• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat and Attitash

oldfartrider

I don’t think it’s any kind of a secret when you can read all about it on New England ski history.com

2Planker

The best run at Wildcat isn’t on the map. Thompson Brook accessed about a third of the way down on skiers right off Polecat or Catnap (forget which). The snow needs to be good to fill it in. In a good snow year it’s an incredible run.
Awww man. Givin away secrets

MidnightJester

Christ. Let people go find it For themselves . I don’t even go there and I want to smack you upside the head.

I don't see it that way exactly and you still have to find it and explore it. Having some for-knowledge can make exploring a mountain a major difference of enjoyment.

Find what for Themselves(more fun) or reasons to go to a Mountain?? & When?? On your next trip there?? On your last lift up and (you can't explore)?? After your trip on the way home and you stop at a bar and (aren't coming back)??
The idea is to bring along future Skiers & Riders, To help make and grow people to be better skiers and riders, To Make people want to go to mountains to enjoy or explore they haven't been to yet!!

I never have been to Wildcat yet.
I am 7 hours away from Wildcat. Those blue lines and "Sidecountry" for someone like me that far away helps me want to go there. Finding out while you are there for the day and then cant check out or enjoy the (off track or hidden area) is not the way for me to explore or like a mountain as much or even want to go to it at all in the first place if its a distance.

A quick look for "Sidecountry" or "Backcountry" and Wildcat seems at (this point) to outclass Attitash in that category but it might have some unlisted trails or areas too.

Last edited:

snoseek

I wouldnt count on exploring too much at Attitash. I can think of one cool off map shot but the snow needs to be just right. Everything else is tight as hell from what I can see.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wouldnt count on exploring too much at Attitash. I can think of one cool off map shot but the snow needs to be just right. Everything else is tight as hell from what I can see.

I've seen vids of an incredible gully in-between the two peaks accessed from the Attitash side, but it apparently needs a huge base. Never skied it and I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to.

snoseek

I've seen vids of an incredible gully in-between the two peaks accessed from the Attitash side, but it apparently needs a huge base. Never skied it and I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to.
Yeah there's some nice trees heading that way but I've never gone all in. It looks like a ton of work and tight as fuck

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah there's some nice trees heading that way but I've never gone all in. It looks like a ton of work and tight as fuck

I can't seem to find it, but there's a YouTube video of some kids skiing out there that I watched a few years back. Pretty similar scenario as T Brook with a long narrow luge track out to a steep river bed and then a long run out that exits down by the bridge between the two peaks at the base. I essentially think they were skiing the Upper reaches of that stream that splits the two peaks

oldfartrider

I find the trails on the original side of Attitash way more interesting than the Bear Peak side which I find boring modern wide trails of the type u find all over the mountain at sr.

2Planker

I find the trails on the original side of Attitash way more interesting than the Bear Peak side which I find boring modern wide trails of the type u find all over the mountain at sr.
Built by Les O. in the early 90's....

snoseek

If les ever manages to pull off the balsams project I hope to christ they don't cut big wide boring swaths like they did all through the 90s.

snoseek

WOW The Cat is phenominal right now.

Got in to T Brook for the first time in 2-3 years SWEET
Yeah today was one of my best. Over 30k of total exploration all over and hit zero rocks all day. The mtn is skiing consistently great. Now that the base is set here's to more.

MidnightJester

Was wondering how Wildcat, Attitash and the rest of the New Hampshire Ski mountains and Resorts do on Presidents day weekends? DO they have off throughout their state? Do they get ultra packed or just regular weekend crowds?

They have a chance of being a possible winner from the Thursday night Clipper snow storm and was Considering them as they "ARE NOT" blacked out on Epic Local pass for this weekend just like Okemo and Mt Snow aren't blacked out.

Ouch!!
Wildcat is down to 18/48 trails. Did they lose that much or are they Holding trails closed till the weekend?
Attitash is 50/76

Last edited:

drjeff

Was wondering how Wildcat, Attitash and the rest of the New Hampshire Ski mountains and Resorts do on Presidents day weekends? DO they have off throughout their state? Do they get ultra packed or just regular weekend crowds?

They have a chance of being a possible winner from the Thursday night Clipper snow storm and was Considering them as they "ARE NOT" blacked out on Epic Local pass for this weekend just like Okemo and Mt Snow aren't blacked out.

Ouch!!
Wildcat is down to 18/48 trails. Did they lose that much or are they Holding trails closed till the weekend?
Attitash is 50/76
Guessing more likely frozen solid, with not enough base to get a groomer on, and they're ropes up until hopefully after the clipper passing through tonight drops enough natural to drop some ropes again