• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Underdog Mountains

Quietman

Black of ME. Really good tree skiing when snow is good. Hard to beat the $15 lift ticket

Sorry to say, but they couldn't survive with the $15 ticket. It's going up to $25 this season, still can't complain!!! We had a great day there this spring. Mt. Abram is also a favorite with great terrain.

xwhaler

Sorry to say, but they couldn't survive with the $15 ticket. It's going up to $25 this season, still can't complain!!! We had a great day there this spring. Mt. Abram is also a favorite with great terrain.

Yes, I noticed that...$25 wknds and still $15 Fridays. We hit up BMOM on the way to the AZ Summit last yr and were treated with a foot of untracked in the woods. Some really good work a local group, "Angry Beavers of BMOM" are doing up there opening some lines in the woods.
I've never skied Abram but intend to this yr (likely on the Friday up to the Summit)

Tin

Berkshire East

Berkie has some great woods but they need to let things bump up and not over groom like they do. I understand keeping a groomer or two for racing and such but last year when I went everything was groomed out except for Grizzly.

Stratton is over rated to the public but has some great woods skiing and they are often untouched because everyone goes there for the groomers.

4aprice

I would say some of the medium size areas get overlooked. Example; Dartmouth Skiway. A lot of people have gotten there when maybe snow conditions are not the best or one side of the area is closed due to their scheduling, but when fully open and fully operational I've found it to be a blast. Whaleback, Pat's Crotched, Middlebury probably fit this category as well. They are not the big boys but when the snow and weather cooperate I find them quite entertaining.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

skiNEwhere

Big Squaw has the potential to be in the likes of MRG......all they need is a little bit of capital

Puck it

There are no underdog mountains if the there is snow and the lifts are spinning. Just click in and ski!!!!!

I can't wait for the first click of the season.

MadMadWorld

I think you can make an argument for all of the mountains mentioned but Magic sticks out the most IMO. So much potential but they always seem to take 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

skiNEwhere

I think you can make an argument for all of the mountains mentioned but Magic sticks out the most IMO. So much potential but they always seem to take 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

Or because of their lifts, was it one step forward and two steps back? :spin:

skiNEwhere

The area has been neglected for decades, as evident by the Thompson lift failure. From what I've heard from people who've skied the top, they have some good advanced terrain.

And with 1,700 ft of vert I'd hardly call it a small ski area.

xwhaler

Re: Squaw. I see on the Friends of Squaw FB page they are looking for donations to buy a transporter that Sugarloaf has up on Craigslist used for $29k
http://maine.craigslist.org/hvo/4617066162.html

Would be a great way to give access to the whole mtn w/o investing a new lift...Its a very long drive for the 400' of intermediate vertical they offer now but as others have mentioned if the top was open w/o having to hike it would be pretty intriguing.