• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Toggenburg to go NELSAP?

p_levert

p_levert

Thanks for posting

Well Vail may suck, but this guy at Song, Peter Harris, sucks even more. What an *sshole, buying the place simply to shut it down.
Besides being an *sshole, Peter Harris is clearly not very smart. He should have said "Tog will not operate this winter due to the labor shortage. But we do plan to reopen in the future". This would be a baldface lie, but it would be a smart PR move.

2planks2coasts

Though, I love Greek Peak, they shouldn't have sold Toggenburg with the knowledge that it would be closed.

slatham

All I can say is we don't know the inside story of what motivated both buyer and seller.

As far as announcing the closing now, can only speculate that Song plans to use some combo lifts, snowmaking, groomers, and other infrastructure such that re-opening Togg would be unviable.

PAabe

On the topic of NY NELSAP, it is possible Hickory is back:

Comments suggesting preparations have been made to run the tows this winter

skibum636

Thanks for posting

Well Vail may suck, but this guy at Song, Peter Harris, sucks even more. What an *sshole, buying the place simply to shut it down.
Uhm Greek put the clause in that it couldn’t reopen. Also Greek didn’t try to find any other bidders. They ran it into the ground and pushed people away since the day they bought it. They only bought it to try and get people to gp, unfortunately gp is the worst place to ever go.

p_levert

Uhm Greek put the clause in that it couldn’t reopen. Also Greek didn’t try to find any other bidders. They ran it into the ground and pushed people away since the day they bought it. They only bought it to try and get people to gp, unfortunately gp is the worst place to ever go.
What's the source of this information? Maybe this is all true, but I don't remember seeing this in news stories.

cdskier

What's the source of this information? Maybe this is all true, but I don't remember seeing this in news stories.
That does seem rather odd. The way the articles talk about this definitely made it sound like it was the new owner's decision. Also of note, apparently the purchase price was $750,000.

slatham

Too bad the Mass AG wasn’t as proactive back in the Brodie days when Jiminy bought and closed it. I will admit it’s a bit different as Jiminy did run Brodie for a couple seasons. But still…..

IceEidolon

Bromley closing down Magic has ended up well but I don't think that was the intent.

Yo VT Raps

That does seem rather odd. The way the articles talk about this definitely made it sound like it was the new owner's decision. Also of note, apparently the purchase price was $750,000.

Sounds awesome, but probably speaks to the unprofitability of the operation. There is a lawsuit to keep it open but I don't expect it to be successful.

mbedle

Not sure I agree with the AG on this one. The AG states that Intermountain closed Toggenburg (which they owned), suggested that the Toggenburg customers drive to the other two resorts they own, so Intermountain could capture the additional sales. What additional sales are they talking about??? They owned Toggenburg, they already had the sales if they wanted to keep it open. I would venture to guess that they ended up losing sales, after pissing some people off by closing the place. I also thinks its a far reach to say that those three mountain make up all the available ski resorts in the Syracuse area. Greek Peak is only 30 minutes further, plus there are a couple of small clubs and ski ares in the area. Depending on how Intermountain operates the two remaining resorts, they may actual be able to overall grow their business, hire more employees and pay better wages. As far as the non-compete, from a typical worker standpoint, they are bullshit and never hold up in court. All you need to prove is the employee came to you and you didn't first contact the employee. Post a general job offering does not evoke the non-compete clause. What it does stop is either company contacting upper management type people at the other company asking them to come work for them. The AG is also seeking to have intermountain sell one of its mountain and rescind the noncompete agreement. Good luck finding somebody to purchase Toggenburg - its was bleeding money before Intermountain bought it. Why the hell does the AG think Greek Peak sold it - because is was raking in the cash?

x10003q

Not sure I agree with the AG on this one. The AG states that Intermountain closed Toggenburg (which they owned), suggested that the Toggenburg customers drive to the other two resorts they own, so Intermountain could capture the additional sales. What additional sales are they talking about??? They owned Toggenburg, they already had the sales if they wanted to keep it open. I would venture to guess that they ended up losing sales, after pissing some people off by closing the place. I also thinks its a far reach to say that those three mountain make up all the available ski resorts in the Syracuse area. Greek Peak is only 30 minutes further, plus there are a couple of small clubs and ski ares in the area. Depending on how Intermountain operates the two remaining resorts, they may actual be able to overall grow their business, hire more employees and pay better wages.
This is part of the charge will be harder for NYS to figure out.
As far as the non-compete, from a typical worker standpoint, they are bullshit and never hold up in court. All you need to prove is the employee came to you and you didn't first contact the employee. Post a general job offering does not evoke the non-compete clause. What it does stop is either company contacting upper management type people at the other company asking them to come work for them. The AG is also seeking to have intermountain sell one of its mountain and rescind the noncompete agreement. Good luck finding somebody to purchase Toggenburg - its was bleeding money before Intermountain bought it. Why the hell does the AG think Greek Peak sold it - because is was raking in the cash?
It was not an employee non-compete, it was Greek Peak ownership getting paid $195k not to poach employees from Intermountain. Business owners cannot collude with a competitor to set employee salaries/restrict movement. Greek has already agreed with the AG that this part was illegal and paid the $195k they received from Intermountain to NYS and is helping NYS with the case.

mbedle

This is part of the charge will be harder for NYS to figure out.

It was not an employee non-compete, it was Greek Peak ownership getting paid $195k not to poach employees from Intermountain. Business owners cannot collude with a competitor to set employee salaries/restrict movement. Greek has already agreed with the AG that this part was illegal and paid the $195k they received from Intermountain to NYS and is helping NYS with the case.
What I was trying to say is the non-compete between the two companies would typicaly only apply if one company was actively soliciting a specific individual from the other company. If Greek Peak posted a public ad for a snow groomer (or any other seasonal job), and somebody shows up the worked last season or currently at Song, there would typically not be an issue with the non-compete. If the AG has determined that that was the issue, then yes, that is a big problem. Not only does that open them up to the AG lawsuit, but potential employees that were turned down jobs because they work or worked for for the other company could go after both companies for discrimination. To be honest, if Greek Peak posted a job offering for a general manager and someone from Intermountain applied and was denied the job because they were coming from Intermountain - that is also a huge issue.