• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 12/09/06

Zand

Date(s) Skied: 12/09/06

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett Mountain, MA

Conditions: LSGR, WNDBLN

Trip Report:

Day 2 at Wachusett was much like day 1. Arrived at 3:50 and they actually let me on the lifts before my pass was supposed to be allowed. Nice gesture there. Not much to say, so here's the trail by trail:

Conifer: Tons of small jumps to the side. Some were fun to hit, but some made the parts of the trail before them all scraped up and people were flying all over the place. One guy put me right in the woods. A lot of the trail was windblown but in most spots there was enough crud to the side to make some good turns in. Polar Express was running 3/4 speed and maybe got up to a 5 chair wait around 6, but it wasn't even as crowded as last night.

Challenger: Took one run down it which consisted of mainly windblown and scraped down base. To add to that, there was little to no crud to the side. Some parts were ok, but it was mainly scraped. Trail was about half covered and the base wasn't all that deep.

Look Ma: About the same as Challenger. There were some natural humps to get some air off but then it was a free for all because there was no snow to stop in and you'd just slide sideways for a while. There was a box towards the bottom as well. Minuteman was running in 3/4 speed and was a ski-on the entire night.

Monadnock: Took one run up there around 8:30. Got stuck on the lift for 15 minutes which sucked, but at least it was sheltered so it wasn't cold. I skied down Sundowner which was actually closed. Some parts were grass, but it was mainly mounds of frankensnow. Indian Summer looked decent. The lift actually felt slower than last night.

Well, thats about it for day 2. I'll have another report Tuesday before all the snow gets washed away by the rainstorm.

hrstrat57

sunday am wa day 1

ski'd wa today, not first chair but close to it with three epic bears and couple of my kids....zand has it spot on.....tho styrofoam starting to break up a bit early season stuff...lotsa crunchies and scratch in spots...

no worries first time out, no bare spots just blast thru it(well tuned 170 rx 8's a big help).....I was out at 11:30, clipped the tix and got $5 back.

sweet......a real good day number one.

finally!

:)

Mark_151

I was there today also, at about the same time -- from about9 AM to 11 AM. I had a complimentary ticket I had to use before the 24th. It was my first time riding the lift this season, so that amount of time was just about right. The mission was to shake the cobwebs out and remember how to tele -- mission accomplished!

hrstrat57

I was there today also, at about the same time -- from about9 AM to 11 AM. I had a complimentary ticket I had to use before the 24th. It was my first time riding the lift this season, so that amount of time was just about right. The mission was to shake the cobwebs out and remember how to tele -- mission accomplished!

Free....my favorite word.

$39 today(couldn't use the AAA passport today, no double discounts)....got back the $5 after clipping the ticket so $34 final price....well worth it, considering how hard it has been to get temps for snowmaking I think the Crowley's did their usual fine job getting the hill skiable. Deep cover and a fun first day out.

Agree, mission accomplished.

zero complaints from me.....tho free would have been better.

If it's free it's for me:beer:

bassist286

I got ther at about 12 today, whent to 4 it was a good time although lonely hopefuly tusday will be fun to get together with some az guys and gals. altough i think iw as changed 44 for a half day i wa kinda pissed but i jstu wanted to get on the moutain.

hiroto

I was there 9 am - 1:30 pm with my son and condition was pretty good.
Conifer was very nice later around noon time with sunshine on it making it
nice and soft. Too bad my daughter was sick at home. It was a nice day
for the first day of the season. I'm not too optimistic about the condition
for the next weekend.

It was also nice to be able to use the free ticket this year. I couldn't use one
of those last year because they were hardly open during the early season.

Zand

Huh? The 1st and 25th were the only December days that Wachusett was closed last year. And they were open a few days in November too. The year before was pretty bad though...

hiroto

Huh? The 1st and 25th were the only December days that Wachusett was closed last year. And they were open a few days in November too. The year before was pretty bad though...

Hmm, maybe it was the year before? I don't have much of skiing log but
my Quicken has complete record back for 10 years. According
to that record, my first day of sking at Wachusetts has been:

1999 12/26 (the year my son started skiing)
2000 11/24
2001 12/26
2002 11/9
2003 12/14
2004 12/12
2005 12/11

So, it cannot be the year before either. Is this one of those old age thing that
what happened in 2001 seems like last year?

RISkier

I recall skiing at Wachusett in early December of 2004. For some reason, the 4th rings a bell. Don't know if it was opening day, but it was close. They had about 1/2 of Challenger covered. I seem to remember that is skied OK, but it was the poster child for the white ribbon of death. I don't think the rest of that December was especially favorable.

SnowRider

My friend was taken to the hospital on 12/10 from wa wa after wiping out. They thought he had a concusion but he was just really banged up.

Mark_151

My friend was taken to the hospital on 12/10 from wa wa after wiping out. They thought he had a concusion but he was just really banged up.

Did that happen on Look Ma Sunday? I was riding the lift about 11 AM and saw the Ski Patrol packaging someone up. I wasn't sure if it was training because all day they were doing training at the top of Ralph's.