• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Abandoned, Removed, Unused and Unlisted trails. What mountains? What trails? How to Find them?

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Here are a few that I don't think have been mentioned already:
At Crotched Mountain, the crossover trails to Crotched East are still skiable and offer a lot of glade opportunities in the area known as "the Enchanted Forest". There is a booklet (written by me) titled, "An Unauthorized Guide to the Glades of Crotched Mountain." Only 4 of these glades are on the CM trail map.

At Cannon Mountain, there are a number of glades from "The Saddle" that are not on the trail map that bring you back to the Cannon side that can be great fun.

Tenney Mountain had an entire pod of trails cut. Sam Hall had it done before there were permitting requirements which he expected to come soon. Sam was reputed to not like borrowing money and planned to install a lift when he could pay for it. That never happened. I assume that area has grown in.

MRG has many, but I don't know MRG very well to be specific.

Stowe has many beyond the Bruce. Angel Food comes to mind, but there are a lot of others that I don't recall.

Ragged Mountain has some on Pinnacle Peak. Wilson's comes to mind.

kbroderick

Trails that have grown back in, in my experience, ski worse than adjacent uncut forest (at least after enough time to grow back). The case in point would be the future expansion that never happened above the Inverness pause at Mt. Ellen; we had spotted it on old orthoimagery and decided to try to ski it from the Long Trail. In the years between the photo being captured and our attempt, it had turned into a classic spruce/fir thicket, and it was a very Type-II adventure.

zyk

The x cut at Hunter. All grown in now but the actual cut as in grading and blasting will remain probably forever.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Here are a few that I don't think have been mentioned already:
At Crotched Mountain, the crossover trails to Crotched East are still skiable and offer a lot of glade opportunities in the area known as "the Enchanted Forest". There is a booklet (written by me) titled, "An Unauthorized Guide to the Glades of Crotched Mountain." Only 4 of these glades are on the CM trail map.

At Cannon Mountain, there are a number of glades from "The Saddle" that are not on the trail map that bring you back to the Cannon side that can be great fun.

Tenney Mountain had an entire pod of trails cut. Sam Hall had it done before there were permitting requirements which he expected to come soon. Sam was reputed to not like borrowing money and planned to install a lift when he could pay for it. That never happened. I assume that area has grown in.

MRG has many, but I don't know MRG very well to be specific.

Stowe has many beyond the Bruce. Angel Food comes to mind, but there are a lot of others that I don't recall.

Unmarked inbounds or side country trees aren't really the subject matter here.

WoodCore

RH29

Here's a couple from Connecticut:

Mount Southington - Timberbash https://skimap.org/data/494/2200/1455655758.jpeg
Ski Sundown - Horn https://skimap.org/data/496/7/1209437000.jpg
Mohawk - Deer Run (original top section), Waterfall. There was also an old tow line next to Route 100 that showed up on the maps for a few years called "Fireball/Thunderball" https://skimap.org/data/493/2200/1451429942.jpeg
Wow...Southington's got a bunch!

Looks like "Gladechute" was cleared and they put those never used carpets/rope tows on it. Not sure what came of Big John/Cedarchute, but one of them still exists to store equipment and is still skiable when natural conditions permit. No idea where Timberbash could even go, I'll keep an eye out for any remnants next time I go.

urungus

My bucket list, so far I have done 1, 2, and half of 3.

Are there any other classic CCC trails like Bruce Or Tucker Brook that are outside ski area boundaries but can still be accessed by chairlift ?

1) Castle Rock trail from Lincoln Peak
2) Pico-Killington interconnect
3) Juggernaut @ Killington
4) Smuggs-Stowe interconnect (Snuffys)
5) Bruce @ Stowe
6) Teardrop @ Stowe
7) Tucker Brook Trail @ Cannon
8) Poma Line @ Pico
9) Thunderbolt @ Mt Greylock, MA

Last edited:

Newpylong

Tannery at Gore.
Rifle Barrel at Catamount.
Figure Eight at Jiminy Peak.
Upper Swirl, Header, Horn, RH Road, Timberline and Vagabond (all abandoned above current Rams Head Quad) at K

zyk

Tannery at Gore.
Rifle Barrel at Catamount.
Figure Eight at Jiminy Peak.
Upper Swirl, Header, Horn, RH Road, Timberline and Vagabond (all abandoned above current Rams Head Quad) at K
Oh you had to mention figure eight...
What about Linda's leap and raccoons den? 🙂

Newpylong

I remember a Linda's Elbow that cris crossed between Whirlaway and Jericho is that the same one? I think they call it Catacombs now or something.

ThatGuy

Yes thats catacombs now.
Where figure 8? (dms if don't want to put it out there)

Newpylong

Yes thats catacombs now.
Where figure 8? (dms if don't want to put it out there)
It was some dinky trail that just went off at the top of 180 on your right (behind where the Q1 is today) and came out behind the snowmaking pond at the bottom of Left Bank (err Grouse Run today). Basically a short through the woods. I think it was used mostly by the snowcats from my recollection. It's on the old maps.

BodeMiller1

Concord, NH has 3 lost ski areas:

The Concord Country Club.
The Concord Outing Club. Fisk Hill The old jump is still there, the skating pond was an abandoned quarry.
Rattlesnake Hill - behind the Hospital This was for St. Pauls.

All are easy to find at >>>>

zyk

I remember a Linda's Elbow that cris crossed between Whirlaway and Jericho is that the same one? I think they call it Catacombs now or something.
Ouch I'm old! That was late 70's I think. Remember looking up at the Jericho glade from racoon den.

Vter

OMG !
As On-going information comes forth, This tread sounds dangerous and irresponsible
WTF are you people advising to a new back-country skier.
The advice on the” lost ski areas”web site is the best advice.
Your going to bring a hole lot of shit to rescuerers ahhh, never mind … Whatever !
The old saying still remains: “saddle-up” to a local and if he/she likes you, they will show you the goods.
By example: many many years ago, found a New Friend at the bar at, get this, Vail Colorado. I was there with my ex-wife…my new friend laid out one of my best days … yup, local, strong skier, cat driver and we drink and laughed for hours with his friends !
Sure I could tell you about places that today are outraragously fun in NE Vermont, but I’m not endorsing or suggesting anything. Buddy up with the bartender…he/she will point you to the right person.

FBGM

The amount of local cut “trails”’at some of the New England resorts are pretty rad. Takes a safety meeting or some late night beers to get the down low sometimes. Guess those are not “on the map” per say

WoodCore

Wow...Southington's got a bunch!

Looks like "Gladechute" was cleared and they put those never used carpets/rope tows on it. Not sure what came of Big John/Cedarchute, but one of them still exists to store equipment and is still skiable when natural conditions permit. No idea where Timberbash could even go, I'll keep an eye out for any remnants next time I go.

Actually skied Gladechute in the early 80's before the creation of the "Whoopee" slope, it was quite a different trail. There used to be an old wooden cable spool that was built up as a huge huck when the snow was deep enough. Regardless, Gladechute was completely destroyed when they built Whoopee" or Hill 6 in the mid 80's which itself was lost in the mid 2000s when Thunderbolt (Hill5) and Whoopee (Hill 6) were combined into the one large slope that exists today, locals commonly refer to the new slope as Hill 11.

thebigo

Thought Wilson's was the powerline off the summit of ragged, above easy winder, not on pinnacle? Taking a look at old maps, was removed around 20 years ago.

Screenshot_20230205_055901_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: