• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

time to cut a trail or liftline?

sullydog

how long does it take to cut a new trail of average width, or a skinny trail with character? How about a liftline?

Hawkshot99

Depends on how many people are working and the size and location of the cut. Flat terrain will be a whole lot easier than a liftlin over uneven ground.

bigbob

how long does it take to cut a new trail of average width, or a skinny trail with character? How about a liftline?

Please clarify: Do you just want to just remove the trees? Or do you want it stumped, graded, waterbars cut, and seeded? How wide, long and how steep? Most areas seem to accomplish this with a 200 size excavator, possibly a small, D-3 size dozer during the dry summer months, say 8 weeks.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Judging by a similar thread in the NELSAP forum, it sounds like you are building a chairlift somewhere. Interesting. ;)

shpride

Judging by a similar thread in the NELSAP forum, it sounds like you are building a chairlift somewhere. Interesting. ;)

I was thinking the same thing....and being at passholder at a mountain I know you frequent makes it even more interesting.

Telemechanic

Please clarify: Do you just want to just remove the trees? Or do you want it stumped, graded, waterbars cut, and seeded? How wide, long and how steep? Most areas seem to accomplish this with a 200 size excavator, possibly a small, D-3 size dozer during the dry summer months, say 8 weeks.

I'd say 8 weeks is a plenty of time for a trail of average length on easy terrain or a liftline that won't be a ski trail. Most trails on steeper terrain probably need double that, especially in regions like New England where the mountains are peppered with large boulders and ledge that need to be blasted and graded.

catskills

Something like Hunter West Side Clarie's or Lower K27 is much longer. To grade steep trailsk you need to have a 25 ton dozer at the top with a winch and cable attached to a smaller dozer which is then pulled up and down the trail. After seeding and haying it you may need to start all over if a bad rain storm comes in a washes the soil away before the grass had a chance to catch hold.

Best to get you hay order in now.

UVSHTSTRM

Also, it sounds like your talking cutting a whole new line, which I believe in most states means you will have a nice wait for the permits and approval from enviromental boards....I think.

drjeff

Also, it sounds like your talking cutting a whole new line, which I believe in most states means you will have a nice wait for the permits and approval from enviromental boards....I think.

Yup, especially if you're talking about a piece of land that's part of a state/federal forest :eek: Private land, not nearly as big a deal. Public land, you may very well spend a couple of years trying to get the permits (and the associated often required environmental impact studies done) before the 1st tree ever comes down.

The second caveate to how long it might take, would be the question "what's your budget?"

If you've got the cash, you can get a crew that's got some serious logging/land clearing equipment at their disposal and the job will go a heck of alot quicker then if you're talking about you and you're buddies and a couple of stihl chainsaws and some smaller equipment that you're renting from the local Home Depot