• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When will Killington be open top to bottom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeggous

I think a lot of this can be explained by Killington's market drawing from Montreal, most of New England, New York, and the Mid-Atlantic. They want to make sure they are ready for the crowds. They focus on base depths and trail counts up high so that when they are top to bottom they can move around the crowds.

You are much more likely to see Sunday River go top-to-bottom first. Their goal is always early season terrain expansion for the weekends. They don't mind closing mid-week as they draw from a more limited market. They split the Boston and Montreal markets with Killington, but get very few people from the Mid-Atlantic, New York, and Connecticut.

If you're location dictates that you're stuck skiing Vermont for practical distance reasons, keep an eye on Okemo. They won't be open for another couple of weeks, but when they do they'll be less crowded, better groomed, and more accessible.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
If you're location dictates that you're stuck skiing Vermont for practical distance reasons, keep an eye on Okemo. They won't be open for another couple of weeks, but when they do they'll be less crowded, better groomed, and more accessible.

Hi, you must be new here.

mister moose

Here's another take. Start at Thanksgiving. Work back with how long it takes to roll out Great Northern, Chute, Snowshed, Header, Caper and Timberline. Add a few days for weather. That's when the real pressure is on.

yeggous

Hi, you must be new here.

I'm serious, at least for the first week.

I'd definitely take Okemo over Killington in the first week they are open when the bus, uploading, and downloading (but no hiking!) are required. In the first week or two most of the people skiing are the die hards. At that stage everyone is having a love affair with Killington and the families are not yet out due to the lack of family-friendly terrain. Once you get Okemo open top-to-bottom toward Thanksgiving then forget about it; I won't go near the place.

Domeskier

When will Killington be open to its top 30 skiers, you ask? Most will wait until the trees are in play and they can hide from the envious glares of us terminal intermediates.

where's the snow

I live in central NY killington is about my best option I generally only go when they are 100%ish open and it is a storm. In good weather I can make the trip in 5-6 hours. Im just getting my jones on and nothing else is open.

C-Rex

This is really the way to go. I work remotely from my home studio/office and it's pretty much the best thing ever.

I'm dying for a job like that. I do CAD/Drafting work so it's totally possible if I could only find a company that would allow it. I'd even be willing to take a pay cut if it meant I could live anywhere I want.

Huck_It_Baby

I'm dying for a job like that. I do CAD/Drafting work so it's totally possible if I could only find a company that would allow it. I'd even be willing to take a pay cut if it meant I could live anywhere I want.

You are setup to work from home with that skill set. I am a 3D Animator/Modeler/Motion FX guy so it's similar in that we are both creating digital content deliverables which can be done from anywhere.

Tin

A no ski period and Okemo is better the first few weeks of the season than Killington...thanks for the lunch break laughs.

Edd

Was there an early season few weeks within the last two years where Loon had more acreage open than Kmart for a period or am I imagining that?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Was there an early season few weeks within the last two years where Loon had more acreage open than Kmart for a period or am I imagining that?

Nope, I recall the same. I've also seen Stratton advertise the most open acreage early December as well. Okemo and Sunday River too. Those areas might not have the elevation advantage that Killington does, but from Thanksgiving until Christmas they all seem pretty equal to me with Killington in terms of being able to expand terrain quickly.

Madroch

Skiing Ban? Really?? Bah Hah Ha Ha!!

Made me laugh... The couch is fine for me... I'm usually so beat from skiing it is not even noticeable..... For the first night anyway, and the seventh when I go again...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah, I agree with the get a new wife/have her reassess her position. I would think that Killington would want to get down to the bottom of K-1 ASAP but it is weather dependent. Anyone who was up there see if they were blowing the rest of the route down?

Status
Not open for further replies.