• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: Cold Smoked Cheese

Glenn

First off, here's where this came from: http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/11/fun-with-cold-smoking-macgyver-style.html

Cliffs: Soldering iron, tin can, woodchips.

I have an electric smoker that has two settings: Off and full-blast On. Smoking cheese isn't an option unless I want a burnt pile of goo...no thanks.

I grabbed this soldering iron for under $5. I highly recomend just getting a new one. Solder is lead based and lead is nasty stuff. Certainly nothing you want to cook with. I used a drill to punch some holes in the can; about 12 up top and a large hole in the base to stick the iron in. The open end of the can was covered with some tin foil.

I put the soldering iron in the can, filled the can with hickory chips, covered the end with the foil and put it in the base of my smoker. I removed the element that's usually in the base of the smoker to keep things simple.

Cheese1.jpg

It'll take a bit, but you'll start to see the smoke. It's really difficult to see here:
Cheese2.jpg

We were out doing yardwork Sunday, so I didn't time things. I'd say I got a good hour or so out of each "can". Shaking the can up can help get the last bit of smoke out. You can refill on the fly if you work quickly. The can gets pretty hot, but with gloves, you can handle it. Dump out the burnt chips, put in some new and you're set.

I didn't check the temp in the smoker, but it was pretty much the same temp as the air; 50's. As you can see, the cheese didn't melt. It just took on a nice smokey color:
Cheese3.jpg

I used a ball of mootz and sliced that into smaller disks. The other cheese was a block of cheddar that I cut up.

So how'd it come out? I'm not sure yet. From what I've read online, the cheese needs to sit for a bit. I guess if you try it right away, it tastes very similar to eating straight ashes; not that I've ever sampled those. So, we wrapped the pieces in saran wrap, double bagged everything in zip lock bags and let it sit. Seems that after sitting for a week or two, it should be ready. I think we'll try to sample some this weekend. My only concern is that I used Hickory chips which tend to be a bit "strong". I usually use applewood when I smoke. However, since that's harvested myself, I only have chunks of those...and not smaller chips. In the future, I'll see if I can get some apple or cherry wood chips at the store.

This nice thing about this setup: It's very cheap. And, you don't need a smoker. You could easily toss this thing into a grill and ShamWow...you have a cold smoker.

drjeff

Great TR there Glenn! And I'm guessing that if the first attempt at smoking cheese didn't work that the back up plan was to just drive a couple of miles down the Rte 30 to the Grafton Cheese company and let Mrs. Glenn enjoy her 4square Mayor status there! :lol: :)

ctenidae

Mmmmm, cheese...

In Poland they do one that's grilled over charcoal. It doesn't melt, but it gets really warm and tasty.

Glenn

One thing I forgot to mention...a lot of cans are lined these days. I was going to use a San Marzano tomato can, but it had a liner. I guess you can torch that liner out with a propane torch if you had to. But I found an olive can that was unlined, so we were good to go.

Mayor Mitz! She always checks in at Grafton. A few hundred feet up the road, the 3G drops pretty fast.

If anyone tries this, post the results. I'm interested in hearing how it works.

And from what I gather, this is best done on a "cooler" day. I'd imagine one of those warmer summer days and despite the 'cold' part of the smoker, you'd still end up with goo. :lol:

Glenn

Sampled the cheese on Saturday...13 days after it was smoked. Yum! It came out really good. My concerns about the hickory being strong were unfounded. The cheese itself had a very nice smokey taste to it. And quite a rich smokey smell.

When put on the burgers it was delicious. It spread out the taste into a nice mild flavor. It was an excellent complement to the burgers.

So this was a success! An easy, inexpensive way to smoke your own cheese. I bet if you had one of those sealers that allows you to vac pack stufff, you could make a whole bunch of this at once and just store it in bulk.

Pics:

Cheese5.jpg

cheese4.jpg

Glenn

Ok, update. I decided to do another round yesterday. When they say it should be "cool" outside, they're not kidding. Even thought this smoker doesn't put out much, if any heat, the sun does. And when you have your smoker sitting in direct sunlight... I lost a few pieces due to melting and falling through the grate. Oh well. We'll see how this round came out in a few weeks. It's packed and resting in the fridge now.

Glenn

Thanks! My wife is an amazing cook. I'm beyond blessed. I run the smoker....that's about it. :lol: