• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 12/08/05

Zand

Date(s) Skied: 12/08/05 (Night)

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett Mountain, MA

Conditions: Excellent PP on Conifer and Challenger, plain horrible on Ralph's and Look Mom

Trip Report:

Well, trip #4 was my 4th best December visit ever to Wachusett. The other 3 were powder days, but today was incredibly mid-winter. Temps in the mid 10s, snow guns roaring, but no crowds.

Conifer: Extremely excellent conditions, especially for early December. Last time at this year, it was only 3 days into the season and Conifer was a half-covered sheet of nice. This year, it's now a fully covered trail with nice snow the entire way. Some parts in the middle were a little scratchy, but it was the exact same as your typical January day at Wa. To the sides was some great built up snow to do some quick turns in. Guns were blowing on 10th Mountain, Smith Walton, Salamander Cutoff, and a few on Conifer. Polar Express was running in full speed with a maximum wait of 5 chairs all night.

Challenger: 2nd best run on the mountain. Consistent packed powder the entire run except for or 2 patches of ice. Some folks were race training. Due to the opening of more trails, the beginners have gone elsewhere and it's okay to go fast on this one again. Fully covered just about the whole way. Minuteman had a slightly longer "line" than Polar, but only 10 chairs or so at max.

Look Mom: Some spots were nice packed powder, mainly right at the side, but most places were that built-up manmade that looks nice, but is really a mound of weirdly edgeable ice. Only half covered, but some more snowmaking and a foot of snow will take care of that for the weekend.

Ralph's: Exact same as Look Mom. There was a section near the bottom where the lights never went on. You could see where you were going, but you couldn't really see what was in the snow. Also pretty much half-covered.

I MIGHT go up tomorrow around 10 AM if the local snowmobile trails don't open. The general consenus is about 8-14" for the area.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Hey Zand, we'll have to catch up sometime up there. My regular ski partner didn't get a Wa pass this year since the drive to Snow is almost the same as it is to Wa from UConn (where he is).

I'll probably be going up after work a few nights next week, the conditions look like they'll be excellent. I'll let you know more definitely when I figure out my schedule for next week.