• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

which snow/ski school for kids has the best program?

gladerider

it's been awhile since i put my two teenagers through a week long ski school programs. i put them through tremblant program whenever we go up there for a week during president's week. i liked the program there because they get so many kids they have the process down with a lot of good instructors. i've had my kids in the stowe program too one year, but i did not like their program much. their program was not as good as tremblant's. i think the program/process gets better based on volume of traffic/demand. i now have another small child i need to send next season, i wanted to ask the forum. which program do you like? i have to admit, i've heard smugs has a great program but did not try it.

also, which one would you rate the best in the rockies? i am also trying to plan more trips out west...

thanks.

AdironRider

I think a lot of it depends on you and what your wants and needs are.

What specifically are your needs? Full week of them skiing with instructors and you guys free skiing. Daycare? You planning on skiing with them at all?

There are a myriad of different things and costs associated with each.

gladerider

looking for a good program for kids 3-10. they get dropped off around 9 and gets picked up by around 3/3:30. good instructors with may be 4-8 kids per instructor. day care is good, too. i thought that was a generic need for many. may be i am wrong. i may be completely wrong on this, but i think better programs attract more kids, which equates to more traffic/demand. which has the biggest program in the east and in the rockies?

skimawk

Kid's Program out West

looking for a good program for kids 3-10. they get dropped off around 9 and gets picked up by around 3/3:30. good instructors with may be 4-8 kids per instructor. day care is good, too. i thought that was a generic need for many. may be i am wrong. i may be completely wrong on this, but i think better programs attract more kids, which equates to more traffic/demand. which has the biggest program in the east and in the rockies?

Have a suggestion for two western programs.

Colorado: Beaver Creek. Can not beat The Beav. Check out the Ultimate 4 program.

Utah: Park City Mountain Resort. Sensational Staff. Max 5 Program was the first in the country to have a small class.

Ski to the level of your smile.

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
Killington has a Max 5 rule that means a maximum of five kids with an instructor. They have AM or PM or full day inclucing lunch.
Youngest are Mini Stars, 7-11 are SuperStars and tweens are SnowZoners.

steamboat1

I don't know if it's still the same because it's been at least 15 years since I had my daughter in it for a week but Sugarloaf had an excellent all day program for kids.

skifree

Had good luck at okemo.
Also kids really enjoyed waterville's

If you go midweek u can get Lucky an only have 2 to 3 per class. My Kids did tenney a few years back and had a group lesson to themselves

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I'm surprised to hear that about Stowe. Given the ski culture there and the money that flows into the resort, I'd assumed the ski school is top notch.

I generally assumed that the quality of a mountain's ski school is roughly proportional to the number of high quality skiers you see on the mountain.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I had a lot of interaction today with the kids programs at Stowe. It's all about the instructor. they have to be fun and have fun. They get the kids serious, but know how and when to back off. Sometimes letting the kid get distracted. All the kids (and I saw classes as young as 5YO were taking the gondola to the top. Morning was classes, and afternoon is free ski or more instruction. They instructors I watched were very personable, warm and supportive, but still can have a good time. The kids were all eager to go.

You can find just as great lessons at local areas, but, again,

It's all about the instructor!

MadMadWorld

For younger children Smuggs is the best and it's not even close. They do such an amazing job with the little ones. Kids leave their lessons happy and excited about skiing and thats the most important thing.

ScottySkis

For younger children Smuggs is the best and it's not even close. They do such an amazing job with the little ones. Kids leave their lessons happy and excited about skiing and thats the most important thing.

+1 my dad put me in their ski program on vacation, and it was great. I learned a lot and made want to come back as I got older.

mikestaple

I can't say enough good things about the program at Steamboat. My 4 year old was athletic but a skiing disaster. After 4 days in their program he was ripping blue/blacks and in the glades too (it's Steamboat - you have to be in the glades!)

The school meeting place is right next to the gondola so you have a simple drop off and pick up at the end of the day. The first half day / day they'll evaluate the general demeanor and ability of the child and then perhaps regroup with some higher abilities or knucklehead personalities put together. My son thought his instructor was way cool and really loved it.

We ran into their group twice in different areas of the mountain during the trip and we got to ski with them for a short while. That was great.

They have since instituted the tracker vests so you can see where they are on the mountain at all times.

A great experience. You can't beat Steamboat for the glades, town, and decent variety of terrain (sorry super steeps are limited. All else is in great supply).

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I can't say enough good things about the program at Steamboat. My 4 year old was athletic but a skiing disaster. After 4 days in their program he was ripping blue/blacks and in the glades too (it's Steamboat - you have to be in the glades!)

The school meeting place is right next to the gondola so you have a simple drop off and pick up at the end of the day. The first half day / day they'll evaluate the general demeanor and ability of the child and then perhaps regroup with some higher abilities or knucklehead personalities put together. My son thought his instructor was way cool and really loved it.

We ran into their group twice in different areas of the mountain during the trip and we got to ski with them for a short while. That was great.

They have since instituted the tracker vests so you can see where they are on the mountain at all times.

A great experience. You can't beat Steamboat for the glades, town, and decent variety of terrain (sorry super steeps are limited. All else is in great supply).

I had this great snarky comment all set to go saying thanks for nothing for mentioning Steamboat, then I reread the OP and he specifically mentioned the Rockies.

Foiled again!