• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Unreasonable Downstair Neighbors

NYDrew

OK, here's the deal and I'm hoping for some suggestions.

I work nights 00:00-08:30 (or later sometimes). They don't work, they collect from the taxes I pay.

On most nights, I'll be watching TV on and off from about 9pm-11:15pm, before I go to work. It is not loud, I do not like loud noises and my hearing is perfect (annual firefighter physical says so 4 years in a row and counting) although I lost some of my ultra high frequency hearing (the mosquito freq.) this year, which is almost 4 years after I should have lost it according to studies.

They, in their infinite wisdom just had a baby. They complain about everybody making to much noise in the building, but focus on me because I'm directly above them.

At first I was accomodating, opting to read a book instead. I spent hundreds of $ cleaning and conditioning the sound that comes out of my speakers (I have a very nice set up that is computer controlled). My subwoofer sits on a thick rug and a 1'' rubber mat. I listen to the tv at 10-15 out of 50. They continue to complain. One time, I politely asked for him not to idle his work truck outside my window (back when he was working...he choose to leave his job because he had a kid...so now I can pay for 3) and he got all ghetto on me. Truth be told, it was only his work truck once, but every other time it is the welfare truck delivering food FOR THEM....so yeah, its still them. He did in fact raise a fist to me in that instance (happily I was armed and displaying what was clipped to my belt got that fist lowered real fast). They also make tons of noise throughout the day....I can hear them from above but I accept the fact that I live in an apartment. On a humorous side note, guess where this a-hole is from....you guessed it BROWNSVILLE, BROOKLYN....what the hell is up with these people.

I contacted the landlord seeing if i can have the cable connection moved to the other side of the room (above a communal hallway) but the landlords maintenance crew is to busy finishing up projects before winter comes full force (and they are in fact doing tons of work...great landlord). The landlord also said that if they want complete silence then they can get a house.

Last night at around 0600 the girl calls screaming at me, its one of my nights off so yeah, I'm up late. I was watching TV all night and it took hours for them to notice. She admitted that if she did not wake up to put the baby back to sleep she never would have heard it....but she still shouldn't have to hear it the slightest bit...at all. These are her words, she admitted she is being unreasonable without even realizing it. For the first time in 6 months I refused to just apologize, instead I told he that tonight I will turn the TV off, but come morning we can get the landlord involved as a mediator. She flipped on the phone, after 2 minutes of insults..trying to be polite... I just hung up, checked my "home defense system" and prayed that there would not be an escalated repeat of the boyfriends violent episode.

I'm done spending money accommodating these people. I'm not moving the cable line myself nor am I breaking my back moving my 50'' tv and couch to opposite sides of a room without help. In the past I have asked him to sit in his bedroom while i find the best volume for my tv, but he refused. He had his opportunity to give me feedback so we can all live in peace. I'm done, any suggestions because I fear for my home and dog while I'm at work. Right now, the only thing I can think to do is call my boss at the FD and ask him to call the police chief and see if I can get a unit to "hang out" in my parking lot for the next few nights. Step two is wait for the landlord to come back from vacation (11/16) and let the dispute resolution begin. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but I don't think I'm being excessive.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would ignore them 100%. They can call the cops, the cops can show up and determine that you are indeed being reasonable with your volume levels and they can tell these folks to deal with it.

Edd

I agree with DHS but I would also keep a sharp eye out for a different place. I've had your problem before and you are at a disadvantage because folks like these have nothing to lose. It isn't fair but the system isn't strictly set up for fairness.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I agree with DHS but I would also keep a sharp eye out for a different place. I've had your problem before and you are at a disadvantage because folks like these have nothing to lose. It isn't fair but the system isn't strictly set up for fairness.

I kind of agree with Edd. Definitely ignore them. And, if it persists, I would move out if I were you. Life is too short to deal with the headache. And, don't forget, if people from Brownsville are in your building...its way too late for you, my x-NY brethren. :)

Geoff

You need a way bigger subwoofer. You want that 20 Hz stuff to really resonate through the building. When you're at work, put on something with huge bass on. House Club Music is probably your best option.

Hawkshot99

You need a way bigger subwoofer. You want that 20 Hz stuff to really resonate through the building. When you're at work, put on something with huge bass on. House Club Music is probably your best option.

After enough from the neighbors, that would be my tactic as well.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Put it on a timer...say to go off between 3-3:30 AM :uzi:

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com

Back in college, when we got sick of the girls above us blasting their stereo with whatever boy-band was popular at the time (Backstreet Boys I think) we would flip on the ham radio with about 100 watts of power and started transmitting. It's amazing how much of our signal will get picked up by unshielded speakers. They must have moved their living room around 4 times before we found a really nice stereo on the curb in the trash. :D

Or, my dad used to drive his neighbors nuts in his college days practicing on his Bongo Board. Unlike the fancy device in the link, he used a 2x10 and a piece of 2" iron pipe on a hardwood floor. Sometimes for hours.

But yeah, I'd start looking for a new place unless you want to worry about your apartment and your poor dog 24/7. It sucks, but they have kids so it will take an act of Congress to get them out of there.

jaja111

I absolutely, truly, very deeply, feel your pain man. I have dealt with nothing but idiots at the last two apartments I had before I got a house... and for that fact one with three acres of land far enough from neighbors that they can truly go F%^$ themselves if they have a problem with my sub, or "walking too loudly" (swear to god that's a true one.) The second to last neighbor told me she had "anxiety" issues and could tolerate no noise whatsoever. Initially I tried to accommodate her "special" situation, but after receiving non stop complaints from the noise in my place (adjacent to hers) I gave up and ignored her - referring all issues to the landlord. No one ever complained about noise from my unit, including the people below, in the three years prior to her moving in.

Your noise isn't the issue. Its the noise in their heads that is the real problem.

And for them having a baby below, when my newborn falls asleep, he has clarified the true meaning of "sleeps like a baby". It takes a loud, sharp, shock of sound to wake him. Bass just puts him into a deeper sleep. I have heard the same behavior described by other parents. The kid downstairs probably has gas, colic, is malnourished, etc. for it to be such a light sleeper.

If the landlord does nothing and you want to stay and tough it out, the only thing I could suggest is moving the sub up off the floor to a shelf or something. But even that won't cure isolating every sound at those frequencies. Neighbors... pfft.

skidbump

Had a down stairs neighbor complain that my wife heels made to much noise when she walked down the metal stairs every morning when she went to work...Not spiked heel just flats...
Even the land lord thought it was kinda funny.

Now that we have a house i can do pretty much what i please when i please.

I say run a hose down and use some halon gas.Will suck the oxygen right out of room and will never show up in autopsy.

ctenidae

You could always rat them out to Social Services for child abuse.

That's fighting dirty. I like it.

Nothing against kids, and I hope to have some myself some day, but why do people with children feel entitled to special treatment? The noise didn't bother them before the kids, why should you have to modify your behavior because of a choice they made? Aside from common courtesy (holding a door for a quintuple wide stroller, etc), I don't think having kids gives you the right of special treatment.

/opinion subject to change without notice.

hammer

During senior year in college, I lived in an apartment upstairs from our landlord and his family, and we received our fair share of complaints about noise in the evening, but the landlord's kids made their fair share of noise in the morning.

Looking back on this, I wonder what the landlord was thinking, renting an apartment to 6 college students and expecting peace and quiet...:roll:

Now that I live in a house I just get complaints from the neighbors next door if my lawn has too many weeds or if I leave my pop-up camper on the street (in front of my house not theirs) too many days. At least we can play music or the TV at whatever levels we feel like.

dmc

I've only had this issue once... Where I couldn't deal with it...

When I lived in Atlanta I had a down stairs neighbor that would blast his stereo late night... Pissed me off...
I'd bang on the floor to try to get him to shut up...
I complained to the Apt management.. But it still continued... I went downstairs to complain to his face and i was pissed.. I told him my next call was the police.. He took a swing at me and I laid him out with a shot to the stomach and a quick right to the chin.. He said he was calling the police... I said go ahead - the whole incident was on the security video.. And he took the first swing. He never did..

i don't normally condone violence but he swung first.. And I never heard noise again..

Glenn

Stop by to see the new baby....ask to use the bathroom....uppder decker FTW. It may not solve the issue...but it'll confuse em' for a few days. :lol:

neil

Having lived below someone who had a bass woofer on their TV I can understand their frustrations. It can be a LOT louder than it even appears in your apartment. You sound reasonable though, and your neighbors sound like scum so I can understand your frustrations and I'm siding with you on this.

If I was them, and it truly was bothering me, I'd have you come down while you have your TV on to see how it sounds from my perspective - you might be surprised.

Hawkshot99

The only problem I have had in apartments with neighbors was last winter. I had a girl and her boyfriend living upstairs from me. They had a very loud bed, and she was a loud screamer. There dog would also stand there barking the entire time, thinking she was being attacked.... Luckily the boyfriend never lasted very long and it would be quiet soon after it started.