• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ultra secret off-piste skiing

Joshua B

It's funny to me the way people talk in code about their favorite secret stashes. Can you name me one run that was absolutely overrun by hungry, internet-savvy skiers who ran out to enjoy an uncovered secret stash after it was disclosed on a web board? It's all very boring to me.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i don't think you'll find any one that can atest to a secret stash being over run after the details were leaked on the net... simply because details don't get leaked on the net from what i've seen. at least i've never learned of a stash via the net and i watch a lot of boards and forums.

of all my time skiing, i've only been shown a secret stash once, discovered two while actually skiing... and discovered two while hiking a mountain. i'm not counting obvious "off piste" such as backside of wildcat, tucker brook, mittersill in general, etc. but rather specific custom cut stashes earned by a summer of hard work. a lot of those types of runs are toasted after only a few skiers have been down them and the people that cut them like to earn that first untouched powder.

i think it's a legit practice keeping their location secret. plus, it means the people that cut them through their own hard work and effort can choose who's in the know. you gotta find a local type deal and earn your knowledge. i think it's a great and interesting aspect of skiing! maybe a little bit exclusive, but ahhh, what the heck!

Lostone

A secret is something you don't tell anyone. If you tell someone, even on the net, it is no longer a secret. :wink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I can recall there was a guy in the SB forum a couple years ago who went on naming all of the stashes and how to get to them...had a lot of angry folks after his head :wink:

The issue is that some of these stashes have been cut and cleared by hand and those folks don't want others to get in on the goods because they invested their blood and sweat for it. Somewhat legit reason to be secret.

dmc

Ski magazine gave up the goods on Hunter a couple years back... They gave the routes and the entrance to one of favorite off-piste areas... We heard it was an instructor that worked for Hunter..

Thank god it was a low snow year so nobody could get them as easily as the year before..

dmc

Brettski said:
Well...since I'm heading up that way this weekend.....

Snow is pretty deep and pretty thick right now..
We could barely get a turn off on boards..
I bet it's going to corn up nice in the next couple of weeks...

mergs

dmc said:
Ski magazine gave up the goods on Hunter a couple years back... They gave the routes and the entrance to one of favorite off-piste areas... We heard it was an instructor that worked for Hunter..

Thank god it was a low snow year so nobody could get them as easily as the year before..

Yeah, who are these people telling Ski Magazine about these things? Ski did the same thing quite recently with another mountain "around the block" from Hunter. UFB. I'd love to know why one would say "hey, guess where I go 2 days after a dump, I go <insert secret stash here>". Tell all your subscribers about it...

Luckily, most people don't pay attention and stay on the groomers.

mergs

ski_resort_observer said:
what's also funny is the replies people get when they ask about a particular stash.

A couple of weeks ago someone asked directions to a fairly well known stash(I know, abit of an oxymoron) at he Bush. The replies and photos he got were hilarious.

Kind a new here... but I'll have to go find that one... :lol: thanks bro

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Alot of Stowe stuff has been showing up on the TGR board with vid and directions given out by people that haven't put any work in over the summer and fall. That pissed off some of the people who originally cut those lines, and I can see why. Ski lines take ALOT of work to create, and powder is a very finite commodity on this coast.

Tin Woodsman

There are two types of secret stashes, AFAIC. The first kind are those that are between trails and relatively easy to discover if you put some thought into it or simply watch out for tracks. Check out a topo, look at a face from a lift, think about where you'd cut if you could. Chances are, there's something there, at least in northern NE where they get enough snow to fulfill those dreams. I discovered about 30 of those at a certain mountain in northern VT over the last 3 years. And I am always discovering more, either b/c they are a little more out of the way, or b/c I've taken the time to slow down and explore potential off-shoots and side entrances that aren't apparent to the first time user. Many of these traisl are worked on by the mountain ops and ski patrol folks in a stealth manner, and eventually become official or semi-official runs like The Church at Sugarbush or Nosedive Glades at Stowe or now Toilet Bowl at K.

The other kind of stash os that which is WAY off the radar screen. These trails will be hand cut by locals and/or others and will often be off the beaten track, either between entire trail pods or in the sidecountry near ski areas. I've participated in a few of these exercises and they are definitely a hoot. I worked hard on my line(s) and can't wait to get back up there this summer and fall. Almost as gratifying is to do a deep think about where these obscure runs might be and then go out and find them. I've been fortunate enough to hit the jackpot 2-3 times this winter and it has paid off handsomely. While the obvious stuff is increasingly tracked out where I ski, the obscure stuff is untracked days after a storm. Still, I feel a little bad whenever I stumble into someone's super secret stash and there are no tracks. I know how annoying it is, first hand, when you make it over to your stash after hitting hte obvious stuff, only to find it already tracked up by some johnny come lately.

