• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who's Blowing Snow?

machski

I agree it seems unlikely though, but who knows... Its just a quick snowmobile ride along the gun line to redeploy hoses if they decided to change their mind.

Im sort of curious why they would wait until the weekend. Is it in fact too cold at night to blow? Is electric cheaper on the weekend?
I know at this point in the season, SR often redeploys their full time snowmakers to other work assignments on hill, often assisting lift ops since Visa holders in normal years start leaving in early March. So in their case, that may restrict when they are best able to make snow late season unless an absolute weather disaster wipes out snowpack. Today was forecast to warm up, but this weekend promises a bgger stretch of cold, even if not quite as deep. And if you are going to $pend this time of year, I think you want fresh coverage on the weekend days if at all possible to promote to your largest group of customers.

machski

SR is slowly getting power back, but Barker Basin is still out and that likely takes the snow factory offline too. Many condo complexes have come back but I know Cascade and Sunrise are still down. Tons of trees down all over the place, woods could become very deadly when snow softens on new stuff falls. Folks need to realize what was an open line before may very well not be now and not go charging in for that first run.

Newpylong

Sunday River plans to fire back up Friday and as I mentioned on K-Zone a few days ago (and as the Snow Report now says) Killington also plans to fire back up. Jimmy I replied to your question on K-Zone but it is exactly as Machski described: Because it's going to get into the 30's today. When you run this late, you don't run in marginal. Tomorrow through Sunday night are single digits with good days so it will be a more efficient run, plus better conditions for the weekend.

machski

Sunday River plans to fire back up Friday and as I mentioned on K-Zone a few days ago (and as the Snow Report now says) Killington also plans to fire back up. Jimmy I replied to your question on K-Zone but it is exactly as Machski described: Because it's going to get into the 30's today. When you run this late, you don't run in marginal. Tomorrow through Sunday night are single digits with good days so it will be a more efficient run, plus better conditions for the weekend.
Sunday River isn't waiting til Friday, just announced on Mountain Report guns come back online tonight on Amex, Ecstacy, Cascades and Tourist Trap. NEP's dropped today, so not surprised the guns light up too.

urungus

from this afternoon’s report...

Not to be outdone, Killington snowmakers know a thing or two about soft snow as well. After a short break, they’ll be back on the job Friday afternoon for a round of resurfacing and base building for the long spring ahead. We’ll keep you posted on their whereabouts as the weekend draws near.

The beast of the East!

Berkshire East, a.k.a. The “B’East” is also blowing snow this week

jimmywilson69

Roundtop and Liberty in southcentral PA at it again. This is really unprecedented to have made snow twice in March even when they were privately owned. At least in the last 21 years that I have lived here...

Is this an indication that the financials at these mountains are in "good" shape? Really hard to say as F&B was definitely down way down and lessons were probably in half

Both have had reservations opened until 3/21 which is a week longer than the reservation system has shown all season. Also that is about the weekend that Roundtop always makes it to. twice in the last 20 years has a one of these resorts stayed open until the end of March. I know this because 3/31 is my birthday and I've skied on my birthday both times.

drjeff

I'm guessing that some of these smaller areas would like to make it to "late March" for advertising purposes. The 2nd half of next week as of now sure looks like were going to get the first REAL warm air over most of ski country since the Christmas Day monsoon timeframe, If areas that fight for late March had held back on snowmaking in January since mother nature really started helping out most everyone around MLK weekend, then the reality for some,, with the forecast starting mid next week, that this weekend could very well be it for many places, and I'm sure they'd like to get to "mid March"....

jimmywilson69

yeah we have 4 days in the 60s down here with 3/1 forecast for a high of 67 and a low of 55. that's going to do some melting. Then it goes back to seasonal. I've been told the base is still deep.

I'll check it out this weekend from the parking lot while tailgating :)🍺

hopefully Jack Frost can make it to the last weekend of March as planned. That is after my 2nd follow up and I should hopefully be cleared for activity.

PAabe

Speaking for the local hills here, there is definitely still demand for them to be open and I think there will be right up until they close for the year.

Bear Creek and Spring Mountain are sold out again this weekend despite 60 degree highs last week. Spring Mountain is still blowing snow - this is the 400ft hill with 50 year old lifts that was bought out by Buckmans ski shop when they went under a bit back - they were not known to be crowded in years past but have been packed this year.

People are looking for things to do and places to spend money

Newpylong

Roundtop and Liberty in southcentral PA at it again. This is really unprecedented to have made snow twice in March even when they were privately owned. At least in the last 21 years that I have lived here...

Is this an indication that the financials at these mountains are in "good" shape? Really hard to say as F&B was definitely down way down and lessons were probably in half

Both have had reservations opened until 3/21 which is a week longer than the reservation system has shown all season. Also that is about the weekend that Roundtop always makes it to. twice in the last 20 years has a one of these resorts stayed open until the end of March. I know this because 3/31 is my birthday and I've skied on my birthday both times.

Not so much an indicator of financial shape but a lot of uncertainly in March and after a slow start to season, places need to finish up strong / make it as long as people are still coming and snow lasts.

jimmywilson69

We were fortunate down here at Roundtop. They pretty much got everything but 1 slope open by new years. They have a rather powerful snowmaking system for the size of the hill and they use it well. Its just nice to see them committing to go as long as possible. We all thought Vail would shut it down on the 15th as initially planned.

skiur

Killington did blow snow today. They made snow on lower bunny.

icecoast1

Those places were goldmines when Peak bought them, could still be doing pretty well. Shocking that Vail would ok this though. Any snowmaking going on at any of the Flagship east cost resorts?

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Powder Ridge (CT) fired up last night.

I passed by some sort of park/country club today in Mass (between 128 and Framingham) and they had several fan guns going. It wasn't a hill at all, could be a XC event this weekend. I was on the wrong side of the train to get a shot of it, but there were definitely several guns fired up ~1pm. There was quite the chill to the air, espec with the wind.

chuckstah

Powder Ridge (CT) fired up last night.

I passed by some sort of park/country club today in Mass (between 128 and Framingham) and they had several fan guns going. It wasn't a hill at all, could be a XC event this weekend. I was on the wrong side of the train to get a shot of it, but there were definitely several guns fired up ~1pm. There was quite the chill to the air, espec with the wind.
Weston Ski Track. Cross country.