• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

Well they are on the list becasue they are very rare. I have never seen one. We put out suet at my please all winter. Tons of Junkos, Chickadees, woodpeckers, tufted titmouse, nuthatch and jays. No thrushes.

machski

People are mostly pissed that we will be at a reduced trail count for an extended period of time. It is what it is. We are gettign a new lift. Because I have IKON, I will break up the monotony of skiing by going to Killington or Sunday River or the Loaf a day or two. Can't do that with Epic. ;-)
But reduced trail count has nothing to do with the closing day. We are closing on May 5th after the Kentucky derby party and Cinco de Mayo. Other than Killington, who else in the east will be open? Sunday River is closing 5/1, the Loaf 4/28. Stratton, Mt Snow, Jay and Stowe all in April. I know it will be Steins, Steins, Steins but it will be primo spring conditions every weekend with bands and beer and friends on the plaza........ every weekend.

Maybe I will use my IKON and go ski Snowbird. I hear it might be good out there.
Actually, SR is closing 4/28. Sugarloaf has not published it's spring schedule but are offering tickets straight through to 4/30 currently. That is the middle of the week, but their ticket calendar won't open for May. Have to think they go through first weekend of May, especially if this storm delivers.

djd66

Anyone have insight on why they took down the feed for both the Lincoln peak and heaven’s gate web cams? Would have been nice to watch the progress. Construction related?

tumbler

Yes for construction at the summit, that shack is coming down. I agree it would be fun to watch but there are enough armchair QB's on here already.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Anyone have insight on why they took down the feed for both the Lincoln peak and heaven’s gate web cams? Would have been nice to watch the progress. Construction related?
That seems odd. Maybe they called BenedictGomez in to do some Bicknell Thrush eradication and did not want video evidence? ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
As posted in the Alterra Sucks thread, another marketing mis-step IMHO. It would have been better not to have responded.

img_1663-png.62399

Hawk

I assume they have or will cut the power to the lift as it is being removed. The camera is mounted to the lift shack. The snow stake up there is out also so I bet they already cut the power and are working on dismantling the patrole shack, lift house and maybe the ramp? I don't know about the lift line camera. Maybe that building is on the same electric feed.

cdskier

Cutting the top cams made sense and didn't surprise me as they start taking down the power and communications equipment up there. The one on the HG pump house looking at the bottom of the lift was odd though. I did catch several people bombing down DS late yesterday before the cam went offline. Love how some people have no respect for construction closures.

Getskied

I assume they have or will cut the power to the lift as it is being removed. The camera is mounted to the lift shack. The snow stake up there is out also so I bet they already cut the power and are working on dismantling the patrole shack, lift house and maybe the ramp? I don't know about the lift line camera. Maybe that building is on the same electric feed.
Not to mention a summit snow stake cam is probably a bad idea when you’re trying to keep skiers off the summit (side note, that cam is useful for determining precipitation type but not much else).

Without wading too far into the great Sugarbush Early Closure Debate of 2024, I do hope that MRG takes a victory lap or two in its snow report for having the only lift served T2B skiing in the MRV this month.

cdskier

Not to mention a summit snow stake cam is probably a bad idea when you’re trying to keep skiers off the summit (side note, that cam is useful for determining precipitation type but not much else).

One of our infamous social media skiing "influencers" has already stated he wants to hike back up there if they get snow this weekend...

1712158212202.png

djd66

Yeah, I've seen some pretty wide ranges forecast. Hope you all get it.
I just read Mountain forecast for Wildcat,... they are calling for 43" over the next 3 days!