• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What were your top 3 days this season?

Greg

Staff member
  1. [thread="23831"]Mad River Glen - 2/8/2008[/thread]
    Great powder day at MRG. Skied with my buddy Joe, ALLSKIING and madskier6. It was Dave's first time at MRG so showing him around was a ton of fun.

2. [thread="24828"]Magic - 2/28/2008[/thread]
    A bluebird powder day at Magic. Also introduced Magic to ALLSKIING for the first time. Got a bit of a late start; otherwise pretty much a perfect day.

3. [thread="22889"]Sugarbush - 1/18/2008[/thread]
    Not exactly stellar conditions, but all the natural trails were very skiable and better than expected considering it was shortly after the big thaw. We killed it from end to end. Introduced Brian to the Lincoln Peak area which was fun.

What were your top 3 days this season?

Zand

1. Stowe 3/16/08... not a powder day but shots in the woods and a couple newly opened trails were untouched.

2. Okemo 3/7/08... Beautiful early spring day with the woods and bumps in prime condition

3. Sugarbush 3/21/08... First 2 runs were amazing... after that it started to get beat up with just Castlerock open

kingslug

Backcountry tour of Alta in Feb.
A great day at Panorama after a 6 inch hit.
Hunter with Jim G, Andy z and Carl...corn!!!!!

All World Skier

Moonlight basin @ Big Sky

At $51 waht a bargain! I went over to the challenger lift. It was a mind blowing experience! Than I went over gulley 6 and that was like 4 Tuckermans ravines!

Where as the challenger was like 3 Tuckermans

Mt Sunapee had the great late season skiing too

Geoff

Mt Baker the Thursday before Christmas. A huge midweek powder day and nobody was there.

A midweek powder day at Eldora in late-February. Again, nobody was there. The trees on the far ski area boundary were completely untracked all day.

New Years Day at Kmart. The day before had been a powder day and it snowed all day New Years Day. It looked like a neutron bomb had hit the place. It was deserted and, by last chair, there was another 10" on the ground and nobody skiing it.

All World Skier

Not too many blue bird days this year!

Mt Baker the Thursday before Christmas. A huge midweek powder day and nobody was there.

A midweek powder day at Eldora in late-February. Again, nobody was there. The trees on the far ski area boundary were completely untracked all day.

New Years Day at Kmart. The day before had been a powder day and it snowed all day New Years Day. It looked like a neutron bomb had hit the place. It was deserted and, by last chair, there was another 10" on the ground and nobody skiing it.

It was a ski mask year!

polski

Website
twitter.com
It depends.

If I define them strictly by quality of the skiing I was able to do, solo days at Mad River Glen sweep all three spots -- 2/27 and 2/28 (foot+ of pow the first day, few inches of refresh + bluebird day the second, ski-in/ski-out accomodations) and 4/8 (truly epic spring skiing with the mountain 100% open, many personal MRG first-descents).

Taking other factors into consideration -- namely how great a time my kids had -- well 4/8 MRG still gets in there (sorry you had school, kiddos), joined by 3/30 Magic (fresh midwinter + spring conditions, sometimes on the same run, and good meeting Billski) and 4/25 Sugarloaf (slopeside condo, pool/hot tub/etc, beautiful spring day). Crotched 1/1 powder day would be a close runner-up.

I still cling to remote hope that this list may yet change, though zheesh is the real-world schedule ever unforgiving the coming month.

snoseek

Crested butte free ski back in Dec. over 100 inches in less than 10 days. I had three days of very deep snow and it cost nothing except for a room and cheap food.

Loveland after a two day 29 inch snowfall. When they finally opened the ridge there was at least three feet (wind gently drifted it in) and i got maybe eighth chair. Every turn was a face shot, every bump on the mtn. was erased. It was a tuesday I think.

I had several days at Steamboat that were insane. Considering Steamboat was bare till mid Dec. and ended up at nearly 500 by early April is insane. I can't really pick one day but january was pretty sweet with snow refilling every single day it seemed.

Angus

with the exception at skiing out west for the first time....hmmmm.

in no order,

Wildcat, April 5th - best coverage - spring conditions of the season. my son and I skied until we could ski no more. Everything was open and snow was soft with no lines on a day that started with rain showers.

Ragged, mid-March - this and Berkshire East were the two discoveries of the year. able to let my son go off and ski with a friend without worrying while I skied with my daughter. By the end of the day, my daughter was skiing with her brother albeit a bit slower! snow was great and some fun terrain.

Berkshire East, mid-January - skied in the Berkshires for the first time and loved this mountain. took my son and daughter. Although plenty of the mountain was closed, it made me want to come back. Run of the day was of my son's choosing - Flying Cloud, a black diamond - and watching his sister make her way down without falling!

also, two great days in December at Cannon. one disappointing day at Cannon in late March when everything had been flattened.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
WOW, that's tough picking out 3 days from the 16 I got in this year :razz:

2/9/2008 - Hunter with JimG and his pal
3/2/2008 - Sugarbush skiing with Trailboss, BeanoNYC, and SnowMonster.
4/6//2008 - Hunter first by my lonseome and then with Kingslug
4/26/2008 - Mt. Washington

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
March 14-16

No question about it. March 14-16 was not only the best three days of my season, it was the best three days of my skiing/boarding career! When you can rub elbows and get your photo taken with Billy Kidd, Phil Mahre, Deb Armstrong, Franzi Fuchsberger, and AJ Kitt it doesn't get much better.

xlgxp3.jpg

16kw8z4.jpg

vsi2w2.jpg

2ce2ekg.jpg

29cv0wi.jpg

2cf5qn8.jpg

Okay, the last one is a fake!

Last edited:

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Out of all of the great outings we had this year, I will say:

1 - Cannon, 12/4/7, almost two feet of pretty dry powder, no crowds, great company, and fun runs all day. Legs felt like they were on fire later, but worth it!

2 - Sugarloaf, 2/27/7, arrived the night before the storm, woke to about ten inches of POW, and had awesome run after awesome off of the King Pine Quad. Funny that by 1:30 the mountain was really thinned out. Everyone skied themselves to exhaustion!

3 - Loon, 4/20/8, second to last day of the season for Loon. Amost 100% open (minus South Peak), temperatures in the low 60's, not a cloud in the sky, soft bumps, could still ski in the trees, smiling faces, great spring skiing conditions, need I say more!

TheBEast

March 1st - Berkshire East - Stayed over the night before in our patrol building. 6 AM start to 7-10 inches of freshies. Skinned up and took first tracks down lift line. 2nd run down liftline. Gotta love making first tracks as the lifts fire up and your fellow patrollers are all on the lift and you've already stolen the prize! I've been skiing there for 7+ years and I skied more woods there that day that I never even knew about. Totally stoked for next season.

December 16 - Berkshire East - 12 inches of fresh powder. Need I say more....

March 7 - Jay Peak - While there wasn't much in the way of new snow, the coverage was outstanding and the crew we were ripping up the mountain with was outstanding....

Too bad my season had on March 12th, but I think she's worth it. Dreaming of the day she joins me on the slopes.

capture_29042008_200853.jpg

Still figuring out how to post photos since each of the photos my digital SLR takes is 5+ meg.

gmcunni

For me:

#1 - Sugarbush - 3/21 - incredible powder day, first time ever skiing in anything like this.

#2 - Pico 3/1 - great powder day with my son (his best day EVER!)

magic 3/2 - bluebird day after a huge dump of snow

Ski Sundown 3/30 - bumps in the spring :)

Vince

3/1/08 Okemo = powder on top of powder. Had a lot of these this year

2/14/08 Loveland Basin = Had never skied here before. A good powder mountain.

4/20/08 Aspen Highlands = Skied Highlands bowl all day long. 40 degrees and sunny. Good way to end the season

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Too bad my season had on March 12th, but I think she's worth it. Dreaming of the day she joins me on the slopes.

capture_29042008_200853.jpg

Still figuring out how to post photos since each of the photos my digital SLR takes is 5+ meg.

Congratulations! My oldest was born on March 11th (1974) and made me a grandfather last September. I'm dreaming of the day he joins me on the slopes too.

Regarding your other question, a photo editing program like Photoshop Elements will do the trick. There are probably shareware resizing programs as well. I used to use one called LView but I don't know if it's still available.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
12/03/08 at stowe - there was a stupid amount of snow for so early in the year
02/14/08 at stowe - maybe 8" but stomped it from open to close and it was bluebird
02/15/08 at stowe - little refresher overnight amazing bench runs never saw anbody except for the guy i crashed into.

i had so good days in utah and CO but the best where at stowe.

playoutside

Really tough to pick just 3, so many were great this year. I guess I'll choose some of my first visits to smaller areas because they were such wonderful surprises.

1/4 - Mt Abram - a beautiful friday full of fresh snow. 2 fer day and no crowds. A first visit that won't be my last.

2/9 - Middlebury Snowbowl- first visit to beautiful area, lots of new snow which continued through the day, paid just $5 for my ticket too!!

2/10 - Suicide 6 - another first visit. Found fresh powder and skied it with my friends boys; snow up to my knees. Another crazy cheap ticket just $7.50!