• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts Report 12.5% Increase in Skier Visits and 19.4% Revenue Increase in Epic Pass Sales

thetrailboss

Staff member
This should be the norm everywhere if they are leasing public land and charging for parking. I actually can get my head around this - if they took the money and spent on things that will solve the actual parking problem and not just a revenue generator.
I agree, but I don't think that PCMR is leasing public land. That's what makes me scratch my head....

drjeff

I agree, but I don't think that PCMR is leasing public land. That's what makes me scratch my head....
Based on what happened with the Powdr failure to announce the intention to renew their lease with Talisker when it was PCMR, which lead to Vail ultimately buying them with the bargaining piece that Powdr had which was the land in the immediate PCMR base area, pretty sure that you are correct about their being no public land lease involved, which does make this interesting......

thetrailboss

Staff member
Based on what happened with the Powdr failure to announce the intention to renew their lease with Talisker when it was PCMR, which lead to Vail ultimately buying them with the bargaining piece that Powdr had which was the land in the immediate PCMR base area, pretty sure that you are correct about their being no public land lease involved, which does make this interesting......
Because of my profession, I question Park City having the legal right to "order" PCMR to turn over its private funds to the City for transportation programs and construction. I guess they could pass a tax, but that also has issues.

The 19 conditions of approval for the lift project include using net proceeds from the paid parking to reinvest in transit, transportation and parking measures to mitigate traffic problems around the resort.

PCMR also must provide adequate residential neighborhood traffic mitigation and designate a residential liaison to meet with the city; manage a parking reservation system at the resort with an on-site attendant and a turn-away and tow policy for people without a reservation; mitigate any impact to open space or trails; and comply with the city’s noise ordinance.

jimmywilson69

since Vail likely isn't being a "good neighbor" the Town is forcing their hand. Does seem phishy from a legality stand point. that being said I think its what should be done anywhere they are creating traffic issues. We'll charge for parking but we are going to invest in "sustainable" transportation. Frankly surprised their PR teams hasn't latched onto this idea. I guess their to busy trying to get a controversial employee housing development approved in Vail. Its pretty much every tweet for the past month...

drjeff

Because of my profession, I question Park City having the legal right to "order" PCMR to turn over its private funds to the City for transportation programs and construction. I guess they could pass a tax, but that also has issues.

TB, is PC still affectionately known as "No Parking City" on occassion?

Always has struck me, even before PCMR and the Canyons became one resort as between those 2 base area access points you had what would typically be enough parking spaces for a couple of Eastern mid-sized ski areas with Deer Valley being slightly better, but by no means a supply of parking spaces that meets their demand on numerous days of the season.

And aedquate supply of parking spaces seems to be a common theme for many of the ski resorts in the general Salt Lake City vicinity

crystalmountainskier

Very normal for western ski towns to require mitigation in exchange for building permits. Housing mitigation, traffic mitigation, etc.

I think the reason Vail doesn't mind is there's not a lot of money to be made from parking. The proceeds go to collecting payments, parking attendants, snow plowing and maintenance.

thetrailboss

Staff member
TB, is PC still affectionately known as "No Parking City" on occassion?
I've never heard it called that.

Always has struck me, even before PCMR and the Canyons became one resort as between those 2 base area access points you had what would typically be enough parking spaces for a couple of Eastern mid-sized ski areas with Deer Valley being slightly better, but by no means a supply of parking spaces that meets their demand on numerous days of the season.
Probably largely because it is a destination resort town where a lot of visitors fly into SLC, are shuttled up to PC, and don't have a car. Now with the rise of the cheap multi mountain pass, the name of the game is volume. Hence the breakdown.

And aedquate supply of parking spaces seems to be a common theme for many of the ski resorts in the general Salt Lake City vicinity
Read my comment about the change to discount multi-mountain pass programs and that strategy. Add to it an increasing population, most who are here to ski and ride, and you have that issue.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Very normal for western ski towns to require mitigation in exchange for building permits. Housing mitigation, traffic mitigation, etc.

I think the reason Vail doesn't mind is there's not a lot of money to be made from parking. The proceeds go to collecting payments, parking attendants, snow plowing and maintenance.
Mitigation--absolutely. But essentially imposing a tax--that seems a bit of a stretch.