• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What is your #1 destination this season?

Joshua B

I want to take a drive to Maine and stay two nights. Then ski Saddleback and Sugarloaf. I have four non-holiday days off later this month. I hope there will be enough snow to do it then but if not I will just take more time off next year.

I've never skied anywhere in Maine except Sunday River and I've heard great things about Saddleback and Sugarloaf.

Maybe more people can post about their destinations and we can comment on each...get them even more excited about going.

ChileMass

Long weekends planned for Mt. Orford (Quebec) in Feb. and Mt. Snow in March. Day trips to Sunapee and Stratton for sure, possibly Ascutney and Wildcat if I can get out more often.

Messed up - in Oct I found an unbelievable discount fare to Salt Lake City in Feb ($223 nonstop round trip from Boston!!!!) and didn't book it right away. 4-5 days later when I checked back on Orbitz, it had doubled in price......oh well, there's always next year......

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
ugh.. i had my reply all done, and i hadn't logged in yet, so I lost it all...

JoshuaB, unless we get a killer snow storm later in the month, hold off on SaddleB and the Loaf - snowmaking's been kind of weird around here due to odd weather patterns.. so they both might not have much coverage by the end of the year, unless we get a good dump.

I'm excited to check out SaddleB this year for the first time to, so give me a shout when you might be going - odds are I could head up too.

ChileMass, sign up for a BOS to SLC "low fare alert" email from Cheaptickets, Travelocity and Orbitz - all the airlines will be pushing low fares there throughout the year - Boston is the 5th biggest skier market for SLC.
Also, AirTran does cheap flights BOS_DEN, they might do SLC too.

SundayRiver, the Loaf, Bretton Woods, Attitash, Wildcat, Cannon, Tenney are all pretty much normal daytrips for me, so those are whenver I have nothing else to do. XC at pineland farms regularly and Jackson NH a few times a year.

other than that, here's how my ski season's shaping up so far - although this is the most planned i've ever done- usually i just go as things popup.

This weekend:
Kmart

Dec 12/11-12/17 -Colorado (Breck, then maybe Vail or copper)

Jan9-11
Stratton
probalby Okemo before or after.

later in the month: Xgames in Aspen? then to Las Vegas the week before the superbowl for the industry's biggest tradeshow.

Feb - pretty wide open, may spend a few weeks in Jackson Hole.
a couple weeks at MRG, Jay likely.

March.. not totally sure yet here:
NYC for a conference 1-5th
then to the Tahoe area
5th-15th...

then Telluride 24-28th with some before/after trips maybe Silverton.

april -considering whistler...

then it's car racing season here in the Northeast:)

ChileMass

skiguide -

Thanks for the tip on the low-fare alert. I will definitely do that. Also - can I be your caddie on all your trips? Last - how do I get a job like yours......?

J

jlangdale

Where do I submit my resume' to be skiguide's cabana boy?

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
now, now... caddie and cabana boys are two different things...

a caddie would carry my gear everywhere... tough work. repetitive tasks include: cleaning off ski boots, tuning/waxing, not much glamour.
unless you rise to the level of Tiger Woods' caddy.

a cabana boy on the other hand... does things such as rubbing of lotions, bringing tasty adult drinks and delicious eats, essentially a slave boy answering every demand.... now, I could use one of those!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
saddleback and sugarloaf are on my week off from work this winter too! really excited about saddleback, and i'm a dozen years over due for a trip to sugarloaf. no worries about snow making, nature dumps enough by february to make it worth it.

I

IndyJones

I'm going out West to The Canyons, Park City, and Deer Valley. Also I'm going to Snowshoe a little earlier.

nrthest

JayPeak/MtOrford/MtSutton trifecta in early march.
Whiteface inevitably :)
Hope to get2maine for a weekend also.

RISkier

Winter destinations

Though I've perused here a bit, this is my first post. Seems like a friendly bunch. We'll (my better half and I) mostly do day trips to Southern NH since we have a zoo at home to take care of. Planning a weekend in Stowe and possibly a weekend someplace in March. We're going to Lech, Austria in early January. We have many reasons to do a BIG trip this year, we'd wanted to go to Europe, we wanted to go skiing, and well we just ended up planning a European ski trip. I'm a bit worried cause like us, they have very little snow as of yet. But I guess we'll have fun drinking Weissen beer if the skiing is not good. FWIW, we definately are not worthy of the Alps -- we just started skiing last year and I'm pushing 50. Indeed, this is the year and one of the reasons for a BIG trip. We quickly grew to love skiing even though we suck. Wish I'd had an opportunity to start this wonderful sport as a young one. Cheers and think snow.

Joshua B

RISkier,

What a great decision for you and your other half to take up skiing at age 50. You've go a lot of time to improve and explore. While you're at Stowe, make an effort to get over to Spruce Peak, across the street. They've got some beautiful, classic New England trails, and less crowds than over on the mountain or the Gondola area. And welcome to the board!

Greg

Staff member
Spending a week at the Mountain Club on Loon at the end of February. Will certainly hit Loon mostly as we'll be slopeside, but I'd like to sneak off to Cannon, WV, or maybe even Wildcat while there.

Other than that, I'll be hitting Jiminy, B-East, Snow, Killington, and Butternut most likely this season. Killington next Friday, and if I can convince my better half to watch the baby, Jiminy on Sunday...

MtnMagic

For me, my #1 most ideal location, is my girlfriends' house. Why not ?!
Who wants to go hiking! I hear Dec 13 is the next huge hike to go to the Kinsmans.

C'mon and join us. Who wants to go hiking. The two Kinsmans -- 14 are signed up !!!

Greg

Staff member
In addition to the Loon trip, I'm going to the Sugarloaf Raggae Fest! A buddy of mine invited me and we're gonna try to get in skiing that Friday PM, Saturday, and Sunday AM! I can then finally call myself a Sugarloafer... 8)