• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuckerman Ravine April 15/16

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Be there or um... be somewhere else, I guess.

Anyway, I'm headed up there probably with throngs of other people. If anyone else is going then, let me know.

JimG.

Staff member
Marc said:
Be there or um... be somewhere else, I guess.

Anyway, I'm headed up there probably with throngs of other people. If anyone else is going then, let me know.

My plan is to be there for 3 days sometime in the period 4/10-4/14.

Not going to stick around for the weekend crowds though.

NYDrew

Never been there, need a backcountry guide. I'm not interested in the lift serviced portion. If I can make it, anyone down for some off trail fun?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
NYDrew said:
Never been there, need a backcountry guide. I'm not interested in the lift serviced portion. If I can make it, anyone down for some off trail fun?
tuckerman ravine doesn't have a lift serviced portion ;) if you go any time during april (even mid-week), you should be fine solo as there will be plenty of people up there! especially on a weekend. the rangers can provide you with specifics and recommendations, a guide is definitely not needed though reading up about what to expect would be helpful.

NYDrew

i always thought part of the lower mountain was lift serviced, even felt like ive seen pictures. Hmmm, must be a reminder that i hit my head.

Oh well, i never go off trail without a local or regular the first time at a new mountain.

awf170

riverc0il said:
tuckerman ravine doesn't have a lift serviced portion ;)

Once again Steve you are wrong.

2tuckstbar.jpg

nlmasopust

Fine job with photoshop, that is.
I think that's from the folks over at timefortuckerman.com, right?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
NYDrew, the west side of mount washington is home to the mount washington railroad which serves as a "ski lift" for the lower western flank of mount washington. however, it doesn't go any where near the summit and tuckerman ravine is on the opposite side of the mountain. aside from hiking up the tuckerman ravine trail or skiing down the sherburne ski trail, there aren't any trails perse, so you really don't "go off trail" when you ski tucks so much as ski generally accepted ski routes down certain chutes and gullies.

dmc

I'll probably be up the following weekend...

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
The laughing hurts! Especially since it twists my eyes to be looking *up* Tuckerman Ravine but *down* the ski lift. :)

I may well be there with a group on that Saturday; if so, I likely will not be skiing, just hanging out at Hojo's, in the bowl, or lunch rocks taking pictures.

awf170

riverc0il said:
i might do GoS that weekend. hillman's only if going up TRT. i wouldn't go into the bowl on a holiday weekend in mid-april.

Hmmm.... Sounds like a good idea. Looks like a possibility if the weather is good. Hopefully tommorow's trip will get my dad hooked on the BC.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
friday april 14th looks like a go for me, weather and conditions permitting. still a maybe on 15/16 but definitely not to the bowl proper. hillmans or GoS on the busy weekends.

awf170

riverc0il said:
friday april 14th looks like a go for me, weather and conditions permitting. still a maybe on 15/16 but definitely not to the bowl proper. hillmans or GoS on the busy weekends.
Nice. Time to start working my dad...:lol: If we went anywhere it would probably be GoS or lap the upper snowfields, he likes more of the moderately steep stuff.