• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

We've asked about NH: But what is the best ski area in VT?

thetrailboss

Staff member
In your opinion, which one takes the cake as the best all around mountain?

For me, I would have to say that my top three are Jay, Sugarbush, and Burke.

Jay has a lot of snow and a big mountain feel. Service has always been good.

Sugarbush has great diversity and great vertical.

Burke has great terrain, very good glades, great rates, no lift lines, and good service.

OK, I guess I have to vote for Burke. :wink:

ChileMass

Have skied - Killington, Bolton, Ascutney, Pico, Stratton, Stowe, Magic

Never skied - Jay, Burke, Sugarbush, Mt. Snow, Bromley, MRG, Okemo.

The best - by far - is Stowe, in my opinion. It has the best of the larger resorts (on/off hill facilities) and has a significant spot in NE skiing history. It's the anti-Killington. If you haven't been there, you are missing out.....

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
MRG, no question in my mind.

Following that, Jay (for the snow and glades), Stowe (excellent backcountry terrain), Burke (just a fun place to ski), Sugarbush (excellent choice when no snow at MRG).

-dave-

T

trailbiscuit

Unfortunately, I've never had good weather or conditions at Stowe...but I can see why people love it. So, until that perfect day on Mansfield, I have to go with Jay. IMO, Jay has the best terrain. The 857 feet of snow per year doesn't hurt either.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I've only skiied Mad River Glen, Sugarbush, and Killington (and only skiied one season, so I have a different experience than most of you...). Hands down, Mad River Glen is the best in Vermont, even from a beginner-intermediate skiier's point of view.

S

smallberries

Another vote for Jay here, for good snow, trees, and lack of glitz.
Stowe second, because I had my best ever day of tree skiing there and I like the big mountain feel,
and Burke 3rd for the reasons already listed.

sledhaulingmedic

MRG
Magic
Burke

I haven't skied Jay (was on wind hold), haven't been to Stowe in 25 years and haven't been to Smugs in 15.

N

NickKopan

I think Sugarbush and MRG are the best, tied. The only reason MRG isn't the best hands down is the short season. You can't beat the vast terrain, steeps, quality pow, and tree skiing of Sugarbush. Combined with their decent lifts and lodges, housing, dining, and nightlife, I think it's the best mountain in Vermont.

If you choose mountains based on the quality of skiing, the southern VT resorts just can't compete. With the cheap passes at K-Mart this year, the ASC resorts will be a mess on the weekends. I'll bet the wait on the K1 approaches 1 hour on the 4 holiday weekends. The snow quality at K-Mart, Snow, Stratton (is this an amusement park or a ski resort?) is always wet, soft, and sticky.

Stowe is a great place, with great snow, but it doesn't have the terrain or tree skiing of Sugarbush and MRG. Jay has the best and most snow, but it's very cold and isolated. If you ski a lot, the weather conditions start to wear on you.

Jay is a great place to visit, but I choose to spend most of my time skiing the bush and MRG.

Tin Woodsman

From a pure skiing perspective, none of the Southern VT resorts can hold the jock of anyplace north of Killington. Bigger mountains, more snow, fewr people. It's a good combo.

That said, the best resort is probably the one you're skiing at that day. I just happen to usually be skiing at Sugarbush.

loafer89

I have skied every resort in Vermont except for Bolton Valley, Cochran,
Roundtop and Maple Valley. For me the best in Vermont are by region:

Northern: Jay Peak
Central: Killington
Southern: Okemo