual with off-and-on sun and blue sky with some pixie dust falling - a lot to love for 64 bucks.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Was there today and it was still skiing great. Only skied 1 full groomer run as it was our last run and missed another run by 6 or 7 chairs. Crowds were minimal(4 maybe 5 deep) less than last week. Also tried out some new tele gear as they had a demo day.
Loved the short very steep glades by the green lift warlock and white tiger.

ne_skier

Looked at the chute on Wizard when I was there today. Looks like they could skim some rock off on the right side if they really wanted to. Also skied Pitch Black and those bunched-up chairs have moved, so it likely was intentional. Overall a great day of skiing, snow conditions were good but thin cover, the snow they’ll get on Monday should take care of that.

NYDB

Figured powder day opening would be Tuesday not wed. Should be enough snow on the ground by Tuesday 6am to qualify no?

I have no skin in this particular game just wondering what the rules are/were for future planning.

ne_skier

Figured powder day opening would be Tuesday not wed. Should be enough snow on the ground by Tuesday 6am to qualify no?

I have no skin in this particular game just wondering what the rules are/were for future planning.
I take it they normally open for powder days if they come on mon, tues, wed. The weather channel app is predicting 5-8 monday night, so I could see a powder day opening given it's more towards 8. Could be wrong, don't take my word for it.

NYDB

^Right. But if there is enough snow on the ground by 6am tues, tues should be the powder day. Not wed. At least I thought those were the rules. Are there new covid powder day rules to comply with no day of ticket sales ?

No big deal, just wondering.

slatham

^Right. But if there is enough snow on the ground by 6am tues, tues should be the powder day. Not wed. At least I thought those were the rules. Are there new covid powder day rules to comply with no day of ticket sales ?

Yes so I agree that the threshold will be met Tuesday am. But it is supposed to snow Tuesday and maybe into Tuesday night. So the deepest powder day will be Wednesday and that is what they are going for. Other factors - serious powder hounds will ski other areas Tuesday and then come to Magic for a full, clean powder day on Wednesday. Also, since the are open Thursday this allows consecutive days open, not open, close, open again. Finally, I don’t think here is the bang for the buck - or manpower - for both Tuesday and Wednesday.

Good base on the mountain. Put even 8” on it and it will be great. 12”+ wow......

Newpylong

Well, the "powder" day would be when the snow is done. That would be Wednesday as it's supposed to snow on and off well into Tuesday. More time to plow lots, clean chairs etc as well. The snow isn't going anywhere.

JoeB-Z

Magic is in perfect shape for this coming snowfall. Sunday PM still had some lift lines. People would not quit. I am nursing a back problem so only groomers. Talisman is all groomed out and firm but holding an edge and super consistent. It skied really easy. Needs some bumps but the base is now dialed in. The groomed snow on Sorcerer was firmer and had an ice "incident" marked with poles. It was not really fun. That will be a really solid base. The chute was actually fun for a few turns!

Smellytele

Tree
Magic is in perfect shape for this coming snowfall. Sunday PM still had some lift lines. People would not quit. I am nursing a back problem so only groomers. Talisman is all groomed out and firm but holding an edge and super consistent. It skied really easy. Needs some bumps but the base is now dialed in. The groomed snow on Sorcerer was firmer and had an ice "incident" marked with poles. It was not really fun. That will be a really solid base. The chute was actually fun for a few turns!
Trees and ungroomed are set up nice for this new snow as well. Only place that had firm bumps was the trail leading to red line and goniff glade on Saturday

Do Work

You're absolutely right by raw expected snow totals, but the storm is supposed to go all day through Tuesday so opening Weds with storm total everywhere just makes a lot more sense for us operationally. People who are skiing free refills elsewhere on Tuesday can still come to Magic Weds for full untouched storm total deepness. We've tried to communicate the Weds opener as early and as publicly as we can help people plan their powder skiing bonanza most effectively.

NYDB

Anyone know what is going on 2/8 at Magic? The past couple years Magic has opened the Monday after Superbowl.

This year on their calendar it says private mountain rental. Which I have no reason not to believe but I know companies have rented the mountain as part of a marketing maneuver and opened it up to all.

If it is a private rental they may luck into a nice powder day. And if it is RK miles I think this would be like 3 out of 4 years getting a powder day.

slatham

Anyone know what is going on 2/8 at Magic? The past couple years Magic has opened the Monday after Superbowl.

This year on their calendar it says private mountain rental. Which I have no reason not to believe but I know companies have rented the mountain as part of a marketing maneuver and opened it up to all.

If it is a private rental they may luck into a nice powder day. And if it is RK miles I think this would be like 3 out of 4 years getting a powder day.
Not sure who is renting, but I do know that Super Bowl Monday was to a large degree about the Super Bowl Sunday at BLT. That ain’t happening this year.