• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where would you live in ski country?

yeggous

Rented a house on Conway lake with a bunch of friends as a ski house for 3 or 4 years back in the 90's. It was on the North end of the lake right near the junction 302 and 113. Nice lake.

That's an excellent solution. Impossible to beat in my mind. I just wish there was more housing on that lake.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

WWF-VT

I'm pretty happy with my current choice of Fayston, VT as a second home location . The MRV is a nice year round community and my likely place to retire.

4aprice

I had visions of the Lake Winnipesaukee Region for retirement for many years. We really enjoy our winters in the snow and summers on the water. Center Harbor would have perfectly fit the bill.

However, the wife had a couple too many of those - 0 F New Hampshire days and planted the seed to head to the Rockies. And I have to say as I age those days are less and less appealing. We have no idea where our daughter will settle, but the boy has made the move out west (and he ain't coming back) so we will spend significant time out there. Jersey is becoming impossible so moving one of these days is going to happen.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

I had visions of the Lake Winnipesaukee Region for retirement for many years. We really enjoy our winters in the snow and summers on the water. Center Harbor would have perfectly fit the bill.

However, the wife had a couple too many of those - 0 F New Hampshire days and planted the seed to head to the Rockies. And I have to say as I age those days are less and less appealing. We have no idea where our daughter will settle, but the boy has made the move out west (and he ain't coming back) so we will spend significant time out there. Jersey is becoming impossible so moving one of these days is going to happen.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Our retirement goal was to find a place in Northern NH for the Winter/Skiing months and a place around the National Seashore on the Cape. But with our move to Colorado, all that has changed because our perspectives are different now. Colorado is comfortable and has everything we want except the ocean whih we though we would miss but have not. California is a quick flight in any case and I like the beaches there better than NH coast. After our son has completed high school, I would like to move closer to the resorts but that might have to wait for retirement which is a ways away.

As mentioned, Northern NH was our focus due to Cannon but would also give us access to Jay Peak, Burke, Bretton Woods, Wildcat etc. Now the target is Summit County, CO!

Krikaya

I figured there might be a few others like me who wanted to escape the rat race and move to God's country (quite a choice of words for an agnostic). I remember when I was travelling in Alaska I met quite a few people who left the big city to live and work up there in the frozen north. They all said it was worth it even though they took big pay cuts and worked $hit jobs that had no future. Why???
Every one of them said they basically took the winter off and played. Snowmachines, sleddogs, , snowshoes, trap lines, skiing, skating...you name it they did it. I guess that's how you get through an Alaskan winter that stretches from September to April.

I'm determined to git outta this rat race so I might compromise and settle in southern NH or Concord as some have suggested. Seeing as I have no real retirement plans, I'll have to work til I drop so the remote areas like the NE kingdom or upstate Maine may not be affordable with no work. Lot's of good options in New England and since winter time is very slow where I work, this winter I'll be a pseudo ski bum exploring and skiing and drinking strange beer and meeting cold women...or maybe drinking cold beer and meeting strange women. Keep the ideas coming. Remember the title of this thread is where would YOU live.

4aprice

As mentioned, Northern NH was our focus due to Cannon but would also give us access to Jay Peak, Burke, Bretton Woods, Wildcat etc. Now the target is Summit County, CO!

Dillon Res is a nice size piece of water. Unfortunately it is part of Denver's water supply and no one is allowed to swim in it. Checked it out when we stayed there last April. They do have a vibrant sailing scene there including poles that help step the mast's of the boats at the ramp, but wife was appalled at the no swimming so I don't see us going there. Our friend in Silverthorne says waters probably too cold anyways.

There's Blue Mesa Res out by Gunnison that looks pretty big and I hope to take a ride by it someday on the way to Crested Butte (who knows maybe this March).

Utah has a few reservoirs where we have seen ramp and docking set ups. Jordonelle is right there by Deer Valley and Heber City and there one up outside of Ogden on the way to Pow Mow. Utah Lake by Provo and Bear lake up by the Wyoming border. Salt Lake is not recommended for boating. Go south and you can get to the really large lake's of Mead and Powell over by Vegas. Gotta do more exploring out there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Vortex

Bethel Maine is My Choice. Small walkable community. Many close lakes and Ponds. Skiing 6 miles away to Either Mt Abram or Sunday River , a shuttle runs if you don't want to drive and enjoy night life during ski season. We even have our movie theater back.

Great hiking too.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
The simple answer is the following question: How much money have you got? I can guarantee that owning a place that is ski-on/ski-off changes the sport entirely (and is much superior to "just being close" to the area).

Beyond money, some of the questions to ask:
1. Do I need the glamour of a "big area" (i.e. Stowe, Stratton, etc.)
2. If you are a park rat, what kind of park do I need?
3. Does the mountain have adequate variety so that I don't get bored? (i.e. moguls. glades, steeps, etc.)
4. How is the crowd going to be?

There is probably more, but that's a start.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Dillon Res is a nice size piece of water. Unfortunately it is part of Denver's water supply and no one is allowed to swim in it. Checked it out when we stayed there last April. They do have a vibrant sailing scene there including poles that help step the mast's of the boats at the ramp, but wife was appalled at the no swimming so I don't see us going there. Our friend in Silverthorne says waters probably too cold anyways.

Did they recommend heading up 30 miles north to Green Mountain Reservoir? It's still freezing by east coast standards, but you can swim, fish, water ski etc. in it. There's a great cliff diving spot on it I used to go to frequently when I spent a summer out there.

machski

Bethel Maine is My Choice. Small walkable community. Many close lakes and Ponds. Skiing 6 miles away to Either Mt Abram or Sunday River , a shuttle runs if you don't want to drive and enjoy night life during ski season. We even have our movie theater back.

Great hiking too.

I second that. If money were no object, I'd buy the last remaining lot in The Glades personally. But the lot $ sure buys a lot of house off hill!

dlague

The simple answer is the following question: How much money have you got? I can guarantee that owning a place that is ski-on/ski-off changes the sport entirely (and is much superior to "just being close" to the area).

Beyond money, some of the questions to ask:
1. Do I need the glamour of a "big area" (i.e. Stowe, Stratton, etc.)
2. If you are a park rat, what kind of park do I need?
3. Does the mountain have adequate variety so that I don't get bored? (i.e. moguls. glades, steeps, etc.)
4. How is the crowd going to be?

There is probably more, but that's a start.

Ski-on/Ski-off is something I am not interested in personally. We like variety as in multiple resorts - yes we would probably pick a home resort but with multiple mountain passes becoming more prevalent a centralized location is optimal.

Park no!

multiple mountains provide variety

if I am retired then mid week is more likely to be the time I would go to avoid crowds

I have to ask what options are available off season?

4aprice

Did they recommend heading up 30 miles north to Green Mountain Reservoir? It's still freezing by east coast standards, but you can swim, fish, water ski etc. in it. There's a great cliff diving spot on it I used to go to frequently when I spent a summer out there.

Do not know this body of water and didn't see it on a map, but they say you "go to Colorado for the winters, and stay for the summers".

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Jully

Ski-on/Ski-off is something I am not interested in personally. We like variety as in multiple resorts - yes we would probably pick a home resort but with multiple mountain passes becoming more prevalent a centralized location is optimal.

Park no!

if I am retired then mid week is more likely to be the time I would go to avoid crowds

Crowds just become a nonfactor if you can ski midweek its amazing. I'd love to somehow set up a work schedule where I could regularly ski midweek, but it just isn't possible. I have such little tolerance for crowds these days...

