• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 12/18/2011

The Sneak

Date(s) Skied: Sunday morning 12/18/2011 approximately 8 to 10 AM

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett, MA

Conditions: LSGR, teens

Trip Report:
Finally, my first day of the season. Pulled into the parking lot about 7:45 and parked in row 1 or 2. It was cold, about 13 F at the base. Booted up in the car and headed for the Minuteman chair. No lift lines to speak of at this point.

First day out since mid april, and first day on new boots (Lange RX 100s), so I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of remembering how to ski and snow quality.

Both Ralphs and Challenger skied pretty nicely, especially after about an hour with the sun coming up and (more importantly) some skier traffic to soften things up. Challenger is still half width for the most part but who cares. Kudos to Wachusett snowmaking ops bc the base seemed deeper than the reported 6-12".

Anyway, we took 10 runs and headed for the car. By this time, hordes of people were arriving and milling about at the base. I bet it was fairly crowded on the hill shortly thereafter. Each run felt better than the last. The cold temps were ideal for snowmaking and the guns were blazing on Conifer the whole time.

I'll be back friday & sat mornings, and am looking forward to Conifer and 10th mtn.

massbmx

Interesting, I might have to try it out at some point this week lets hope the temps stay lower than the forecast is saying.:uzi: