• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When skiing solo....Do you have any type of game plan?

Smellytele

I tend to have a plan when I am with people or without. When with others I tell people where I am going and they can choose to follow or not. Maybe I am selfish. 2 of my kids will always want to go with me. The middle one not so much. Not an issue when the wife is with me but if not then I have to provide him an option which has always worked.

ScottySkis

Trees not so much after bad Killington experience, other stuff sure but it more fun to be with people.

TheArchitect

I'm solo a lot and go wherever I want, whenever I want. The only 'plan' I have is to hit the harder runs first before my legs get too tired.

Last edited:

TropicTundR

I go into a lowered attack mode, and more into a survive the mountain mode.

Embrace your limits, Know the trail conditions.

What will be, will be. I can't stop the inevitable.

ERJ-145CA

I ski solo about 80% of my days (and 95% weekdays). I really don't have a game plan, I just usually try to get as much vertical as I can while skiing a variety of trails. And I ski very fast most of the time. I think I'm going to slow down though next season because the severity of my season ending injury this year was largely due to high speed. I plan on more relaxed solo skiing next season.

abc

Find the best runs and repeat!!!!!
+1!

I may hunt around until I found the best runs, then keep doing it till I had enough.

With others, I feel obligated to ask if they wanted to go somewhere else after run #2 or 3 at most. By myself, I repeat until *I* got bored, which can be run number 5 or 15!

(It's getting interesting I often found the second post -- first reply-- of many threads the ones I like the most)

Bene288

My solo time is when I really try to work on my skiing. I tend to hit the trees a lot, but typically only ones I know really well. I take it easy and just concentrate on my form.

Riverskier

The only time I have a game plan is on powder days. I know where I want to go, and how I want to get there. Even then, that only applies to about the first 5 runs, and then I just ski wherever I feel like or wherever has the best snow. I tend to like to roam, and Sunday River is a good mountain for that. I will lap a trail though if the snow is good enough.

Cheese

Most of the times I've skied alone have been powder days. On those days I'll just rip alone till my legs start to throb or the majority is tracked out so I'll slow down and regroup with my friends for the hunt for smaller stashes.

Groomer days I either bring people along or after a couple solo runs I'm basically looking for a ski buddy. I'm not rude by busting my way into groups or following someone into their private stash but if others want company or the added safety of the buddy system, I'll gladly participate. Not that skiing can't be self rewarding, but there's something about being able to share your feats and failures with others even if they're basically strangers. I guess my solo plan is to find a ski buddy.

Last edited:

bobbutts

Sometimes top to bottom non stop runs, sometimes stopping 10 times and taking pics and being slow. Music on the lift ride.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Not that skiing can't be self rewarding, but there's something about being able to share your feats and failures with others even if they're basically strangers.

Completely agree. I always prefer to share the skiing experience with friends over by myself.

HowieT2

I always have a plan but that plan depends on conditions and other factors. I like to ski in the woods until i start sweating and then cool off on a groomer.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I always have a plan but that plan depends on conditions and other factors. I like to ski in the woods until i start sweating and then cool off on a groomer.

Howie, lose a layer, pull your hood up on the lift and it's ok to be a bit cold on the lift, you'll be more comfy overall. But then again, you're a sweaty mess mountain too. ;).

mriceyman

moguls.... love to lap em because its tough find buddies who like em as much as me. if there are good trees available then thats where il be 75% of the time.

emmaurice2

I rarely have a plan when i go to mountains i know well. If I'm unfamiliar with an area then I plan what I want to check out.

HowieT2

Howie, lose a layer, pull your hood up on the lift and it's ok to be a bit cold on the lift, you'll be more comfy overall. But then again, you're a sweaty mess mountain too. ;).

I like to sweat. What can i say.