The best thing I can recommend is this - don't just be a consumer of these lines. Trolling for info in the lift line or on internet message boards will usually get you nowhere. Be a producer. Increase supply of these lines as their demand continues to skyrocket, so as to maintain the balance of supply and demand and to keep lines as fresh as possible. I'm doing that this summer by finishing up my line #1 (and adding a few sucker lines to fool trespassers) and starting on line #2. Take the time to hike around in the off-season and do something about this problem. You may just find a few things in the woods that you didn't know were there. I thought I knew every between trail line at my home mountain until last summer, when I stumbled across 2 new ones while making my own. Be part of the solution, and it will reward you back many times over.

awf170

Tin Woodsman said:
There are two types of secret stashes, AFAIC. The first kind are those that are between trails and relatively easy to discover if you put some thought into it or simply watch out for tracks. Check out a topo, look at a face from a lift, think about where you'd cut if you could. Chances are, there's something there, at least in northern NE where they get enough snow to fulfill those dreams. I discovered about 30 of those at a certain mountain in northern VT over the last 3 years. And I am always discovering more, either b/c they are a little more out of the way, or b/c I've taken the time to slow down and explore potential off-shoots and side entrances that aren't apparent to the first time user. Many of these traisl are worked on by the mountain ops and ski patrol folks in a stealth manner, and eventually become official or semi-official runs like The Church at Sugarbush or Nosedive Glades at Stowe or now Toilet Bowl at K.

The other kind of stash os that which is WAY off the radar screen. These trails will be hand cut by locals and/or others and will often be off the beaten track, either between entire trail pods or in the sidecountry near ski areas. I've participated in a few of these exercises and they are definitely a hoot. I worked hard on my line(s) and can't wait to get back up there this summer and fall. Almost as gratifying is to do a deep think about where these obscure runs might be and then go out and find them. I've been fortunate enough to hit the jackpot 2-3 times this winter and it has paid off handsomely. While the obvious stuff is increasingly tracked out where I ski, the obscure stuff is untracked days after a storm. Still, I feel a little bad whenever I stumble into someone's super secret stash and there are no tracks. I know how annoying it is, first hand, when you make it over to your stash after hitting hte obvious stuff, only to find it already tracked up by some johnny come lately.

The best thing I can recommend is this - don't just be a consumer of these lines. Trolling for info in the lift line or on internet message boards will usually get you nowhere. Be a producer. Increase supply of these lines as their demand continues to skyrocket, so as to maintain the balance of supply and demand and to keep lines as fresh as possible. I'm doing that this summer by finishing up my line #1 (and adding a few sucker lines to fool trespassers) and starting on line #2. Take the time to hike around in the off-season and do something about this problem. You may just find a few things in the woods that you didn't know were there. I thought I knew every between trail line at my home mountain until last summer, when I stumbled across 2 new ones while making my own. Be part of the solution, and it will reward you back many times over.

I do the same thing of skiing really slow along the side of the trail and look for tracks going into the woods. I did this on every trail at wildcat and i found many things. Its funny though because sometimes you can go by something a hundred times and never see it, thats what happen with to me at wildcat with the creek enterance you have to go under the pipe. The cool thing is no one else sees it :D

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Its funny though because sometimes you can go by something a hundred times and never see it, thats what happen with to me at wildcat with the creek enterance you have to go under the pipe. The cool thing is no one else sees it
till you posted the dirt online complete with pics...
:p

Tin Woodsman

I do the same thing of skiing really slow along the side of the trail and look for tracks going into the woods. I did this on every trail at wildcat and i found many things. Its funny though because sometimes you can go by something a hundred times and never see it, thats what happen with to me at wildcat with the creek enterance you have to go under the pipe. The cool thing is no one else sees it

Yup, that is a lot of fun. Happened to me more times than I can remember. But please trust me when I tell you that it is so much more gratifying to create the supply and then enjoy it instead of simply being a consumer. Plus, it kind of gives me a guilt free conscience about hitting other people's lines.

awf170

riverc0il said:
Its funny though because sometimes you can go by something a hundred times and never see it, thats what happen with to me at wildcat with the creek enterance you have to go under the pipe. The cool thing is no one else sees it
till you posted the dirt online complete with pics...
:p

you cant tell where it is though? thats why i didnt take any pics of the enterance or anything like that. Hopefully i didnt give anything any :-?

awf170

Tin Woodsman said:
I do the same thing of skiing really slow along the side of the trail and look for tracks going into the woods. I did this on every trail at wildcat and i found many things. Its funny though because sometimes you can go by something a hundred times and never see it, thats what happen with to me at wildcat with the creek enterance you have to go under the pipe. The cool thing is no one else sees it

