• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who's Blowing Snow?

skiur

If they were planning to blow again why would they have removed the hoses that had been there all year?

keyser soze

If they were planning to blow again why would they have removed the hoses that had been there all year?
To use elsewhere? Word on the street is they were in place Sunday when a friend was there. Did they just move them yesterday? Even if there were no plans to blow more snow I think it unlikely that they would tear down for the season so early, but we will see. I'm betting on more snowmaking as although there is plenty of snow on Superstar, it is not as much as they usually have built up for the spring season.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I saw parking reservations on the K website are available on weekends until May 15/16th. I don't think anyone is expecting June this year, but May 16th would still be very respectable. But they would almost certainly need to blow again to make that date unless we have a very cold spring, based on the depth I see on Superstar.

machski

I'm at work and not up, but told Sunday River had the snowflake factory charging the system for when winds died down early today only to have the entire area blackout. If they really were charging the system, now they get to scramble to try and drain the water lines before they burst pipes. Sure did seem like they were prepping for one more round a week ago, when they dug out the hoses on White Heat and reset guns. They already emailed passholders that next years passes drop late this week.

skiur

No hoses on supe was yesterday. K is done blowing. Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of snow on supe but not as much as there has been the last 5 years. They will make it to mid may with what they have.
To use elsewhere? Word on the street is they were in place Sunday when a friend was there. Did they just move them yesterday? Even if there were no plans to blow more snow I think it unlikely that they would tear down for the season so early, but we will see. I'm betting on more snowmaking as although there is plenty of snow on Superstar, it is not as much as they usually have built up for the spring season.

K has tons of hoses. The hoses have been there since November and as of yesterday they were not. If they were going to use them it wouldn't be anywhere except superstar.....don't get me wrong, there is enough snow to make mid may....just not as much as they have been blowing last few years. Can't really blame them they certainly made lemonade out of the lemons we were throw this year.

eatskisleep

from this afternoon’s report...

Not to be outdone, Killington snowmakers know a thing or two about soft snow as well. After a short break, they’ll be back on the job Friday afternoon for a round of resurfacing and base building for the long spring ahead. We’ll keep you posted on their whereabouts as the weekend draws near.
The beast of the East!

keyser soze

I'm at work and not up, but told Sunday River had the snowflake factory charging the system for when winds died down early today only to have the entire area blackout. If they really were charging the system, now they get to scramble to try and drain the water lines before they burst pipes. Sure did seem like they were prepping for one more round a week ago, when they dug out the hoses on White Heat and reset guns. They already emailed passholders that next years passes drop late this week.
A friend is up at Sunday River for the week and said they have no power. She slept with her coat on last night and is leaving early. Serious suckage.

keyser soze

from this afternoon’s report...

Not to be outdone, Killington snowmakers know a thing or two about soft snow as well. After a short break, they’ll be back on the job Friday afternoon for a round of resurfacing and base building for the long spring ahead. We’ll keep you posted on their whereabouts as the weekend draws near.
Beat me to it. Plenty of snow on the ground at Killington, but not as much as normal on Superstar. It doesn't sound like they will blow more there if they moved the hoses out as Skiur said.

jimmywilson69

I agree it seems unlikely though, but who knows... Its just a quick snowmobile ride along the gun line to redeploy hoses if they decided to change their mind.

Im sort of curious why they would wait until the weekend. Is it in fact too cold at night to blow? Is electric cheaper on the weekend?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I agree it seems unlikely though, but who knows... Its just a quick snowmobile ride along the gun line to redeploy hoses if they decided to change their mind.

Im sort of curious why they would wait until the weekend. Is it in fact too cold at night to blow? Is electric cheaper on the weekend?

Many mountains do get charged different rates at different times, but I don't know K's situation specifically.