• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vote for Utah ski bus

thetrailboss

Staff member
Over 1/2 a million people moved there in the last 12 years, all but 3 of them ski. I'm sure ikon doesn't help, but I can't imagine the crowds weren't coming anyway. I would think most SLC places would be maxed out anyway on weekends due to lack of parking and insufficient mass transit. No?
Yep. The push to develop and not keeping up with transit/infrastructure plus the ski industry moving to discount passes and volume all have led to this.

You’ve all heard me bitch too much so I’ll turn it positive—no traffic or crowds this morning on my visit to Brighton for some late season turns.
Good snow, decent crowd, all is good in the world.

snoseek

If I was living anywhere on the southern part of that Valley from like sandy/draper down I would probably take a hard look at Sundance as my goto hill.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If I was living anywhere on the southern part of that Valley from like sandy/draper down I would probably take a hard look at Sundance as my goto hill.
There will be a big increase in traffic to Snowbasin and Park City. One has to wonder if Vail lobbied FOR the tolling.

raisingarizona

There will be a big increase in traffic to Snowbasin and Park City. One has to wonder if Vail lobbied FOR the tolling.
I bet Private resorts or clubs for the mega wealthy with significant snowfall is going to continue to grow. Those are the only new ski areas that have been developed over the last handful of years besides the Mayflower project.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Still happy to be a part of the problem 😀. Long canyon drives down haven't bothered me. A few beers and friends in the car make it all good . Tolling will certainly make an impact. If you're a local SLC skier better get off the pot or start pissing because change is coming and that has been inevitable. Doubt this is a shock to anyone. As mentioned, the tourists will keep coming... it's the locals that are subsidizing.

4aprice

They are going to have to ramp up the bus service again. Took a ride down BCC this year and had to stand the whole way, not very comfortable. By comparison Aspen's bus service continues to be much better. Happy to be in Colorado right now.

BenedictGomez

Variable tolling upwards of $50/vehicle per day. Pure money grab targeting one type of Canyon user.

Which is incredibly obvious once you realize the tolling gantry's location will be near the end of the canyon, about 1/2 mile from Snowbird! Typical left-wingers being left-wing - "skiers are rich, so we'll make them pay it".

BenedictGomez

Half dozen beers in thought…

…does the “skiing market” have a crash like the “housing market”. How much up and up and up can you go before a correction?

Of course if they still come and pay regardless of ticket/pass/parking/tolls then why not keep up ticking charges. But when does this top out?

I'm sober and was ironically thinking the same thing before reading your post. Not a "crash", but one presumes at some point a correction could happen as even a relatively affluent consumer segment has a portion which either hits it's breaking point, or, more likely, it's "I'm not playing this game anymore" just on principal point. Keep in mind, this is all happening in the context of a climate with record high skier visits, which is in no doubt emboldening the cash grabbers.

I wonder how many people skiing "cheap" with EPIC or IKON passes are actually paying more now than they used to once they add back in the $25 parking fees, increased food prices, potentially future tolls, and god knows what else?

BenedictGomez

tourists will keep coming... it's the locals that are subsidizing.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

For instance, if they're going to implement this silly toll, maybe have a Utah resident fee of $5 & the higher fee for the tourist hoards.

BenedictGomez

Interesting thought, but so long as we're speculating, I'd go with Occam's Razor & suggest a transportation Union's likely to blame for either tolling and/or a massive, illogically high, suggested tolling price.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Shouldn't it be the other way around?

For instance, if they're going to implement this silly toll, maybe have a Utah resident fee of $5 & the higher fee for the tourist hoards.

No it's the insane amount of locals that are the problem with essentially unlimited ikon access to most of the local resorts. Too good to pass up. If you're local and skied 3-5 days a year without ikon just doing day passes, you're certainly going to ski more with ikon. Everyone in the 4-10 skier days a year bracket that were buying day passes picked up an ikon pass and got more days in than ever before.

BenedictGomez

tourists with cars are also going to be in utah plate rental cars more often than not

Not by plates. You have a simple scanner at the gantry electronically reading your car, similar to the way some car washes and other places work. Pretty easy tech to implement. In order to get the pass, you have to have a Utah license.

jimmywilson69

or here's an idea. build a fucking gondola and only allow people up there who are staying on property...

tolling is ridiculous especially since from all reports, they CUT DOWN the bus service this past season.

build the cost of the lift ticket for the gondola into whatever product you purchase from the ski resorts at the other end. Its really not that difficult...

BenedictGomez

or here's an idea. build a fucking gondola and only allow people up there who are staying on property...

tolling is ridiculous especially since from all reports, they CUT DOWN the bus service this past season.

build the cost of the lift ticket for the gondola into whatever product you purchase from the ski resorts at the other end. Its really not that difficult...

Oh, I agree 100%, it's a cash grab as others have stated. I'm just saying that if you're going to hammer people financially like this, it's typically the tourists (SEE: People Who Cannot Vote Locally) who pay.

jimmywilson69

Which is fine thats what happens when you visit a tourist centric area. I don't mind funding improvements but not the bottom line of SLCs budget