• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where would you live in ski country?

Jully

The lack of bugs is a massive bonus. With lyme disease moving farther and farther north every year, the thought of eliminating all those worries is so nice. Just have to convince my extended parents to move out there too...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well we thought the same before coming out here thinking we would miss the ocean and lakes but the drier heat and no pesky bugs has won us over. We have hiked more than ever before this summer and a new found passion (my wife hated hiking). We have also found places to get into the water albeit they are limited. We have Kayaked, white water rafted, SUP, been swimming and fishing. We do not have a boat yet but there are places to do that too. Nights here are cool and comfortable (no bugs either).

In New England, I sat in air conditioning or needed to be in the water. If I was out at night or hiking I needed to be covered with deet to avoid black flies and mosquitos or had to do tick checks. Our dog hasn't even gotten a tick all summer.

I definitely appreciated the weather and lack of bugs as a great benefit. But, everyone is different. Spent a full summer out in Summit County and while I enjoyed myself, I knew it wasn't for me for year round living.

snoseek

I definitely appreciated the weather and lack of bugs as a great benefit. But, everyone is different. Spent a full summer out in Summit County and while I enjoyed myself, I knew it wasn't for me for year round living.

Summit county is too high and cold for summer im and there really isn't enough water. Its better as a day trip to escape heat im as there's lots of fun stuff to do.

As far as Colorado goes its western slope for me all day long. Im done with the front range noise.

SkiFanE

Bethel Maine is My Choice. Small walkable community. Many close lakes and Ponds. Skiing 6 miles away to Either Mt Abram or Sunday River , a shuttle runs if you don't want to drive and enjoy night life during ski season. We even have our movie theater back.

Great hiking too.

Here here. Thank goodness movies are back - kids can walk there. Sushi 5 doors down. Acres of private meadows for a backyard. Pubs, martinis, zombies... Groceries, hardware (for Kinco gloves lol). Skiing and shuttle. Gould brings culture - I can see going to some of the things they have if I was to live there FT - our ex neighbors were retirees from CT that got involved and went to all sorts of old folks things. Taxes...peanuts compared to MA. Housing is cheaper than on mountain, can get quite a bit for your $. It's the first time I've lived in a place where I can ditch a car for most things - in the boonies of Maine - go figure. Now I'm ready to ditch the burbs for metro living once kids out of schools - realized I like living that way. But we don't need need any more Massholes lmao.

dlague

Summit county is too high and cold for summer im and there really isn't enough water. Its better as a day trip to escape heat im as there's lots of fun stuff to do.

As far as Colorado goes its western slope for me all day long. Im done with the front range noise.

Well the Front Range is where the jobs are so Summit County is a play ground for us as well. This is definitely an active state lots to do lots to see all over. We have not even scratched the surface!

Jully

It does suck that Lyme is moving north. Still haven't seen a tick on our property.

Thats great. Hope it stays that way for as long as possible! In Maine (where I lived up until very recently) there was little to no lyme prior to 2010. None if you were up in Acadia, Bangor, etc. Now last year there were over 1,500 cases of lyme and over half of the ticks carry it. It moved up the coast first, but is now increasingly in VT and I'd guess upstate NY is beginning to see some (though I do not know for sure). Its been a disaster from a public health perspective. Trying to educate the public and physicians has been a real challenge.

4aprice

Yea, I agree about the elevation aspect. Dillon res is what? 8000 ft. Was frozen solid when I was there early April. Several times I seen open water on the Utah reservoir's in Late March which I believe are quite a bit lower. You were at Tahoe what was the water temps there?

Ha ha on the front range noise. Denver is booming, son is lovin life out there, but the traffic on I-25 anytime, and I-70 on the weekends is horrid. I can see why it would be nice to be out in Glenwood Springs or GJ.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

fiddleski

OP mentioned Lake Placid, and Rangeley, ME with it's elevation, and lake/mountain situation is similar, with the added bonus of being a fraction of the entry price in real estate and taxes. Points off for Saddleback being dormant, but fingers crossed. Love not having to have A/C - last summer we only even ran a fan on one evening. 45 minutes away and 1000' feet lower, you would be sweating.

dlague

Thats great. Hope it stays that way for as long as possible! In Maine (where I lived up until very recently) there was little to no lyme prior to 2010. None if you were up in Acadia, Bangor, etc. Now last year there were over 1,500 cases of lyme and over half of the ticks carry it. It moved up the coast first, but is now increasingly in VT and I'd guess upstate NY is beginning to see some (though I do not know for sure). Its been a disaster from a public health perspective. Trying to educate the public and physicians has been a real challenge.

Our dog got Lyme disease and now has to have shots annually. Glad we do not have to worry about that here! The worst is finding one in your house.

Scruffy

I'll third or forth Bethel Maine. Close to skiing SR, Mt. Adams, and Wildcat, Mt. Washington not too far away. Sugar Loaf and Saddleback are doable for a day trip. White water kayaking/rafting/canoeing, fly fishing, hiking local Mahoosuc range in ME and the NH Whites. Plenty of back country skiing if you want. Plenty of Mountain Biking/ Road Biking. Not to mention, the largest Snowman in the world. The town is a nice NE town with charming white colonial houses, good restaurants, some nice pubs and shops. And there's an active outdoorsy vibe to the town.

snoseek

Yea, I agree about the elevation aspect. Dillon res is what? 8000 ft. Was frozen solid when I was there early April. Several times I seen open water on the Utah reservoir's in Late March which I believe are quite a bit lower. You were at Tahoe what was the water temps there?

