• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Ski Shops See Brisk Business and High Demand for Shop Services

Kingslug20

And with a labor shortage...but I get it..some people just aren't mechanically inclined and need us. Not a bad thing for us. Its why I may un retire and start a handyman business. We just bought a house in VT in a large community, with more houses being built around it. A good oppurtunity to both help out the contractors with small jobs they dont want, and home owners who need help.

abc

It's not just people who aren't mechanically inclined.

I can clean a toilet spotless. But is that the best use of my time to clean the office toilet when we can't find anyone else to do it reliably?

JimG.

Staff member
Pay someone enough and they'll clean your toilet until it sparkles.

Not saying you won't but many folks have come to expect cheap, fast, and good quality. In the real world you get to pick 2 out of 3.

Reactions: abc

abc

Can't agree more!

I'm always pick the latter 2 of that 3. But when it comes to office toilet, I don't have a say.

Personally, I think the pay for manual labor is too low. But seems people really gravitate to cheap products (food in particular). So the business that provides the product had to respond by paying as little as possible for their workers. Sadly a negative cycle.

JimG.

Staff member
Personally, I think the pay for manual labor is too low. But seems people really gravitate to cheap products (food in particular). So the business that provides the product had to respond by paying as little as possible for their workers. Sadly a negative cycle.
I'm with you, I'm happy to pay more for timely good quality. Always tip well too.

Businesses that cater to cheap and fast are learning that nobody wants to work for them. I have zero sympathy.

I predict that most foodservice will be automated by 2050. A robot will cook your food. That will be when I cook our food at home exclusively.

Kingslug20

Most big stores now have automated checkout..it works well. I'm out the door in minutes. A lot complain that they will not use them as they should not have to do this..whatever..it works...
And yes..robots are the future. You can completely automate a fast food restaurant..right now.

cdskier

Pay someone enough and they'll clean your toilet until it sparkles.

Not saying you won't but many folks have come to expect cheap, fast, and good quality. In the real world you get to pick 2 out of 3.
Then there's also cheap to the point of it not being fast or good quality...

JimG.

Staff member
Most big stores now have automated checkout..it works well. I'm out the door in minutes. A lot complain that they will not use them as they should not have to do this..whatever..it works...
And yes..robots are the future. You can completely automate a fast food restaurant..right now.
I use the auto checkout as well. We buy food for a day or two at most so I'm not willing to wait behind folks with 2 shopping carts full of stuff. I don't mind and don't understand people who feel they should not have to do that. That's just being a snob.

Kingslug20

Wondering how much money could be made tuning skis...start a pick up drop off service...people just don't have time anymore...hmmmm

drjeff

Wondering how much money could be made tuning skis...start a pick up drop off service...people just don't have time anymore...hmmmm

One of my kids former race coaches gets (at an athlete discount) $20 a pair the night before a race.

He had his system down, including using some of his athletes as helpers where they also learned how to tune, so that in about 3 hours, he could do 25-30 pairs.

On my own bench in my condo, I typcially do 6 to 10 pairs on a Friday night (depending on who in the familiy has been on what pairs the prior week and/or what skis they'll be on that weekend) in a little over an hour an a half. Granted in both instances the skis being worked on don't have significant edge/base damage so edge prep can be done very quickly with a few passes with either a diamond stone or a gummi stone in a file guide, and with the use of a roto brush after scraping the base finishing goes quickly as well, so it become an efficient process if you have the proper tools and bench set up

Kingslug20

I'm pretty fast but one thing that cannot be done at home is base grinding..at least not as effectively as a machine..and those machines cost a lot. Well I have some time to think about all these things..this winter I'm just going to ski..and work on the house.

BenedictGomez

These people would be amazed how easy it is to tune them your self. Maybe I should go into the ski tuning business.

It's just that people dont know because they've never thought about it. I only started doing our skis about 5 years ago, once you make the initial investment in supplies, you're done. But even that "investment" is small & only cost about what perhaps 3 tunes would charge.

mister moose

one thing that cannot be done at home is base grinding.
Right. I'm a bit of a hybrid. Do my own tuning & waxing, and sometimes drop them off. Early/late season frequent edge dings? Drop em off. But the big advantage to a season tune is once in a while dropping them off for a light grind to level them up. I'd way rather have that done on a mega dollar machine.

The season tune waxer on the other hand is a glorified buffing wheel with wax on it. When you consider the schlep to the shop and back, just wax your own, and a basement hot wax beats the buffer wheel every time. Needs a touch up? Diamond stone or file your own. Mid season I'm doing my own most of the time. If you have the set-up and it's convenient, it's hard to go back to the assembly line tune, which lets face it, isn't that sharp, or have temperature specific wax, or knows where you like the edges de-tuned, if at all.

drjeff

I'm pretty fast but one thing that cannot be done at home is base grinding..at least not as effectively as a machine..and those machines cost a lot. Well I have some time to think about all these things..this winter I'm just going to ski..and work on the house.
Check out the used tuning machines page on FB.... I keep getting closer to pulling the trigger on one most times I see a new listing from them.... 😳😳

Kingslug20

Just bought a tuning bench. I had to trash my wood one as we are moving. This one folds up so I can take it with me to the house or condo. Funny thing..my wife won't let tune her skis..would rather have the shop do it..because you know..I have no idea how to do after at least 10 years doing it...ok..2 less pair to tune. But..she doesn't get them tuned very often at all...hmmm..wonder why they aren't sharp..or waxed....

boston_e

As others describe, I'm on a hybrid as well. Drop them off here and there and to waxing / diamond stones in between.

Over the past couple of years, I've transitioned responsibility for their race skis to my kids for the in-between touch ups etc.

jimmywilson69

I do a full tune at the beginning and then wax myself as the season progresses. If I need I quick sharpen I drop into the shop at my local mountain. I need to learn how to do edges and get those tools. Doesn't seem like rocket science... Any suggestions?

Kingslug20

Beast tools are great and very easy to use.