• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat and Attitash

Quietman

Wildcat and Attitash skied nicely on Monday and Tuesday this week. Was really impressed with the new Mountaineer quad, such a major improvement over the old triple that I rode last year. I was also impressed that they spun all of the lifts with the exception of Kachina on a slow Tuesday. Yes, the conditions were hard and fast, but I did not hit any ice on any of the groomed runs. Had a fun, fast day! Will be a blast with the new snow.

MidnightJester

Not counting yesterday Wildcat is a slanted 12" on their webcam. Monday is looking Snow tasty for leftovers

Last edited:

MidnightJester

Not counting yesterday Wildcat is at 12" on their webcam at midnight. Monday is looking Snow tasty for leftovers 😋

30 inches Sunday morning.
OMG 😲 😍 😳

Last edited:

Mainer

Did Wildcat open today? Heard of a big line at quad at 10, but not open.

MidnightJester

I cannot speak to why it was delayed Sunday but I believe it would be due to being "overwhelmed" with snow 30" and not quite enough employees and or Ski patrol to get it open fast enough to their safety liking.
Now Monday I can say they opened at 9:00am but their site said 8:30am.
Anyone on what Wildcat's normal midweek lift hours are?

First time impression Wildcat is a fun wild mountain with breath taking views of Mt. Washington. Great long runs off the top of the mountains quad lift. Rides and Ski's much larger then it looks guessing do to extra elevation drop of (2100ft) per main run. Great twisting runs that's were soft and groomed and great soft bumps for the ungroomed main black runs. Thompson brook was a great experience the first run and the second run (The Roost) not so much lol only made it 1/4 of the way to mis-riding the entrance ridge to enter the brook. I can see with the main mountains twisting runs how when icy they are not open. Just waiting at speed to send someone off trail on a twist or turn and into the trees at speed.
1000001161.jpg
1000001155.jpg
1000001157.jpg
1000001152.jpg
1000001142.jpg

Attachments

• 1000001159.jpg
    1000001159.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

2Planker

I cannot speak to why it was delayed Sunday but I believe it would be due to being "overwhelmed" with snow 30" and not quite enough employees and or Ski patrol to get it open fast enough to their safety liking.
Now Monday I can say they opened at 9:00am but their site said 8:30am.
Anyone on what Wildcat's normal midweek lift hours are?

First time impression Wildcat is a fun wild mountain with breath taking views of Mt. Washington. Great long runs off the top of the mountains quad lift. Rides and Ski's much larger then it looks guessing do to extra elevation drop of (2100ft) per main run. Great twisting runs that's were soft and groomed and great soft bumps for the ungroomed main black runs. Thompson brook was a great experience the first run and the second run (The Roost) not so much lol only made it 1/4 of the way to mis-riding the entrance ridge to enter the brook. I can see with the main mountains twisting runs how when icy they are not open. Just waiting at speed to send someone off trail on a twist or turn and into the trees at speed.
View attachment 62143
View attachment 62147
View attachment 62145
View attachment 62146
View attachment 62148
Just another day at The Cat 👍

Last edited:

Atomic

Jester - I've spent a lot of time on the Kitty and B/C up there and beside conditions just want to say every one of your pics is killer. Great view of the range on skier's left on what I imagine is Upper/Middle Wildcat? The light in the tree shots is crazy magical. Good on ya...

MidnightJester

It was a nice enough day and quiet enough to get a bunch of the shots without losing a lot of time on mountain : ) A little focusing and moving the camera allowed for the the right shots. Also a really good camera built into my current phone.

Since you know the mountain or anyone??
When was the last time the race starting shack at the (3/4) way down upper wildcat been used??
Its a great stop spot to enjoy the View a drink or snack or break from whatever!!
1000001137.jpg
From inside the race shack

Last edited:

EPB

It was a nice enough day and quiet enough to get a bunch of the shots without losing a lot of time on mountain : ) A little focusing and moving the camera allowed for the the right shots. Also a really good camera built into my current phone.

Since you know the mountain or anyone??
When was the last time the race starting shack at the (3/4) way down upper wildcat been used??
Its a great stop spot to enjoy the View a drink or snack or break from whatever!!
View attachment 62204
From inside the race shack
It's probably been more recent than this, but I just missed using before Super G moved to Illusion on Bear Peak at Attitash. Last race I know happened was Feb 2002. Quite possible another one or two happened since then. I know college GS was being raced at Wildcat circa 2010, but I don't know if they would start quite that high.

eatskisleep

It looks like the Cat is opening for a bonus weekend, 4/19-21, according to an email from Ski NH. Sure beats Cannon closing 6 days early.
About time!! Props to Vail. I still won’t ski there because I don’t support Vail but it is good to see a bit more of an effort being made.

soposkier

Made it to Attitash today for the first time. Liked the mountain a lot. Was with my six year old son and intermediate snowboarding wife, so only got one solo run on one of the blacks off attitash, going to ski great tomorrow for closing day when it warms up. Really liked the mountain, no crowds. Does the place get especially crowded during peak season? The mountaineer was great, can only imagine how different skiing there is now vs the old lift. My son loved bear peak. The progression quad was great to lap a few times. We regretted making the trip to bear with a snowboarder, she ended up taking a shuttle back rather than attempting the traverse again. But the bar made waiting just fine. Probably will pick up a cheap epic day pass for next year, $52 at the moment.

chuckstah

Made it to Attitash today for the first time. Liked the mountain a lot. Was with my six year old son and intermediate snowboarding wife, so only got one solo run on one of the blacks off attitash, going to ski great tomorrow for closing day when it warms up. Really liked the mountain, no crowds. Does the place get especially crowded during peak season? The mountaineer was great, can only imagine how different skiing there is now vs the old lift. My son loved bear peak. The progression quad was great to lap a few times. We regretted making the trip to bear with a snowboarder, she ended up taking a shuttle back rather than attempting the traverse again. But the bar made waiting just fine. Probably will pick up a cheap epic day pass for next year, $52 at the moment.
I skied my only day there on Sunday of February school vacation week and the place was deserted. Basically ski on everywhere. Conditions were horrendous, my worst day of the season. (Full disclosure, my once or twice a year friend thought it was pretty good, but yuk). I do love the terrain when the getting is good.
The new summit lift is great, definitely a game changer. A number of years ago a swore I would never go back until that lift was replaced. While my return didn't work out, I look forward to catching it on a good day. Glad you caught it good.