• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What tunes are you riding to?

Rowsdower

I spent the weekend carving to some Weezer, and The Black Keys. Bluebird days with good snow are the best for some garage rock or pretending you're a kid again.

I know a lot of folks like to throw on some tunes whilst cruising the mountain, so what do the denizens of AZ have on their ski/snowboard playlists right now?

4aprice

Danced in the moguls to some good old Elton John this weekend. Who knows what the mood will be next weekend, could be anything from AC/DC to the Dead to modern dance tunes. Gotta a lot of variety loaded up on the Ipod right now.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Bumpsis

I never listen to music while skiing. It would mess with my concentration on being in the moment and that's a huge part of why I ski - to experience all that's happening with my body, skis and snow and everything around me. While in moguls, the rythm (if I can actually establish one) is that of the mogul field.
If carving down a groomer, the rythm is that of the perticluar run, dictated by the terrain. Music piped through the earbuds or the speakers in a helmet (my son has that kind but he skis sans tunes) would really take away from being able to experince what I'm doing in the moment.
I would also feel I'm compromisng my safety if I tune out the sound of other skiers/riders that may be around me.

This is not a criticism of those that ski with tunes on, just my take on the matter.

planb420

Depends on the time of year I guess, but from about the last week of Feb-Mar is all Dropkick Murphys for me

bdfreetuna

I like to be able to hear the sound of the solid ice being scraped into a perfect slippery-solid plane by the tuned-some-time-last-year edges of my full time rock skis.

No music for me.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I gotta have music! I ride to everything.... classic rock, Pantera, Jason Aldean, and everything in between!

BenedictGomez

I never listen to music while skiing. It would mess with my concentration on being in the moment and that's a huge part of why I ski - to experience all that's happening with my body, skis and snow and everything around me. While in moguls, the rythm (if I can actually establish one) is that of the mogul field.

Ditto. Listening to music would be about the last thing I'd want to do while skiing. Not only for the above, but I'd like to be as disconnected from electronic technology as possible when I'm on the mountain. The other thing is, I think it's slightly dangerous. I want to be able to hear the idiot falling and sliding at 55mph from behind me.

Rowsdower

I wear headphones and keep it at a reasonable volume. Haven't found it to be distracting, at least no more distracting than having music on in the car is anyway, and can hear pretty much anything going on around me. Of course, I don't wear them all the time either. I always take them off to talk to random strangers on the lift.

Smellytele

I ski all the time with music. I listen to many things from Grateful Dead, Beastie Boys, Alice in Chains, Bob Marley, Ben Harper, Dave Brubeck, Johnny Cash, Zeppelin, Motley Crue, Neil Young, Nine Inch Nails, The Band, The Cult, Rage against the machine....
I just hit shuffle and off I go.