• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What are the "black" trails like at Blue Hills?

New Daddy

I'm thinking of taking my 7-year-old to Blue Hills on weekday nights. What are the black trails there like - especially "Big Blue"? My son can negotiate blue trails pretty well at Gunstock, Mt. Sunapee and Okemo.

AdironRider

Your son should do fine. Blue Hills is the epitomy of "ski bump".

Think McIntyre in Manchvegas, granite gorge, etc.

timm

They can probably handle Big Blue. It is steep(er) but the trail is incredibly wide and always groomed as far as I know. It would be a blue trail at most mountains. Beer's Bluff I'd stay off of...but it's never open anyways. Upper and Lower Chutes you might want to recon yourself first as they often don't see any snowmaking so can be a bit rougher (if open).
Don't go on the weekends.

New Daddy

They can probably handle Big Blue. It is steep(er) but the trail is incredibly wide and always groomed as far as I know. It would be a blue trail at most mountains. Beer's Bluff I'd stay off of...but it's never open anyways. Upper and Lower Chutes you might want to recon yourself first as they often don't see any snowmaking so can be a bit rougher (if open).
Don't go on the weekends.

Thanks for the info.

Will it be crowded even on early weekend mornings? If the lighting is poor, I thought maybe I'd take my son on early weekend mornings.

timm

Early and you'd probably be ok but it can fill up fast on weekends and crowds of novice (and very young) skiers on much shorter trails can make even its easy terrain an adventure. Still, for a young kid still at the earlier stages of learning and at its distance (and price), a good stop to get some turns when you don't feel like driving two hours.

sull1102

I've worked as an instructor at Blue Hills for a while now. Big Blue is a little intimidating for some, but they're opening the main side trail soon, should be this weekend. That's a pretty fun trail, worth it to wait until that's open though. Don't do weekends, way too crowded.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's been too long ago for me to comment on pitch, but it is very short and not overly steep.

New Daddy

I've worked as an instructor at Blue Hills for a while now. Big Blue is a little intimidating for some, but they're opening the main side trail soon, should be this weekend. That's a pretty fun trail, worth it to wait until that's open though. Don't do weekends, way too crowded.

Are weekday afternoons and evenings better in terms of crowds?

Angus

IMO if you live north/west of canton - head to nashoba - more terrain for the young man. Sull1102 is right about the side trail. about 1/4 of width of the main slope hasn't even been covered yet by the snow guns and a good 1/2 of remaining slope's width is taken up by ski practices.

Sull1102, what are you hearing about next year at big blue?

jbone

This seems laughable. That mountain is 200ft high. There are buildings taller than it. He'll be ok.

sull1102

Actually it's 635 feet, with a vert of 309. Hey that actually makes it taller than Nashoba! Whoo we are NOT the smallest ski area.

Angus

All you doubters, this is what the one and only Dan Egan has to say "I learned to ski at Blue Hills. Blue Hills is the closest ski area to any major city in the United States. On a clear evening standing on top of ?Big Blue? is a great site of the Boston skyline and the surrounding area. The skiing is challenging, the main run is steep, and if you want to meet expert skiers who ski up north and out west but still love to ski Blue Hills, stop in and say to the Ski Patrol." source: http://www.boston.com/ae/radio/edging_the_xtreme/