• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who makes the best free ride snowboard?

dmc

Never Summer Titan... I rode one last year(169) and it was amazing..
It's a pricey board.. But it's got the big mountain feel and a narrow(ish) waist for turnin'...

Or Never Summer Premier or T5... Full on big mountain decks... Not as "turny"
I own two Premiers(168s)... Need a new one,,, May get a Titan... Costs more though...

I'm going to check out Prior and Ride next year too... Friends tell me the Ride Timeless is a nice big mountain deck

wintersyndrome

I've been riding a Palmer "Honey Comb" for a few years...what I like about palmer is their commitment to high tech materials and their innovation in making boards lighter and increasing strength with their honey-comb base material.
Mine's a 157 has good float, and has fanastic dampening through the crud, and I like the was it carves at high speeds.

Though that being said I hear good things about Never Summer and Ride as well.
My last decision was between a Ride and my Palmer.

though to save yourself some money, buy last seasons models They usually have significant discounts as shops want to clear space get into the new seasons models

spooner

Website
www.spoonerphoto.com
I started with a Salomon Ace, but switched to a Ride Fleetwood by the end of this season. I have large feet, so I needed a wider board. I did as much research as I could, and the fleetwood seemed like the right choice. I rode it all season all over the mountain, nice groomers to moguls...it performed well anywhere I went. It's written up as an intermediate board which seems about right. It has a great base, good construction, and medium flex.

I took a few demo rides on a Palmer Disciple, it was a bit more stiff than the fleetwood, but it turned easily and had a nice balance.

MarkC

I would agree with DMC about the titan. It is an ultra responsive board that does everything you are looking for very well. I tend to like to ride a mid wide to wide board so I think that I will be buying the Titan TX 165 for next season. I have had a lot of experience with Ride boards and for the most part have been very happy with them. I have been through 3 ride Yukon’s which is the wide version of the timeless and I loved them. Before I got out on a never summer I would not have even considered anything else. I have also heard good things about the Arbor Element but have not been on one.

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
Freeride w/ Tree Emphasis

Burton Malolo - stiffer, slightly less tapered, not setback quite as far as a Fish. Now available up to a 166. Ride 'em 4-5 cm's shorter than traditional. Super comfortable in the trees, bumps and pow.:beer:

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
56fish,

How does the Malolo compare in terms of width? Is it fairly wide?

( The 166) In mm: tip 311.4, waist 256.0, tail 291.4. Repectably wide. 8.48 m sidecut radius & the taper make it pretty quick. I use my 58 to pick thru trees at Jay. Deep snow - no problem. I used to ride fast (on a Santa cruz 166 SuperDuo). My Malolo is a little spooky when I trip over to Burke for fast runs on the groomers. But, that's not it's forte. Age & fear has driven me from the adrenalin of speed to the serenity of the woods. Damn good 1-board quiver!:beer: