• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vote for Utah ski bus

thetrailboss

Staff member
or here's an idea. build a fucking gondola and only allow people up there who are staying on property...
So put in a taxpayer paid gondola to cater only to guests of Snowbird or Alta?
tolling is ridiculous especially since from all reports, they CUT DOWN the bus service this past season.
The reason is because UTA cannot hire drivers. It's a terrible job. When someone on the lift last month complained I asked, "so are you looking for a job? Would you drive for UTA?" They replied hell no. That's the reason why there are less busses--no drivers.
build the cost of the lift ticket for the gondola into whatever product you purchase from the ski resorts at the other end. Its really not that difficult...
POWDR can afford the $500 million pricetag. But they want us taxpayers to pay.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Interesting thought, but so long as we're speculating, I'd go with Occam's Razor & suggest a transportation Union's likely to blame for either tolling and/or a massive, illogically high, suggested tolling price.
"He thinks that there are unions in Utah!"

3-Dumb-and-Dumber-Laughing-Gif.gif

FBGM

3-Dumb-and-Dumber-Laughing-Gif.gif
Hahaha. The Utah unions are such a joke. So weak. When I worked in the lets call it “construction” sector out there I was blown away by the competitor companies that were union. My friend from NJ runs a construction company and we used to share stories. What a night and day difference.

BenedictGomez

Just via a quick GOOG I was able to find several Utah transportation unions. Now, while I have no idea if they're lobbying for the tolling like I said I suspect, but if they're not, they should be dissolved as a Union for malpractice.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just via a quick GOOG I was able to find several Utah transportation unions. Now, while I have no idea if they're lobbying for the tolling like I said I suspect, but if they're not, they should be dissolved as a Union for malpractice.
UTA is partially unionized. UDOT, AFAIK has a state employees union but that’s more for employment issues. The Utah Legislature is a Republican supermajority and hates unions. So while there may have been some lobbying (I’m not aware of any) by these groups on this specific issue, I highly doubt it was at all effective. Anecdotally, and based upon what has reported, this has been a long time coming and was accelerated by major traffic and parking issues resulting from the four Cottonwood ski areas traffic volume since 2018-2019. Which coincidentally enough started after the Ikon Pass came into being combined with a big increase in population.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

It's official, UDOT picks the Gondy.

I think it would be awesome, but the cynic in me thinks it never happens, and it's just an elaborate ruse to get the "tolls paying for it" installed & the buses running. That 20+ year timeline really has my spidey-senses tingling.

machski

It's official, UDOT picks the Gondy.

I think it would be awesome, but the cynic in me thinks it never happens, and it's just an elaborate ruse to get the "tolls paying for it" installed & the buses running. That 20+ year timeline really has my spidey-senses tingling.

UDOT can pick whatever option it likes. The shovels don't hit dirt until the politicians grant the $$. Good luck, still a pipedream at this point.

4aprice

So this is becoming more interesting to me. LaCaille (the restaurant) is about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile from my BIL's condo at Canyon Place on Wasatch Blvd. I know the restaurant closed during the pandemic but I thought I remember them operating in some sort of manner when I was out there last March. I realize the property is fairly deep but wondering where access to the gondola will be. (Wasatch or Little Cottonwood Rd) Maybe TB or SS have seen have seen the plans, so my question is where will access to the gondola be? On Little Cottonwood Rd or Wasatch Blvd. I know there is already a Park & Ride lot up on LCC Rd but LaCaille as it currently sits is a fairly good distance down the hill from that lot.

On a side note I did get to eat there one time. Very interesting building and property and a very expen$ive meal.

jimk

So this is becoming more interesting to me. LaCaille (the restaurant) is about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile from my BIL's condo at Canyon Place on Wasatch Blvd. I know the restaurant closed during the pandemic but I thought I remember them operating in some sort of manner when I was out there last March. I realize the property is fairly deep but wondering where access to the gondola will be. (Wasatch or Little Cottonwood Rd) Maybe TB or SS have seen have seen the plans, so my question is where will access to the gondola be? On Little Cottonwood Rd or Wasatch Blvd. I know there is already a Park & Ride lot up on LCC Rd but LaCaille as it currently sits is a fairly good distance down the hill from that lot.

On a side note I did get to eat there one time. Very interesting building and property and a very expen$ive meal.
Don't know the full answer to your question. I took a few walks on the LaCaille property when it was closed during the pandemic. Never ate there. It has a decent amount of acreage. Here is a couple year old article. The article includes a video depiction of the project that indicates the parking and gondola terminal would be adjacent to Rt 210 about 1000 feet north/west from the mouth of the canyon. If that video is still the most likely plan, then the parking and gondi loading station would be above (closer to the mouth) then the current restaurant location. Those neighborhoods right below mouth of canyon are the ones most vehemently opposed to gondi. Ironically, if they ever build it those homes might be considered quite prized as lift-served real estate.:)

Direct link to gondola video