• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat and Attitash

doublediamond

Why are people lamenting the loss of the gondolas? It’s just yet another example of Vail’s Cut-Cut-Cut mentality. They have 0 fucks to give for NH other than the Epic Pass sales.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why are people lamenting the loss of the gondolas? It’s just yet another example of Vail’s Cut-Cut-Cut mentality. They have 0 fucks to give for NH other than the Epic Pass sales.

I enjoyed the gondolas the few times I went up in summer. They were old school and cool. Seemed more like a "ride" to me than the chair.

But yes, cost savings measure from Vail.

BodeMiller1

Because maintaining a DH MT Bike park is A LOT of work. I rode rescue for SR when they had it in the 90's into 2000's. Fun YES but we had a ton of trail work and NORBA races back then... Needed 10-20 staff everyday. Major carnage, Bikes in pieces, people in pieces...

Vail collects $$ for the lift ride, that's it. Minimal expenses for them
There is a lot of competition in the Down Hill Mountain biking market. All the big players are in on the "cost center". Why drive to Mt Washington Valley when you can go to highlands?

Attachments

• Kitty Cat.jpg
    Kitty Cat.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1

BodeMiller1

Hiking at Wildcat is great, the trails at the bottom and up. Lots of good signage. No way lifts go to the top. What is it 10 minute scramble to the top of the cone. Best view of My Chachoria.(spelling)

Attachments

• IMG_20240905_190359.jpg
    IMG_20240905_190359.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

drjeff

I’ve been known to frequent there. Just don’t tell my wife…👍
I *might* of bought a few bacon egg and cheese biscuits from that establishment in the past on my way from the Wolfeboro area where my grandparents used to live on up to ski country... 😉

2Planker

My Dad taught there from the late 60's until they closed. Remember Willie Kalenuk (sp)? Hired my Dad Mace Campbell.
SR had a guy named Frank Lundblad who patrolled at Whittier for 30 years until it closed in 1985.
Then he slid on over to SR and continued to patrol well into his 80’s. Super nice guy 👍

Last edited: