• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend lines?

Smellytele

Never had to wait more than a few minutes at Whiteface yesterday and the conditions were excellent. Avoided the gondola which had the longest line. Other than the Face at the base, most were five minutes tops. Whiteface may have just became my new favorite place. Heard from friends that Killington was nuts on Saturday. Instagram was posting hour long waits at Mountain Creek?? Ugh, I would have just gone home.
It’s all fun and games until it turns into ice face

PAabe

I am thinking about skiing Saturday and am trying to gauge the situation down south here. I am thinking maybe Sawmill (PA), Canaan Valley (WV), Blue Knob (PA), or Laurel (PA) are usually pretty empty. Roundtop could be reasonable if Epic is blocked out, but who knows with all the snow in everyone's backyard and everyone wanting to get out of the house. Maybe I will just xcountry ski.

For what it's worth, Gore seemed pretty busy wednesday and thursday, for being midweek, particularly thursday - (relatively short for the most part) lines at most lifts in the morning except North quad, substantial line for gondola all day, but I guess a powder day will do that, as will being forced to send up 8-person gondolas with only one or two people in them. Platty I think sold out Friday and was still ski on for the most part. We drove by Elk on the way home and the parking lot was absolutely packed - they are not doing online tickets and therefore not limiting sales, but I have no idea what their lift lines were actually like. We have also gone to Montage on a few weekdays and they have been pretty busy, definitely not deserted like they usually are reported to be.

Last edited:

Killingtime

I am thinking about skiing Saturday and am trying to gauge the situation down south here. I am thinking maybe Sawmill (PA), Canaan Valley (WV), Blue Knob (PA), or Laurel (PA) are usually pretty empty. Roundtop could be reasonable if Epic is blocked out, but who knows with all the snow in everyone's backyard and everyone wanting to get out of the house. Maybe I will just xcountry ski.

For what it's worth, Gore seemed pretty busy wednesday and thursday, for being midweek, particularly thursday - (relatively short) lines at most lifts in the morning except North quad, substantial line for gondola all day, but I guess a powder day will do that, as will being forced to send up 8-person gondolas with only one or two people in them. Platty I think sold out Friday and was still ski on for the most part. We drove by Elk on the way home and the parking lot was absolutely packed - they are not doing online tickets and therefore not limiting sales, but I have no idea what their lift lines were actually like. We have also gone to Montage on a few weekdays and they have been pretty busy, definitely not deserted like they usually are reported to be.
Was at Elk two weeks ago on a Sunday and although the parking lot was packed the lift lines were not bad. For whatever reason they seem to do a good job moving people. It's catching on that they are not taking reservations though. Get there early.
I saw something yesterday that I guess is a sign of the times. A couple with PA plates driving around the parking lot at Whiteface asking people if they were leaving for the day and offering to buy their day pass so that they could ski for a few hours. It was about 1:30. Felt bad for them.

cdskier

I saw something yesterday that I guess is a sign of the times. A couple with PA plates driving around the parking lot at Whiteface asking people if they were leaving for the day and offering to buy their day pass so that they could ski for a few hours. It was about 1:30. Felt bad for them.

I ran into people trying to do that at other mountains 10+ years ago (tempted to say maybe it was at either Windham or K). Not really a new phenomena... Although with technology now there's more risk of getting caught.

jimmywilson69

Roundtop is not backed out on Epic and Saturday is already sold out and I'm sure Sunday will be soon. It's been that way all season...

PAabe

Roundtop is not backed out on Epic and Saturday is already sold out and I'm sure Sunday will be soon. It's been that way all season...
Oof I actually haven't been there yet this year so I guess I have no business predicting crowds there! In years past weekend crowds always seemed pretty reasonable there. Although it is the closest ski area to me it is hard to justify going there at the prices they are selling lift tickets for. I am thinking crystal lake xc center saturday and a few night runs at ski sawmill maybe - have not been there before but interested in checking them out. I can't see them being too crazy busy given their location, especially for night skiing, but I certainly could be proven wrong.

So Inclined

Greek was swamped on Saturday, busier than normal on a superbowl Sunday, usually a good day to ski, less parties/bar gatherings due to Covid, I assume.
Hunter was about as good as you could possibly wish for yesterday - just about everything open including most of tree stuff they have there, fine conditions, lots of bumps if you like that kind of thing (I do), and a lesser crowd even for a Super Bowl Sunday. In normal times the crowds are Sunday-normal until mid-afternoon when people move off to the bars and parties. No bar being open yesterday for pregame festivities, along with all the other factors, seemed to keep a fair number of casual skiers away completely. Lines were manageable and the slopes weren't obnoxiously loaded - for Hunter, anyway.

jimmywilson69

Oof I actually haven't been there yet this year so I guess I have no business predicting crowds there! In years past weekend crowds always seemed pretty reasonable there. Although it is the closest ski area to me it is hard to justify going there at the prices they are selling lift tickets for. I am thinking crystal lake xc center saturday and a few night runs at ski sawmill maybe - have not been there before but interested in checking them out. I can't see them being too crazy busy given their location, especially for night skiing, but I certainly could be proven wrong.

Tons of cars from VA and MD I wish they'd go back to Liberty and Whitetail.

It is what it is... I'm fortunate and can go nearly every day

mlkrgr

Lines have been typically around 15-20 minutes between 4 and 7 pm at Wachusett on Sunday nights and within 5 minutes after 7 pm given the change in ticket times.
I was shocked the lines ended up being 30-40 minutes last Wednesday night and nearing right where Smith Walton ends at polar express & all the way to the waffle shack & beginners area at minuteman... the busiest I have seen Wawa yet. Even the Vickery bowl triple was running and it had a few minute wait... never seen a line there when it runs!

ghughes20

Stratton was bad this weekend, especially Saturday. Even the trails felt crowded for the first time this year. Given the restricted lift capacity, the lines were expected. The waits probably maxed out a 20 mins. About 10 mins for most singles lines. The conditions were great, so the lines and crowds weren't a surprise.

I'm heard day tickets for this weekend at Stratton have sold out, so the crowds will be at least as bad this weekend.

Last edited:

slatham

Stratton was bad this weekend, especially Saturday. Even the trails felt crowded for the first time this year. Given the restricted lift capacity, the lines were expected. They waits probably maxed out a 20 mins. About 10 mins for most singles lines. The conditions were great this, so the lines and crowds weren't a surprise.

I'm heard day tickets for this weekend at Stratton have sold out, so the crowds will be at least as bad this weekend.
Yes they are sold out this weekend and I believe next week as well.

It didn't fully dawn on me until I came home to Long Island for a couple of day - it snowed here (everywhere from DC to Boston) last week, and again Sunday. So even those who ski once or twice a year are now thinking of skiing, and its a long weekend, so look out. We will find out who is truly caping ticket sales at an appropriate level this weekend.

NYDB

Stratton was bad this weekend, especially Saturday. Even the trails felt crowded for the first time this year. Given the restricted lift capacity, the lines were expected. They waits probably maxed out a 20 mins. About 10 mins for most singles lines. The conditions were great, so the lines and crowds weren't a surprise.

Maybe not as bad with the Ikon base blackout.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Even at the small places we're packed. At Thunder Ridge the night skiing is busier than anyone can remember seeing. Mid-week skiing (day and night) has exploded compared to what it was. Weekends we are limited with capacity but what's happening midweek and night is wayyyyy beyond compensating for that capacity reduction.

I love to see it. Everyone was saying it'll be gloom and doom earlier this year, myself included. I never doubted skiing but I did think that places would be lucky to break-even. In all of my experiences it seems like everyone in the industry is having a banner year. Ski shops and ski resorts and lodging at least...maybe not the restaurants.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I ran into people trying to do that at other mountains 10+ years ago (tempted to say maybe it was at either Windham or K). Not really a new phenomena... Although with technology now there's more risk of getting caught.
Pretty common occurrence at Stowe during my college years in the 90s.

As were counterfeit passes being sold in the dorms.

VTKilarney

Even at the small places we're packed. At Thunder Ridge the night skiing is busier than anyone can remember seeing.

That could be a reflection of more people working from home and not having to commute home before going out to ski.

jimmywilson69

has to be. I've been going to Roundtop every day at lunch for 3 years and this year has been way busier this year. Although I've noticed a lot more younger crowd, as opposed to mostly retirees.

skithetrees

Even at the small places we're packed. At Thunder Ridge the night skiing is busier than anyone can remember seeing. Mid-week skiing (day and night) has exploded compared to what it was. Weekends we are limited with capacity but what's happening midweek and night is wayyyyy beyond compensating for that capacity reduction.

I love to see it. Everyone was saying it'll be gloom and doom earlier this year, myself included. I never doubted skiing but I did think that places would be lucky to break-even. In all of my experiences it seems like everyone in the industry is having a banner year. Ski shops and ski resorts and lodging at least...maybe not the restaurants.
Have hit thunder ridge twice midweek this years with the kids and shocked how busy it was. Lift lines were almost as bad as on many weekends. We purposely went midweek to avoid the weekend crowds for safety.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Have hit thunder ridge twice midweek this years with the kids and shocked how busy it was. Lift lines were almost as bad as on many weekends. We purposely went midweek to avoid the weekend crowds for safety.

Try again midweek as the seasonal ski lessons are ending this week. Those programs add a ton of people on the hill at night and weekend days. The skiing is great now and they're still making snow!

Killingtime

That could be a reflection of more people working from home and not having to commute home before going out to ski

Yep, I think that's it. I was able to hit both Southington and Thunder Ridge for night sessions recently because I can ski for a few hours and be back home before the 11:00 news. Even bought clear lenses for my Anon goggles (thanks to Prolens in North Troy, VT). I was surprised at how packed they were too. Then again doesn't take that many people to make Thunder Ridge feel crowded but happy to see them rocking it. Cool little place great for families.