• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Ski Shops See Brisk Business and High Demand for Shop Services

thetrailboss

Staff member
One shop said it has a three week backlog on tuning skis! Is anyone having any issues? Out here it is still too warm for us to start skiing but it may be happening as soon as early next week if it cools down.

Kingslug20

I can't imagine not skiing because their is a 3 week wait for tuning....

Edd

I can't imagine not skiing because their is a 3 week wait for tuning....
I'd just ski untuned boards. Also, though, I tend to just get them tuned at the mountain during a break these days. So much easier than taking them to the local shop.

Kingslug20

waxing has to be the easiest thing in the world to do..and sharpening while harder..with todays tools is pretty easy as well..as long as you don't over do it. Then once a year get a full tuneup to get the bases in shape. Even P tex repair is simple..as long as its not near the edge or a full hole shot.
But then again..people hire handymen to change light bulbs for them.

Dickc

waxing has to be the easiest thing in the world to do..and sharpening while harder..with todays tools is pretty easy as well..as long as you don't over do it. Then once a year get a full tuneup to get the bases in shape. Even P tex repair is simple..as long as its not near the edge or a full hole shot.
But then again..people hire handymen to change light bulbs for them.
Special Edge, and core shot p tex I have used this stuff. I had a core shot next to an edfe, I patched with this stuff, and its lasted for years.

Hawk

I do tune my skis myself in the middle of the season but I also have a tune card and get it done professionally a few time a year to keep them perfect. I do ski sugarbush and Mad River after all so it is a bitch sometimes. They do a way better job at the shop with p-tex reairs than I do. Mine have been sitting in the shop for about 2 months now waiting for me to pick them up.

Kingslug20

Yes..you sure can ski on untuned skis
I use a soldering iron made for base repairs and special ptex.
Never heard of the crazy things people hire handymen for?
Im a chief maintenance engineer.. ive seen it all...my lights dont work...try the switch...there ya go...
Im cold...close the window....and on and on.

urungus

I'd just ski untuned boards. Also, though, I tend to just get them tuned at the mountain during a break these days. So much easier than taking them to the local shop.
How long does on-mountain tune typically take ? All the local shops I’ve found in Western Mass / Pioneer Valley typically have a 1-2 week turnaround, not just this year but always. I don’t understand why it takes so long unless they are contracting out their tuning work to someone else ?

cdskier

How long does on-mountain tune typically take ? All the local shops I’ve found in Western Mass / Pioneer Valley typically have a 1-2 week turnaround, not just this year but always. I don’t understand why it takes so long unless they are contracting out their tuning work to someone else ?
Pre-covid you could get it done sometimes while you wait...worst case was overnight. A lot changed last year (not that I'm sure what COVID has to do with how quickly skis can be tuned unless it is just related to staff shortages)

abc

Quite likely have to do with staffing shortages.

Browsing through all the various threads that are more or less on the same theme, AZ'er are moaning the high ticket prices, but at the same time fear of resorts not "making it" and closing down.

Well, if you extend those same thought to all the ski related businesses, they face the same challenges. Last year, there's huge uncertainty as to whether we have any real skiing at all. This year looks much brighter. But Covid can still throw us a monkey wrench or two.

If you're a business owner, say a ski shop, how much product do you want to order, and how many staff do you want to hire? Do you plan for a gangbuster season? A subdued season? Or something in between, say just a close-to-normal season?

If you plan it wrong, you may end up with big inventory you can't sell. Or staff you sitting half idle. So a safer (but less profitable) option is to under plan. Less inventory, fewer staff. So you can't handle quite as much business. But you won't end up spending money on product/service nobody wants.

In year's past, they might be able to hire someone when business picks up. But we know this coming season that isn't going to happen due to the real shortage of people willing and able to work.

I've come to accept less services and longer turnaround time for just about everything. That way, I won't be too disappointed when things don't get done when expected.

Kingslug20

Its why people need to learn and do things themselves...time to become more self sufficient..you can learn to do anything on you tube..if you want to take the time.

skiur

Early season I ski on my rock skis, they haven't been tuned in close to a decade.

abc

Its why people need to learn and do things themselves...time to become more self sufficient..you can learn to do anything on you tube..if you want to take the time.
It’s an inefficient way to do things. Everyone does a poor quality diy job of all kind. You want to take the time to cut your own hair? How about brain surgery?

Don’t get me wrong. I work on my own equipment, bike, ski, boat repair, you name it. But I really rather not spend my time on those, but spent it written computer software, which I’m way better at and can do it way faster. I end up doing a lot of things myself because I can’t find good place that does a decent job.