Ski in ski out can be amazing, but I agree with you about the variety. Ideally you would get an on mountain place at a mountain that is centrally located, but I feel like once you are there you won't go off mountain even if you would end up having an enjoyable experience elsewhere. Laziness drives a huge amount of what I do.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Having lived in Concord, NH for 15 years then moving away, I realize that Concord was a pretty ideal location due to access to jobs, retail, restaurants etc. From a skiing perspective it was the perfect location to day trip all over VT, NH and ME mostly due to the fact that we were at the junction of the 89 and the 93. With in 2.5 hours we had access to something like 45 ski areas. Locally we had Pats Peak where the kids had their school ski program (they left at noon from school and the bus left at 5 to take them back) as well as Gunstock both 30 minutes or less. In about 45ish minutes we had Ragged, Waterville, Crotched, and Loon. About an hour +/- we had Cannon, Dartmouth Skiway, Whaleback, Suicide Six and Bretton Woods (1h 20m) as a stretch. Then 1.5-1.75 hours was Burke, Killington, Pico, Okemo, Attitash and Mt Snow. With about two hours we got to Sugarbush, Magic, MRG, Bolton Valley, Wildcat and Stowe (2+) then within the 2.5 hours are Shawnee peak, Sunday River, and Jay Peak. Nice thing is we got to ski them all including other smaller places in between! While living there it felt like the skiing world was our oyster because we spread the wealth and were never content with a single resort but had access to many. Cannon became our home which we will miss but A Basin is like our Cannon now.

On a last note, the ocean and Boston were like an hour away from Concord as well with plenty of access to hiking, MTB, and other watercraft activities also all over New England.

If it is purely for skiing and wanting to localize it more then I agree the Burlington area is ideal with a focus just on VT skiing which I think is about the best in New England. I also notice that no one on this board lives there. I know some live in NEK or southern VT. Vermont is a funny state - I lived there up until 25ish. The job market is tough and very isolated and often salaries are much lower than even southern NH. So in that respect central NH wins.

+1

I've lived in the Bristol NH area for 11 years now (20 minutes north of Concord in the Lakes region) and I'm surrounded by little places to ski. Ragged is 10 minutes from my house. Sunapee is about a 40 minute drive. Cannon 50 minutes. Hour and a half to Killington or Burke. 2 hours from Jay or Wildcat.

Sometimes I can't decide and I ski in my backyard.

Vortex

Park no!

I did the walk out to a groomed on mountain ski on ski off deal for 9 years. It was awesome with kids and easier for my wife. Could not beat it at that stage of my life. I like it quieter and in town now with more 4 season options.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
My answer remains unchanged for 20 years: North River NY.

I am not a fan of ski-in ski-out living, unless you are talking about skiing our woods. Heavy equipment, backup beepers, crowds and lights are not my idea of fun. Plus, as mentioned above, at some point, weekends are just a small part of the week.

Krikaya

Park no!

Couldn't have said it better myself. I only ski midweek. I get bored with most mountains as soon as I figure 'em out. Variety is the spice of life and skiing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Do not know this body of water and didn't see it on a map, but they say you "go to Colorado for the winters, and stay for the summers".

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

You know, I just didn't fall in love with the summer out there. I missed the warmer and more abundant opportunities to play in the water that New England affords. I'm not even a boater (yet), but I'm in the water every chance I can get in the summer visiting various parks and swimming holes. Mainly freshwater, but some ocean as well. The skiing out there is vastly superior to New England no doubt, but there's just something about old New England charm and four seasons that will likely always keep me here.

dlague

You know, I just didn't fall in love with the summer out there. I missed the warmer and more abundant opportunities to play in the water that New England affords. I'm not even a boater (yet), but I'm in the water every chance I can get in the summer visiting various parks and swimming holes. Mainly freshwater, but some ocean as well. The skiing out there is vastly superior to New England no doubt, but there's just something about old New England charm and four seasons that will likely always keep me here.

Well we thought the same before coming out here thinking we would miss the ocean and lakes but the drier heat and no pesky bugs has won us over. We have hiked more than ever before this summer and a new found passion (my wife hated hiking). We have also found places to get into the water albeit they are limited. We have Kayaked, white water rafted, SUP, been swimming and fishing. We do not have a boat yet but there are places to do that too. Nights here are cool and comfortable (no bugs either).

In New England, I sat in air conditioning or needed to be in the water. If I was out at night or hiking I needed to be covered with deet to avoid black flies and mosquitos or had to do tick checks. Our dog hasn't even gotten a tick all summer.