• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tug hill vs northern VT forecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornhead

can anyone recommend a good motel near tug hill?
There is a motel right at the foot of the "mountain" :wink:, Towpath, I tried to negotiate a lower rate there, but they wouldn't budge. I kept throwing out numbers as I walked out the door. I ended up staying at The Edge Hotel http://www.theedgehotel.com/, nothing special, humongous parking lot to accommodate snowmobiler's trucks and trailers. The burgers at their bar/restaurant, The Boondocks, on rt 12, are outstanding. I paid $89 plus tax, came to $100 on the nose for a room, continental breakfast included.The problem with staying near Snow Ridge, is that you're competing with hoards of snowmobilers for rooms, if not, I'd expect to pay about half what I did. The Edge is about four miles from Snow Ridge.

Snowlover

There is a motel right at the foot of the "mountain" :wink:, Towpath, I tried to negotiate a lower rate there, but they wouldn't budge. I kept throwing out numbers as I walked out the door. I ended up staying at The Edge Hotel http://www.theedgehotel.com/, nothing special, humongous parking lot to accommodate snowmobiler's trucks and trailers. The burgers at their bar/restaurant, The Boondocks, on rt 12, are outstanding. I paid $89 plus tax, came to $100 on the nose for a room, continental breakfast included.The problem with staying near Snow Ridge, is that you're competing with hoards of snowmobilers for rooms, if not, I'd expect to pay about half what I did. The Edge is about four miles from Snow Ridge.

There are hotels you can stay at for less than 60 bucks in utica right off the highway. There's a budget inn in barneveld for around 50 bucks. It's only 30 miles from snow ridge and there's nothing to do up at snow ridge other than ski anyway. lol....They smash you with hotel fees once you get on the tug hill with access to snowmobile trails. It's all about snowmobiles. If it wasn't for that, you could probably get a rooom for 40 bucks up there.

Euler

Why stop at Snow Ridge when you could drive another her hour and get to the mighty mighty Dry Hill? It's even smaller !

Snowlover

Like most of your arguments, you have it wrong. 120% of Jay's claim of 375" (your argument) is 450". I was rounding off the top off my head, but it's actually closer to 118%. Either way, you claimed it was "basically double".
What the hell...It was basically similiar according to their claims. My claim was it was probably double. But that's a different figure.

Snowlover

OK,the way I figure it ,21 feet of snow now leaves your beloved bump at 479 vertical.Are you serious?Who f-in cares about some little pimple on the map?There are many places in the world it snows more but so what if its on a little kiddie hill.Get over yourself and your little baby ski area.

Well, in closing, ec skiing basically sucks if you want to ski pow regularly on a big mountain. Duh! If northern vt was getting nearly 400 inches a year of snow....it would be getting a TON more than tug hill and people would see it as a pow destination. It's NOT a pow destination. Not even close. Alta gets MORE than double snowfall of tug hill, which gets way more than northern VT. Do the math! Oh and that doesn't even include the thaws that destroy packed pow conditions that turns it into ice.(same on tug hill, but they get so much snow so it's much better than vt for consistency) Higher humidity. Terrible winds. So even that sucks. Snow gun reliant in Vermont....enough said

Snowlover

Well, in closing, ec skiing basically sucks if you want to ski pow regularly on a big mountain. Duh! If northern vt was getting nearly 400 inches a year of snow....it would be getting a TON more than tug hill and people would see it as a pow destination. It's NOT a pow destination. Not even close. Alta gets MORE than double snowfall of tug hill, which gets way more than northern VT. Do the math! Oh and that doesn't even include the thaws that destroy packed pow conditions that turns it into ice.(same on tug hill, but they get so much snow so it's much better than vt for consistency) Higher humidity. Terrible winds. So even that sucks. Snow gun reliant in Vermont....enough said
Now does that mean I would never visit a vt resort or you can't have pow days? Of course not. It's just doing a fair comparison. That's all. You guys can't seem to handle the truth. Stop living in a bubble.

Snowlover

can anyone recommend a good motel near tug hill?
Buget inn in barneveld. If you are looking for cheap. Towpath and edge hotel if you are looking for something close. The edge is real nice and has Jacuzzi in some of the rooms if you want a nice getaway in a nice hotel room.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I really don't know what Snowlover/Snowmaggedon/Ricardo's issue with Northern VT (specifically Jay) is. Seems like he/she is putting A LOT of energy into trying to "educate" everyone that Vermont isn't a powder destination or something. Did he get fired from a resort in N VT or have a bad experience at one? Who knows but every one of his threads, no matter if it is AZ, EpicSki, or TGR seems to turn into
bel-air-v-malibu-o.gif

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

I really don't know what Snowlover/Snowmaggedon/Ricardo's issue with Northern VT (specifically Jay) is. Seems like he/she is putting A LOT of energy into trying to "educate" everyone that Vermont isn't a powder destination or something. Did he get fired from a resort in N VT or have a bad experience at one? Who knows but every one of his threads, no matter if it is AZ, EpicSki, or TGR seems to turn into
bel-air-v-malibu-o.gif

Damn I missed the Ricardo Snowmen one!

snoseek

He's like the rainman of the east coast skiing world....time for a new topic, no one cares

WWF-VT

Snowlover has convinced me to give up my place at Sugarbush and become a passholder at Snow Ridge. Who cares about skiing 2000+ feet of vertical with a variety of terrain in the Mad River Valley when I get so much more snow on a 500 foot hill in Turin, NY.

Cornhead

Bash Snow Ridge all you want, I'll be skiing a foot of pow Friday, how about you? :snow:

bvibert

Staff member
bel-air-v-malibu-o.gif

That's one of the best animated GIFs that I've seen...

At least this thread now has something interesting in it!

snoseek

Bash Snow Ridge all you want, I'll be skiing a foot of pow Friday, how about you? :snow:

Go get it. The bashing is more about the messenger and his overall troll...I'd take a foot on just about anything.

Domeskier

Forget Snow Ridge and the western U.S. How deep is the pack ice in the arctic ocean these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.