• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why are you not supposed to tuck your long johns into your boot?

my poor knees

I've heard from a few bootfitter guys on youtube that you should not have your longjohns tucked in your boot, just the socks. Can anyone explain why? Been doing it wrong for years!

da-bum

I usually tuck my thermal layer under my socks, with the seams, near the very top of the boots so as to not interfere with the fit. I once had it a bit lower. I don't know if the seam was resting at a point sensitive point, but the slight bulge from its overlapping fabric caused me to eventually have excruciating pain at the shin where I couldn't apply forward pressure anymore. Luckily, I just made turns utilizing angulation instead. It was just when I hit the bumps.

Smellytele

Always have either 3/4 length or keep above my boot. Always put socks on first and pull um up high so the tops are well above the boot. Then put on long Johns and also keep them above where the boot will be but below top of socks. Helps keep socks up as well
Don’t need anything to pinch or bunch in boot.

Last edited:

ThatGuy

Going to make the boots not fit as snugly as they could and also cause pressure points.

kendo

Always have either 3/4 length or keep above my boot. Always put socks on first and pull um up high so the tops are well above the boot. Then put on long Johns and also keep them above where the boot will be big below top of socks. Helps keep socks up as well
Don’t need anything to pinch or bunch in boot.
... you forgot the compression sleeve goes on both knees, after the socks and before the LJ's!

2Planker

I like the ones w/ almost No Cuff or just a small one that I can get down around ankle level.
Boots need to be TIGHT in order to get edges to bite @ speed

crank

The only reason is it can create a pressure point that hurts. When it hurts it hurts a lot.

I used to tuck my base layer into my boots and it was fine until it wasn't. It's not going to make any difference to your skiing so if it doesn't hurt go ahead and tuck.

Edd

Nothing in my boots, except my foot with a thin sock. No toe warmers or bullshit coming in at the top of the boot. Keep it pure.

da-bum

I have base layer and compression tights layer. I make sure their seams don't overlap, otherwise it would be major pain no matter how high it sits in the boot.

I also use to wear neoprene socks, which is the thinnest, non-compressive type of sock there is, except it is non-breathable so the feet are frequently damp from sweat when it came out, even with the perforated ones.

my poor knees

So it sounds like it's more of a comfort thing, I don't seem to have any problems with them bunching up and causing pressure points or discomfort, but I'm pissed I didn't consider the 3/4 length.