• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vote for Utah ski bus

mbedle

The hazard doesn't go away due to non-immediate proximity to the vector(s).

COVID19 transmission is primarily via aerisolization, so in your example of 5 members of a family in a gondy cab, let's say only Father has the virus. When they exit the cabin viral particulate will still remain in the air for the next group who enters. What's the average interior gondy size? I'll use Stowe as an example and say maybe 25 feet, give or take. That's really, really, tight for 4 or 6 bodies.

In that tight an environment with no ventilation & low humidity, based on known indoor contact tracing multiple-person spreading examples we have in conditions which are far less "dangerous" than a gondy, I'd speculate almost everyone in that next cabin would contract COVID19. Bonus "contagion points" if Dad's a bit winded from a tough mogul run.

How about taking out all the windows in the gondola? You've got four small windows on the front and back and two larger ones on the door. Maybe leave the doors open on the return trip to air out the gondola?

mbedle

I just looked at Stowe's operating plan for the summer and if that continues into the winter, its going to be a shit-show... Lift lines for as far as you can see... lol

EPB

I just looked at Stowe's operating plan for the summer and if that continues into the winter, its going to be a shit-show... Lift lines for as far as you can see... lol
The waiver way to go, if feasible, is probably best. If one is too stupid to realize they could get COVID-19 at a ski area, then they'd also be too stupid to get themselves to the ski area or hire a lawyer in the first place. That said, it's undoubtedly much more complicated than that.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Killingtime

That's my fear for the winter. Went on Amazon a few weeks ago and bought every Northeast backcountry book I could find. I think I could fill a season off the grid if I had to. The wife ain't digging the idea though. But seriously, there will most likely be some kind of mandated protocol ski resorts will have to follow and it will probably include a long wait time to get on a lift. I think we will all have to have a lot of patience this year which unfortunately for me, I'm not good at.

BenedictGomez

How about taking out all the windows in the gondola? You've got four small windows on the front and back and two larger ones on the door. Maybe leave the doors open on the return trip to air out the gondola?

I'm not the lift construction aficionado many on here are, but I dont view that as sufficient from the gondys I can immediately think of (Stowe, Whiteface, Gore, Snowbasin) as the windows are just way too small.

It's not that your idea doesn't make sense, I just dont think it would make a sufficient enough positive difference given how small & confined a space it is. We're talking about nanometer-sized particles here. And given it's not like the CDC is going to run a "COVID19 gondola study", there's no way we will know. But from what I've learned of proven known indoor spreading incidents globally, there is absolutely no way in hell you will catch me in a gondola at any ski resort until 3 weeks after I've been injected with a vaccine.

Smellytele

Small ski areas are going to get my money this year.
Staying away from the Stowes and Killingtons of the world

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

p_levert

That's what I'm wondering about virtually all opening "phase rules". It all seems so arbitrary.

University of New Hampshire just put out their plans today. Among other changes they are reducing dorm capacity by 50%.

So, what is the data behind such a decision? Do they feel it will result in 50% less infections? It can't.

https://www.fosters.com/news/20200623/unh-reopening-plan-dorms-50-capacity-or-less

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

I think they are moving to all single rooms, no? I can see the benefit from that.

mbedle

I'm not the lift construction aficionado many on here are, but I dont view that as sufficient from the gondys I can immediately think of (Stowe, Whiteface, Gore, Snowbasin) as the windows are just way too small.

It's not that your idea doesn't make sense, I just dont think it would make a sufficient enough positive difference given how small & confined a space it is. We're talking about nanometer-sized particles here. And given it's not like the CDC is going to run a "COVID19 gondola study", there's no way we will know. But from what I've learned of proven known indoor spreading incidents globally, there is absolutely no way in hell you will catch me in a gondola at any ski resort until 3 weeks after I've been injected with a vaccine.

I agree that the window sizing is probably not enough to prevent spread among people riding up together. I was more thinking that with the windows and doors being open on the return down, it would provide enough air circulation to basically clear out each gondola. It shall be interesting to see how it all goes down this season.

machski

I agree that the window sizing is probably not enough to prevent spread among people riding up together. I was more thinking that with the windows and doors being open on the return down, it would provide enough air circulation to basically clear out each gondola. It shall be interesting to see how it all goes down this season.
Either way, Loon is opening their tight box to summer riders early July. A 4 pax gondola, no thanks.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

My prediction is that the earn your turns market is going to boom. This will help the guide industry..hell..most people don't even know you can rent guides for east coast skiing..they all think its a western and European thing. I'm up for it..have to get a little better in the trees though.

Killingtime

My prediction is that the earn your turns market is going to boom. This will help the guide industry..hell..most people don't even know you can rent guides for east coast skiing..they all think its a western and European thing. I'm up for it..have to get a little better in the trees though.

Yep, I think you may be correct. Just picked up a copy of "Best Backcountry Skiing in the Northeast - 50 Classic Ski Tours". Most of it is centered around New Hampshire but covers a lot in VT, NY and MA too. Interesting read that gives detailed directions and GPS locations. A lot of s--t I didn't even know existed and much of it is pretty accessible. I've never used uphill skins before but I guess we all have to start somewhere...Just hedging against the worst case scenario that I am praying we avoid.

drjeff

Seems like the rescue crews could be busy next year with all these new backcountry "adventurers".

That's about a 99.999% certainty! What should we set the over/under at for how many rescue reports have "then my cell phone lost service..." in the first few sentences?

FBGM

Seems like the rescue crews could be busy next year with all these new backcountry "adventurers".

Nah, more like lots more Jerry jerk offs with no business stepping into the BC will die and collect innocent regulars who know. Kickin cornices for the gram and dropping lines with peeps below. Standard weekend in LCC. Multiply that this winter 5x with every dentist dad and his $4000 touring set up that saw a avy report once and now says he’s an expert

Smellytele

Nah, more like lots more Jerry jerk offs with no business stepping into the BC will die and collect innocent regulars who know. Kickin cornices for the gram and dropping lines with peeps below. Standard weekend in LCC. Multiply that this winter 5x with every dentist dad and his $4000 touring set up that saw a avy report once and now says he’s an expert

Just a long way to say what I was saying

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone