• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which ski areas have opened in June before?

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Not saying it going to happen this year, even if K is talking about a tentative June 2 closing.

Going a bit of research for fun...

As we are heading closer to June with two ski areas still operating this coming weekend, I began to wonder.

If someone makes it to June in the East this season, it will be the first time since 2002.

Which ski areas have been opened in June before?
Which year(s)?
Until which date?

Killington is the easy one and I already have all the info I had for them.

Killington has made it a number of times. A few times in the 1980s, from 1992-1997 and 2002. Latest closing date was June 22, 1997.

What about the other Eastern ski areas?

St-Sauveur and Tremblant have made it one year to June. 1997?
I think that Sugarloaf and Sunday River have made it before in the 1990s also. I would like to be able to confirm it and find out which season(s)?
Any others?

In the West?

Snowbird UT
A-Basin CO
Crystal WA
Bachelor WA
Mammoth CA
A few more around Lake Tahoe?
Whistler and Blackcomb BC

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I didn't own about Mt. Snow. I presume it was like MSS (or organizing) running a mid-Summer race in August at the hill or St. Denis Street in Montreal back in the early 1980s.

I think a couple ski areas out west reopened late last summer including Snowbasin? Probably others.

For the record, I know that Crystal and Bachelor closed on July 1st last season. Pretty sure it might have been the only places at that time last season with the usual Timberline on Mt. Hood.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
For the record, I know that Crystal and Bachelor closed on July 1st last season. Pretty sure it might have been the only places at that time last season with the usual Timberline on Mt. Hood.

Oh, could I be thinking of two years ago? That might be it.

drjeff

Pretty sure outwest that Squaw and/or Alpine Meadows have spun the lifts in June. And there's always Timberline in Orgeon which in the snowiest of years just shuts down for a few weeks in September before reopening in late October!

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Pretty sure outwest that Squaw and/or Alpine Meadows have spun the lifts in June. And there's always Timberline in Orgeon which in the snowiest of years just shuts down for a few weeks in September before reopening in late October!

I believe that Squaw and Alpine reopened for July 4 in 2006 or/and 2010. I know it was a year I went to Mammoth for that time. Mammoth made it to August in the 1980s, now they simply close for July 4 when there is a crazy amount of snow.

Timberline is year-round. It doesn't really shutdown in September, it just becomes weekends only until the new season starts.

I heard about Red Logde in Montana that opens from late May to early July.

I'm mostly curious about the East.

fbrissette

I think Gray Rocks in the Laurentians might have done it. Definitely till the late May long week-end several years. That would have been 25 years ago or so.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I think Gray Rocks in the Laurentians might have done it. Definitely till the late May long week-end several years. That would have been 25 years ago or so.

I was a regular May skier at Gray Rocks back in the good old days. I'm pretty sure they didn't make in the years I skied there, more or less from the time I got my driver's license at 16 back in 1981-82. Latest I skied was on May 25, 1985. Killington closed June 1 that year. They would generally make to Victoria Day weekend (this weekend), in 1985 they managed an extra weekend.

steamboat1

I think a couple ski areas out west reopened late last summer including Snowbasin? Probably others.
That was June 2011 when Snowbasin re-opened (think it was for June 10-11 weekend). Heck even Aspen re-opened for Memorial Day weekend that year after being closed for over a month. Snowbird set an all time snow record (783" I believe) & stayed open through July 4 weekend.

Picture of Snowbird (Regulator Johnson) July 2, 2011.

211567.jpg

Last edited:

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I was hoping to get some confirmation mostly on Eastern ski areas.

Here is what I found out:

Sugarloaf (once), June 1, 1997
MSS and Tremblant same day (only time I believe)
Killington, a number of times (I have a list somewhere). Latest June 22, 1997.

I can't get a confirmation on Sunday River. I know that they probably made it in 1994 and maybe another year. I can't find a confirmation.

MadMadWorld

I was hoping to get some confirmation mostly on Eastern ski areas.

Here is what I found out:

Sugarloaf (once), June 1, 1997
MSS and Tremblant same day (only time I believe)
Killington, a number of times (I have a list somewhere). Latest June 22, 1997.

I can't get a confirmation on Sunday River. I know that they probably made it in 1994 and maybe another year. I can't find a confirmation.

I'm not 100% positive but I am pretty sure Sunday River didn't make it to June in 1994. I distinctly remember skiing White Heat on the 27th of May and riding up with a patroller that told me that he was hoping they would make it to June but that it was going to be there last day. It's too bad though because they had enough snow to make it to at least the first weekend.....Don't ask me why I remember this