• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which ski resort in New England will see the first accumulating snowfall this season.

nhskier1969

With quite a few resorts out west seeing their first accumulating snowfall on the season. I was wondering which New England resort will see the first accumulating snowfall this season(excluding Mt. Washington).
I figure it will be either Stowe, Jay, Cannon, Wildcat or Sugarloaf.
Any what's everyone thoughts and when do they normally see it?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll go with Stowe. About twice a decade they get measurable snowfall on Mount Mansfield in September

yeggous

With quite a few resorts out west seeing their first accumulating snowfall on the season. I was wondering which New England resort will see the first accumulating snowfall this season(excluding Mt. Washington).
I figure it will be either Stowe, Jay, Cannon, Wildcat or Sugarloaf.
Any what's everyone thoughts and when do they normally see it?

Sounds like a solid list. Any of those are contenders.

chuckstah

I'll go with Blue Hills, or something in the flatlands. Every few years this area gets some Oct snow. Not many years ago i was at a Patriots game around 10/20 with 3 or so inches during the game.

slatham

It is unlikely that only one area - and one area alone - gets accumulating snowfall. The summit elevations and broader geographical proximity of Jay, Stowe Sugarbush and Killington (not to mention Whiteface, Wildcat, Cannon and Sugarloaf) make it highly unlikely that one area gets accumulating snowfall while the others get zip.

Jully

It is unlikely that only one area - and one area alone - gets accumulating snowfall. The summit elevations and broader geographical proximity of Jay, Stowe Sugarbush and Killington (not to mention Whiteface, Wildcat, Cannon and Sugarloaf) make it highly unlikely that one area gets accumulating snowfall while the others get zip.

The Vermont resorts sure, but there are definitely weather systems that can give Sugarloaf snow and not anywhere in VT and vice versa. Same thing with Whiteface potentially, though I am not as familiar with The Adirondacks versus VT by any stretch of the imagination.

Tin

I'll go with Blue Hills, or something in the flatlands. Every few years this area gets some Oct snow. Not many years ago i was at a Patriots game around 10/20 with 3 or so inches during the game.

10/18/2009? The 59-0 game against the Titans? Hell of a game to be at.

I say Stowe and Smuggs get it first.

slatham

The Vermont resorts sure, but there are definitely weather systems that can give Sugarloaf snow and not anywhere in VT and vice versa. Same thing with Whiteface potentially, though I am not as familiar with The Adirondacks versus VT by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes, that's true, but Saddleback and maybe even Sunday River and Wildcat would probably get snow too, so again unlikely to be only one area. And those types of systems - a coastal that hits only Eastern NE/Maine - are not your "typical" first snow of the year. Usually it's an October/November cold front with left over precipitation going to snow at elevation which would, I argue, hit several areas.

Time will tell. Hopefully not too much time!

chuckstah

10/18/2009? The 59-0 game against the Titans? Hell of a game to be at.

I say Stowe and Smuggs get it first.

That was the game Biggest blowout in team history I believe.

chuckstah

Game pic. Bring on the October snows.

Attachments

• 1474317801144.jpg
    1474317801144.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 98