• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tipping for seasonal programs?

ski&soccermom

This is our first season with children doing seasonal lesson programs (and one on a race team). How do you all handle tipping? Our two in the seasonal programs have two coaches each. The one on race team has five coaches… Not sure what the proper protocol is here. Thanks!

drjeff

This is our first season with children doing seasonal lesson programs (and one on a race team). How do you all handle tipping? Our two in the seasonal programs have two coaches each. The one on race team has five coaches… Not sure what the proper protocol is here. Thanks!

Ask the other kids parents first and foremost!!!

I know that for my kids, the one in the seasonal program we tip his instructors (it varies from day to day) that day. Usually about $20 a day.

For my race team kid, and in her U10 group there were only 2 coaches this season, most families will tip the assistant coach $100-150 and the head coach $200-250 (generally the lower amounts for 1st year kids in the age group and higher amounts if it was your kids 2nd year in that age group and they're moving up next season)

In the case of all my kids instructors/coaches, I do make sure to buy them a beer or 2 if I see them after the lifts have closed in a base lodge bar, regardless of the time of year it is! Much easier to talk with and get to know your kids coaches and instructors over a relaxed apres beverage than when there's a slew of other parents and post day on the hill tired kids around! And the coaches + instructors appreciate it! :beer: :)

MadMadWorld

I was always taught after a lesson, to draw a diagram in the snow of what their kids learned that day. Always explain to them that their children "made turns left and right across the fall line". The diagram ends up being a dollar sign :D

ski&soccermom

Thanks for the suggestions drjeff! I would agree with your price points for my non-race kids, but am still stuck on how to handle the five race coaches. I will ask around this weekend.

HD333

Thanks for the suggestions drjeff! I would agree with your price points for my non-race kids, but am still stuck on how to handle the five race coaches. I will ask around this weekend.

Is there a "head" coach? Maybe give him/her the $ and ask that he splits it up accordingly, or ask a seasoned parent what they have done in the past. Small things count too, my kids drew trail maps with pictures of them and the instructor on it the last time they were in a seasonal program and they gave it to the instructors which went over well, of course the $ from mom and dad went over well too.

snoseek

Is there a "head" coach? Maybe give him/her the $ and ask that he splits it up accordingly, or ask a seasoned parent what they have done in the past. Small things count too, my kids drew trail maps with pictures of them and the instructor on it the last time they were in a seasonal program and they gave it to the instructors which went over well, of course the $ from mom and dad went over well too.

I'm not sure I would hand any one person a lump and assume they will fairly distribute it. Asking around to me makes more sense.

4aprice

Ask the other kids parents first and foremost!!!

I know that for my kids, the one in the seasonal program we tip his instructors (it varies from day to day) that day. Usually about $20 a day.

For my race team kid, and in her U10 group there were only 2 coaches this season, most families will tip the assistant coach $100-150 and the head coach $200-250 (generally the lower amounts for 1st year kids in the age group and higher amounts if it was your kids 2nd year in that age group and they're moving up next season)

In the case of all my kids instructors/coaches, I do make sure to buy them a beer or 2 if I see them after the lifts have closed in a base lodge bar, regardless of the time of year it is! Much easier to talk with and get to know your kids coaches and instructors over a relaxed apres beverage than when there's a slew of other parents and post day on the hill tired kids around! And the coaches + instructors appreciate it! :beer: :)

This, except we weren't quite as generous as Dr J.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

CoolMike

I wouldn't tip at all in this situation. Anything more than ten bucks or twenty for a great instructor is over tipping in my opinion. Tipping in the US is way over done. Mountains should be paying instructors a decent wage.

Domeskier

I wouldn't tip at all in this situation. Anything more than ten bucks or twenty for a great instructor is over tipping in my opinion. Tipping in the US is way over done. Mountains should be paying instructors a decent wage.

Am I setting a bad precedent by tipping the lifties at the end of the day?

oldtimer

Well yes, perhaps mtns SHOULD be paying the staff a living wage. But they do not. If we want the good instructors to do good work, they gotta bring a positive attitude. Hard to do if the thermostat was set at 55 degrees at the drafty house cause that is all they could afford. I am not exaggerating- I have lived that scenario, for that reason, in ski country.

I won't waste my time explaining that tips are a human to human interface wherein we thank folks for CARING about our kids.

ski&soccermom

I agree with this completely. We trusted these people with our kids all winter. Some went above and beyond doing things like getting hand warmers for the whole group on a freezing cold day, paying for my kid's snack on a day that he forgot his pass, and not asking for reimbursement when I know they get paid very little (and yes, of course I repaid and then some). Whether tipping is the norm or not, I do think these coaches should be recognized for the time and effort they put in.

Well yes, perhaps mtns SHOULD be paying the staff a living wage. But they do not. If we want the good instructors to do good work, they gotta bring a positive attitude. Hard to do if the thermostat was set at 55 degrees at the drafty house cause that is all they could afford. I am not exaggerating- I have lived that scenario, for that reason, in ski country.

I won't waste my time explaining that tips are a human to human interface wherein we thank folks for CARING about our kids.

MadMadWorld

I agree with this completely. We trusted these people with our kids all winter. Some went above and beyond doing things like getting hand warmers for the whole group on a freezing cold day, paying for my kid's snack on a day that he forgot his pass, and not asking for reimbursement when I know they get paid very little (and yes, of course I repaid and then some). Whether tipping is the norm or not, I do think these coaches should be recognized for the time and effort they put in.

Well said.

WWF-VT

I suggest individual tips to the two seasonal program coaches and ask about pooled tips for the race team coaches. My kids went through similar programs and when they were on teams with multiple coaches then they usually pooled the tips.

Quietman

Only if you are giving them cash - beer and weed are acceptable

I've been offered a beer before, but they never followed through. I did get a beer one day, a guy loaded my chair and a can fell out of his pocket and landed on the ramp. I yelled "Thank you"! He never came back and asked for it. :beer:

vcunning

Kids seasonal programs . . . I tipped $20 for a full day . . . also I used to bring in food for the staff. It worked really well for the drop off spot (on crowded weekends, there seemed to be a place barricaded for me, which would promptly be removed) and it also worked well in preferred parking (where I'd get a great spot and my car was cleaned off at the end of a snowy day).

I did always send the seasonal program staff food type presents around various holidays so they all could enjoy.