• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

White Mountain Superpass: 2013-2014 Waterville, Cannon, Bretton Woods and Cranmore

AdironRider

Sounds like the college passes they used to offer back when I was in school.

Seems like a good pass, I imagine Peak is a bit worried about the hit to Wildcat/Attitash.

C-Rex

Last year Cranmore was included with Jiminy Peak's pass along with Bromley. Did they get sold off or something?

xwhaler

Not bad....does seem a bit pricey at $949. I realize you get 4 mtns but the Crotched/Attitash/Wildcat "Granite Pass" I think was closer to $650 IIRC. I'm not a fan of WV and would be unlikely to use the Cranmore option. Haven't skied BW in many yrs but an extra 30 mins drive time beyond Cannon also likely wouldn;t get me there that much.
It's been mentioned before but a NH State pass of Cannon/Gunstock would be intriguing if priced right....would enjoy seeing special NH resident pricing on that.

The Burke/Jay combo pass is still pretty good value and I think even the Gold Boyne pass would be around the same as the WM Pass if you bought early. This really is taking direct aim at Peak but I wonder about the price difference.

yeggous

This is a really tempting option for someone based out of North Conway.

In favor of the new pass:
- early season snowmaking at Bretton Woods when Wildcat and Attitash are silent
- Cranmore opened weeks before Attitash this year
- Mittersill!
- 4 mountains instead of 3

In favor of Wildcat / Attitash:
- It is cheaper by $350 (unless they raise the price this year)
- On almost all levels Cannon and Wildcat offer very similar terrain, though Wildcat has a better lift
- Includes Crotched Mountain for weekends I stay home (rarely though)
- When would I actually use Waterville? Just for variety on a Sunday or day trip?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Wow, I didn't know the Peak pass was that cheap. I thought it would be right around this price.

But for someone living in the Merrimack Valley, this pass is much more appealing. Easy drives up 93 over dealing with Routes 16, 125, or 302.

xwhaler

I live on the border of the Merrimack Valley and the Seacoast. Drive wise sure 93 is significantly easier but having Crotched as a nice day trip option does have value on the Peak pass. For me if I had to pick one it would come down to extra drive time for Wildcat and having the Crotched option vs the relative convenience and great terrain of Cannon.
I'd likely never go to WV or Cranmore and would likely only do a couple days at either Attitash/BW.

yeggous

You'd do a lot more than a couple of days at Attitash with the Granite Pass. Wind holds at Wildcat are a real problem. For example, 2 out of the 3 days this long weekend.

When you are down to groomers Wildcat is really just 3 trails. They don't make much snow and expansion takes forever.
Attitash gets a (very) late start with snowmaking but does a good job at covering every square inch of the mountain.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I grew up outside of Manchester, and my family still lives there. Coming from that area, there's a reason why the 93 resorts (WV, Loon, Cannon) do so well.

I've done the Manchester to North Conway drive a lot, and even on back-to-back days. I couldn't imagine doing it every weekend. It would wear on me over time.

AdironRider

The Peak pass is 650 or so for just Wildcat and Attitash (no Crotched or what have you), where as this pass gives about double the terrain, so I think the pricing is comparable. Furthermore the resorts a spread out a bit to hit different places with different snow etc.

I suppose in physical size and acreage Cannon and Wildcat are comparable, but I think Cannons actual terrain is in a different league than Wildcat.

xwhaler

I grew up skiing Attitash had prob 300 days on snow there through high school/college so I guess for that reason alone I would look for additional variety. But you are right about the wind hold issue at the Cat, certainly something to factor in. Early Season is actually pretty good at BW and WV while Wildcat is the Spring King among all these.

AdironRider

Bretton woods if I recall correctly, usually gives the Cat a run for their money in terms of last to close. If they lose, its usually by no more than a week, at most.

yeggous

The point about spring at Wildcat is well taken.

I recall Bretton Woods closing most of their respectable terrain early and sticking to that trail under the main lift in the spring. It's okay if flat slush is your thing.

As for terrain at the kitty, it lacks the sustained steeps of the Front Five but has ungroomed terrain that is just as gnarly as Cannon. There are plenty of rocky cliffs if that is your thing.

I'm trying to convince myself that is not worth jumping ship just to get early season snow since the extra $350 buys several early season lift tickets.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
6,900' vertical feet, wow! That is like two Whitefaces, no one will be able to compete with that! :roll:

This is a strong option for someone that likes to ski a lot of areas and can go up either I-93 or Route 16 and likes to follow the snow. But let's be honest, this is an I-93 pass. The only Route 16 option is Cranmore and Cranmore can't compete with any of the other areas, two very different leagues.

This pass would be ideal for someone that isn't strongly partial to any particular area. Which I see as a limited demographic. Cannon people ski Cannon, Waterville folks ski Waterville. Two very different demographics, I think, at least for season pass potential (occasional resort goers are not looking at season passes so they don't count). Bretton and Cannon have the B&B mid-week pass, great option for mid-week. But I don't know if it will translate well for weekenders which might be more partial to one or the other.

$949 just seems like too much of a price bump. At least compared to a Cannon pass, I don't know how much of a bump it is for Cranmore, Waterville, and Bretton. Maybe it is a good deal for only slightly more for those other areas. Jay and Burke is lower and a better value, IMO.

As compared to Granite Pass for Wildcat, Attitash, and Crotched... Crotched offers something closer to home (for MA and SoNH folks) and night skiing which this pass can't offer. Attitash/Wildcat is also going to start earlier and go later (yes, Bretton goes almost or as long as Wildcat but that is a joke compared to what Wildcat offers: best spring conditions almost any where in New England). And that pass is also cheaper. But it is Route 16 focuesed. Pick your artery and go for it. Do you enjoy T2B at Wildcat or Cannon's more expansive and challenging terrain on and off map? Do you enjoy meadow skipping at Bretton or steeper cruising at Attitash. Each pass offers its perks but I don't see them being competitive against each other.

The bigger competition, IMO, is shutting down the Jay/Burke option. That is a total slam dunk for these areas (which, excepting Cranmore, are all competing against folks driving longer/further for better conditions and a fairly inexpensive combo pass). I think that is where there is going to be some decision making for the MA and SoNH pass holder.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
This is a strong option for someone that likes to ski a lot of areas and can go up either I-93 or Route 16 and likes to follow the snow. But let's be honest, this is an I-93 pass. The only Route 16 option is Cranmore and Cranmore can't compete with any of the other areas, two very different leagues.

This pass would be ideal for someone that isn't strongly partial to any particular area. Which I see as a limited demographic. Cannon people ski Cannon, Waterville folks ski Waterville. Two very different demographics, I think, at least for season pass potential (occasional resort goers are not looking at season passes so they don't count). Bretton and Cannon have the B&B mid-week pass, great option for mid-week. But I don't know if it will translate well for weekenders which might be more partial to one or the other.
I completely agree with your first point. It's appealing to someone who likes to jump around and follow some snow.

But I think this would also appeal to a pretty big demographic, the dedicated skier with a family. He could have his kids in the ski school at Waterville, ski Cannon, and take a family vacation to Bretton Woods, all under the same pass.

JDMRoma

$949 just seems like too much of a price bump. At least compared to a Cannon pass, I don't know how much of a bump it is for Cranmore, Waterville, and Bretton. Maybe it is a good deal for only slightly more for those other areas. Jay and Burke is lower and a better value, IMO.

Depending on when you buy the Bretton Woods pass its $110 more from when I did. Having some variety would be nice,although Ive been thinking the Jay/burke pass would be more fun less money but longer drive times.
Its interesting though, all mountains will still offer there own passes too.