Ha ha on the front range noise. Denver is booming, son is lovin life out there, but the traffic on I-25 anytime, and I-70 on the weekends is horrid. I can see why it would be nice to be out in Glenwood Springs or GJ.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

You know if you don't mind getting in the car and driving a bit to go skiing the whole western slope scene is pretty good. Glenwood has got pretty expensive but go further west and it get cheaper. Honestly I like the idea of GJ, Fruita or even better yet Montrose as Utah is reasonable for a couple days...Powderhorn is a fun local hill, Aspen is close, Telluride is close, the cost of living is reasonable, Colorado River and 10 month+ a year of mtb riding and damn fucking good riding if you ask me. That may be where I stay. Until now I'm gonna tear it up in New England and get this DONE.

raisingarizona

Since I imagine a lot of you are thinking about the retirement years I think Durango would be a good spot. Sure Purgatory isn't a super rad mountain but I bet most of us would enjoy it during our retirement years. It's elevation is about 6500 so it's not too high, it's an awesome town with a population around 20k (not big but not too small), it has a good hospital, a river running through town, a fairly mild winter climate, almost no humidity, 300 days of sunshine a year, night skiing at Hespurus ski area near by (I know it's a dinky hill but imagine skiing deep powder under the lights), a shit ton of mountain biking, climbing, it's one hour to Silverton and two hours to Wolf Creek and Telluride. There is also two cat skiing operations just up the hill and heli skiing in Telluride and Silverton not to mention the massive and epic San Juan back country skiing all right there. You would also be on the edge of the desert for quick mid winter escapes to places like Moab.

Overall Durango has a fantastic lifestyle going for itself.

The majority of housing might not be cheap close to town but the last time I checked there were condos and houses close to Purg that were still <200k.

benski

Since I imagine a lot of you are thinking about the retirement years I think Durango would be a good spot. Sure Purgatory isn't a super rad mountain but I bet most of us would enjoy it during our retirement years. It's elevation is about 6500 so it's not too high, it's an awesome town with a population around 20k (not big but not too small), it has a good hospital, a river running through town, a fairly mild winter climate, almost no humidity, 300 days of sunshine a year, night skiing at Hespurus ski area near by (I know it's a dinky hill but imagine skiing deep powder under the lights), a shit ton of mountain biking, climbing, it's one hour to Silverton and two hours to Wolf Creek and Telluride. There is also two cat skiing operations just up the hill and heli skiing in Telluride and Silverton not to mention the massive and epic San Juan back country skiing all right there. You would also be on the edge of the desert for quick mid winter escapes to places like Moab.

Overall Durango has a fantastic lifestyle going for itself.

The majority of housing might not be cheap close to town but the last time I checked there were condos and houses close to Purg that were still <200k.

Durango also has great MTB trails.

LonghornSkier

I'll likely be in Houston (or elsewhere in Texas) for the forseeable future. Growing up in the Northeast, I really thought I would miss it when I came down here... I really don't to be honest.. Cost of living is lower, food scene is better (Houston>Boston, not talking NYC), and people are friendlier.

Sure, Houston's sprawl sucks, but the west side of the city is really, really nice generally speaking. Not a great place to visit, but a good place to live. In terms of recreation, there's great fishing and water activities in the gulf, and the hill country of central Texas isn't too far.

Long term, I think I'd be more inclined to move West rather than back to the northeast.

deadheadskier

Staff member
re: Houston food scene. I used to work for D'Artagnan, which is pretty much the Porche of food distribution companies in the country. Founded in NYC and spread from there to Boston and DC metros eventually encompassing the whole 95 belt. Since I left the company they expanded to Chicago and then went to Houston. The Houston market absolutely exploded and became the second largest revenue territory for the company behind NYC in just a couple of years.

That said, I could never tolerate the heat in Texas.

dlague

I'll likely be in Houston (or elsewhere in Texas) for the forseeable future. Growing up in the Northeast, I really thought I would miss it when I came down here... I really don't to be honest.. Cost of living is lower, food scene is better (Houston>Boston, not talking NYC), and people are friendlier.

Sure, Houston's sprawl sucks, but the west side of the city is really, really nice generally speaking. Not a great place to visit, but a good place to live. In terms of recreation, there's great fishing and water activities in the gulf, and the hill country of central Texas isn't too far.

Long term, I think I'd be more inclined to move West rather than back to the northeast.

Lots of people from Texas here in Colorado.

The Sneak

I live in southern RI so anything would be closer. For me, I love to ski but I am not sure I would be happy living year round in up north.

The Northampton Mass area would be a great spot since I like to be ski at BEast and Magic. I mean, my daily work commute is close to an hour each way, so being that close to southern VT, the Berks, NY skiing but still having interesting restaurants, shops, breweries, and cultural attractions would be nice.

I am so used to living in college towns I don't know if I could ever not live in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tumbler

I am so used to living in college towns I don't know if I could ever not live in one.

I get older, they stay the same age. Alright, alright, alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]