• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Skier Visits Down Significantly Due to COVID-19

drjeff

I could never do that on a daily basis!
I've lived in CT since 1993. Not sure if I can remember if there's been a time in those almost 30 years now that there hasn't been some type of construction going on in the general I-91/I-84 interchange area in Hartford..... And it's still often a traffic jam! And that's nothing compared to what the majotiy of I-95 is on a regular basis!

The joys of living in a state that serves as bedroom communtiy for many regions as well as the pass through for the NYC-Boston commercial traffic and then through in a bit of tourism traffic along the shoreline especially....

kingslug

Between everything that is going on..I think I might call it and head to Vt..I'm about as burnt out as ever and just see no reason to continue with this insanity. She want to keep the house in Ct as well but at least I can escape to Vt and start looking for a house up there...then sell Ct.

x10003q

It's always been bad at rush hours but it's never been constant like it is in the recent past.

I had heard 84 and Route 7 were two lanes in Danbury and it was expanded to three lanes in the 80s when Praxair moved to Danbury. They're working on studies to add more lanes but there won't be shovels in the ground til the 2030s...whatever expansion they do would be extremely major as there's a crapton of bridges and overpasses in this stretch.

Every time I get stuck in traffic now I think of how happy I am I'm getting out of here!!! I'd rather wait an hour to head up/down Little Cottonwood Canyon on a powder day to world-class skiing rather than have what-should-be a 15 minute commute to get home from work actually be 30-40 minutes.
84 is 3 lanes thru Danbury, but most of the time the third lane is an exit only - both to the right and the wacky left exit to 7N. FYI - now 1:11pm and, according to Google traffic, the highway is orange and mostly red from NYS to left exit to north bound Rt 7 and then red all the way to the Housatonic River.

kingslug

The Merrit is backed up almost always now...and if there is a crash..there is no way out or a way to get to it..so everyone sits there.

2Planker

I love that you need a car with a 2 second 0-60mph time to get on the Merritt because the designers gave you a 10 foot entrance ramp for speed up.
The road was built for 45-50mph speeds.

No one ever thought people would be doing 70-75mph, on a good day.

Sadly, a 10 foot merge area is just fine when it's crawling along at 10mph.
So maybe the engineers from the 1930's really did know what they were doing....

2Planker

That's called gettin' Storrowed in Boston...
That'll happen 5-10 times over the next couple weeks as all the college kids come back to town

TOP DEFINITION
storrowed
putting a 12'6" truck under a 10'6" bridge. Common in Boston MA. Storrowing Season is usually during late August and Early Sept when College kids that cannot read attempt to navigate their way through the Corn maze roadways of Bahstahn. ( Boston) The rest of the year " Storrowing" occurs by Canadian Commercial Drivers.Je me souviens. DOH!!!
Court spotted a freshly Storrowed truck on the ramp to the Fenway from the outbound side this morning.

The company in question, FriendBox, makes boxes, so that's one boxed-in box box truck. They're based in Danvers, so you'd think they'd have heard about those quaint Storrow Drive height restrictions.

mbedle

That's called gettin' Storrowed in Boston...
That'll happen 5-10 times over the next couple weeks as all the college kids come back to town

TOP DEFINITION
storrowed
putting a 12'6" truck under a 10'6" bridge. Common in Boston MA. Storrowing Season is usually during late August and Early Sept when College kids that cannot read attempt to navigate their way through the Corn maze roadways of Bahstahn. ( Boston) The rest of the year " Storrowing" occurs by Canadian Commercial Drivers.Je me souviens. DOH!!!
Court spotted a freshly Storrowed truck on the ramp to the Fenway from the outbound side this morning.

The company in question, FriendBox, makes boxes, so that's one boxed-in box box truck. They're based in Danvers, so you'd think they'd have heard about those quaint Storrow Drive height restrictions.
11foot8.com

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Never understood why they don't install truck height "limbo bars" on all parkway entrances. You're a 14ft truck? Get smashed as you're speeding up on the on-ramp rather than slamming your truck into a low bridge at 70mph...snarling traffic, requiring a massive effort to get you unstuck, and potentially injuring someone else.

I mean we're talking a couple concrete pillars and some steel here... incredibly small undertaking to save tons of time and frustration.

2Planker

I drive Storrow Dr everyday, to/from work.
It's almost guaranteed that I'll have at least 1-2 days w/ a 30-40 min delay because of some moron.
Used to always be college kids in a UHaul, but recently it's been "professional drivers"

flakeydog

I remember years ago sitting at the Storrow Dr/I93 clusterf**k intersection waiting to cross over to where the science museum is and seeing those duck boat vehicles going by. Every one of them hit the plastic thing hanging down as you were to enter Storrow Dr. Every 2 minutes, whack! whack! I guess they knew something we didn't because I never saw one of those hung up on a bridge.

kingslug

Never understood why they don't install truck height "limbo bars" on all parkway entrances. You're a 14ft truck? Get smashed as you're speeding up on the on-ramp rather than slamming your truck into a low bridge at 70mph...snarling traffic, requiring a massive effort to get you unstuck, and potentially injuring someone else.

I mean we're talking a couple concrete pillars and some steel here... incredibly small undertaking to save tons of time and frustration.
Exactly...

Edd

Not familiar with these. How’s it work exactly?

KustyTheKlown

Not familiar with these. How’s it work exactly?

you'd hit a movable hanging bar that indicates the bridge clearance while you still have a chance to turn back without causing major disruption. common in parking garages.