Yup, that is a lot of fun. Happened to me more times than I can remember. But please trust me when I tell you that it is so much more gratifying to create the supply and then enjoy it instead of simply being a consumer. Plus, it kind of gives me a guilt free conscience about hitting other people's lines.

ya i hope i could get up to wildcat and cut some lines. Not too sure my dad would want to go do that though because he cant ski them

Tin Woodsman

ya i hope i could get up to wildcat and cut some lines. Not too sure my dad would want to go do that though because he cant ski them

Then get a group of like-minded friends together. Nothing better than a vigorous morning hike followed by lunch on the top of the hill. The temps are always 10-15 degrees cooler up there, with a gentle, cooling breeze and fantastic views like in the winter. Have a quick bite, maybe a drink or smoke, and you're on your way. Really puts your mind and tummy in a good place for the afternoon's work.

However, please remember that it is important, vitally important in fact, to learn proper techinque before venturing into the woods to cut your own lines. Do not simply wade in and start mowing stuff down with your dad's chain saw. There is a fantastic and insightful discussion of proper technique at www.treeskier.com. (edit: Just went over to check on the site and discovered that the links to the cutting guidelines section isn't working. Check back in occasionally during the summer b/c it's a gold mine of info on what to do and how to do it) This site is maintained by Jay Appleton, currently head of the MRG Co-op board and possessor of a masters degree in Forestry. He organizes volunteer cutting days at MRG in the late summer and fall. It's a great time.

Anyway, the quick tips are as follows:

1) Nothing mechanical, only hand tools like bow saws and loppers.

2) Scout the run out extensively beforehand, on skis or with snowcover if possible. It's much easier to visualize when there is snow on the ground.

3) Take the doctor's hippocratic oath - do no harm. By that I mean, don't just wade in and start cutting indiscriminately. You can always cut more if it's too tight, but it will take 50 years to grow back if you cut too much.

4) Leave some younger trees around older ones to protect them both. The older ones will die eventually, and you want them replaced by something.

5) Cut obscure, tight entrances to avoid it getting overrun.

6) Try to cut multiple lines and turns so as to keep things interesting.

7) Bring as many people as possible - it's a LOT of work. More than you'd think. You have to clear the underbrush, cut the smaller trees in the line, limb up the older trees so you open the line and don't hit your head when skiing (remember your head level will be 3-5 feet higher in the winter than the summer due to the snowpack), and remove the big deadfall. That's a lot of cutting and lifting. On the 300 vert run I did last summer, it took 4-5 afternoons with me and someone else just to get it skiable. Still have another afternoon or two of work to do to get it just right.

awf170

Tin Woodsman said:

Then get a group of like-minded friends together. Nothing better than a vigorous morning hike followed by lunch on the top of the hill. The temps are always 10-15 degrees cooler up there, with a gentle, cooling breeze and fantastic views like in the winter. Have a quick bite, maybe a drink or smoke, and you're on your way. Really puts your mind and tummy in a good place for the afternoon's work.

However, please remember that it is important, vitally important in fact, to learn proper techinque before venturing into the woods to cut your own lines. Do not simply wade in and start mowing stuff down with your dad's chain saw. There is a fantastic and insightful discussion of proper technique at www.treeskier.com. (edit: Just went over to check on the site and discovered that the links to the cutting guidelines section isn't working. Check back in occasionally during the summer b/c it's a gold mine of info on what to do and how to do it) This site is maintained by Jay Appleton, currently head of the MRG Co-op board and possessor of a masters degree in Forestry. He organizes volunteer cutting days at MRG in the late summer and fall. It's a great time.

Anyway, the quick tips are as follows:

1) Nothing mechanical, only hand tools like bow saws and loppers.

2) Scout the run out extensively beforehand, on skis or with snowcover if possible. It's much easier to visualize when there is snow on the ground.

3) Take the doctor's hippocratic oath - do no harm. By that I mean, don't just wade in and start cutting indiscriminately. You can always cut more if it's too tight, but it will take 50 years to grow back if you cut too much.

4) Leave some younger trees around older ones to protect them both. The older ones will die eventually, and you want them replaced by something.

5) Cut obscure, tight entrances to avoid it getting overrun.

6) Try to cut multiple lines and turns so as to keep things interesting.

7) Bring as many people as possible - it's a LOT of work. More than you'd think. You have to clear the underbrush, cut the smaller trees in the line, limb up the older trees so you open the line and don't hit your head when skiing (remember your head level will be 3-5 feet higher in the winter than the summer due to the snowpack), and remove the big deadfall. That's a lot of cutting and lifting. On the 300 vert run I did last summer, it took 4-5 afternoons with me and someone else just to get it skiable. Still have another afternoon or two of work to do to get it just right.

problem is i live in lynn and i only have one friend who skis and he isnt very good :( i hate this area (north shore of boston)