• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Things that are Banned in Massachusetts

kickstand

I'm guessing this is a typo:

"A Wrentham Housing Authority told residents that the public display of the American Flag was not permitted in common areas. The ban has since been revered."

drjeff

"A Wrentham Housing Authority told residents that the public display of the American Flag was not permitted in common areas. The ban has since been revered."

Unless maybe they meant it was Revere'd ;)

SkiFanE

Driver courtesy? Oh, too late.

OMG a NH-ite uttering these words? I work in a hi-tech town close to NH. Our population triples weekdays. Tons of NH residents work here and the are THE biggest assholes on the road. Sorry, could just be the commuters, but it is what it is.

Leaf blowerbans in those 2 towns is a good idea. Postage stamp lawns and people can be very anal about keeping leaves and such off their lawns, I've lived in one of those towns and I could totally see one of my old neighbors using one every day if he could. They are so Obnoxious, I hate them! Ban ban ban lmao!

Styro ban is just an idea. Plastic bottles is a new law. If you've lived in concord, you'd understand the mindset. Liberals rule lol. But heck, carry pot around here if you'd like, okay? Dont go complaining at our lawmakers if you smoke weed or need health insurance :)

Hawkshot99

Leaf blowerbans in those 2 towns is a good idea. Postage stamp lawns and people can be very anal about keeping leaves and such off their lawns, I've lived in one of those towns and I could totally see one of my old neighbors using one every day if he could. They are so Obnoxious, I hate them! Ban ban ban lmao!

I work in lawn care. If I lived in that area I would not be to happy. Makes doing my job much harder.

Most likely I would take my generator and remove the muffler to make it extra loud. Sit it on the trailer and run a extension cord to my "quiet electric blower".

deadheadskier

Staff member
The most annoying ban in Mass is at the gas station. The no handle lock ban on the gas pump handles is SO annoying. I think it's stupid the state requires you to stand at the car and hold the pump the whole time you fill up. I prefer to multi-task while at the gas station. Click the pump on and wash my windows or run into the store to grab a coffee while it pumps. I'd rather it be like Jersey where all stations are Full Serve than deal with that annoyance.

but, apparently the nannystate gov't officials in Mass think allowing the normal style of gas pump will result in people blowing up their cars or something.

Geoff

Funky spin to this one. Some low level town employee was ranted at by some old lady in the old folks housing project about somebody flying a flag and waved the bylaws at him. He told the people to take the flag down. That was rescinded the next day.

It's federal law that you can't ban flying an American flag.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-109publ243/html/PLAW-109publ243.htm

A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use.

Puck it

The most annoying ban in Mass is at the gas station. The no handle lock ban on the gas pump handles is SO annoying. I think it's stupid the state requires you to stand at the car and hold the pump the whole time you fill up. I prefer to multi-task while at the gas station. Click the pump on and wash my windows or run into the store to grab a coffee while it pumps. I'd rather it be like Jersey where all stations are Full Serve than deal with that annoyance.

but, apparently the nannystate gov't officials in Mass think allowing the normal style of gas pump will result in people blowing up their cars or something.

I don't think it state. It is by town. BTW, Chapstick holds it perfect to multitask.

darent

I work in lawn care. If I lived in that area I would not be to happy. Makes doing my job much harder.

Most likely I would take my generator and remove the muffler to make it extra loud. Sit it on the trailer and run a extension cord to my "quiet electric blower".

they are loud and obnoxious, and whats with blowing your debris off the property out into a public street or the into the neighbors yard, ban them ,also ban those overly wide landscaper trailers, the ones wider than the truck or make the drivers take a trailer pulling test. require them to license and register the trailer and have working brake lights!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think it state. It is by town. BTW, Chapstick holds it perfect to multitask.

Chapstick???? As in the lip balm? I don't use it, but I have figured out how to stuff my wallet in there and the gas tank cap depending on style of pump handle. Perhaps I'll buy a tube of chap stick for such purposes. I've actually had station attendants in Mass come out and yell at me on several occasions for manipulating the pump handle open with my wallet or pump handle. For some reason they think it might blow the station up.

Seriously, in the past 5 years of spending 40+ hours a week all throughout Boston, the 93 corridor, all of the North Shore, down route 3 to Plymouth; I've come in contact with exactly 1 pump, not 1 station, but 1 pump at a particular station where I don't need to sit there and pump my gas. Pump'n Pantry on Route 1 in Peabody. Furthest pump to the right and closest to the store still has the handle lock.

Hawkshot99

they are loud and obnoxious, and whats with blowing your debris off the property out into a public street or the into the neighbors yard
Most of the people I see with debris in the road in front of their houses are mowed by the homeowner. Every lawn service provider I know blows the road clean after working(I get payed to make a person yard look good, not trashy)

, ban them ,also ban those overly wide landscaper trailers, the ones wider than the truck or make the drivers take a trailer pulling test. require them to license and register the trailer and have working brake lights!!

My main trailer is 6' wide, narrower than my truck. Those trailers are legal to be on the road. The widest i have ever seen is 8'. All trailers must be registered, with properly functioning lights, and they must pass inspections.

Edd

OMG a NH-ite uttering these words? I work in a hi-tech town close to NH. Our population triples weekdays. Tons of NH residents work here and the are THE biggest assholes on the road. Sorry, could just be the commuters, but it is what it is.

I'm assuming what you're seeing is an anomaly. Mass drivers have worked hard for their crappy rep. :)

SkiFanE

Chapstick???? As in the lip balm? I don't use it, but I have figured out how to stuff my wallet in there and the gas tank cap depending on style of pump handle. Perhaps I'll buy a tube of chap stick for such purposes. I've actually had station attendants in Mass come out and yell at me on several occasions for manipulating the pump handle open with my wallet or pump handle. For some reason they think it might blow the station up.

Seriously, in the past 5 years of spending 40+ hours a week all throughout Boston, the 93 corridor, all of the North Shore, down route 3 to Plymouth; I've come in contact with exactly 1 pump, not 1 station, but 1 pump at a particular station where I don't need to sit there and pump my gas. Pump'n Pantry on Route 1 in Peabody. Furthest pump to the right and closest to the store still has the handle lock.

Full Serve. I never pump in Mass. Know all the local stations and the one by my office. Most are even cheaper than the name brand self-serve down the street. Most people I've seen use the gas cap to keep that handle open.

Puck it

I have had them yell too. I just go about my business and ignore them.